PDA

View Full Version : how can the xbox be truly DTS and dolby dig..if the optical cable doesnt go inside?

pounder
04-21-2002, 09:47 PM
the AV packs..are the like a digital coaxial for audio..the optical cable just goes in the plug and its not like inside the actualy box..so how does the adapter bring true DTS and DD..and will any games have DTS encoding, or are they all just DD..thanx

Dre
04-21-2002, 10:09 PM
If you look on the back of the console, you'll see that the connection is Xbox-specific for the A/V stuff. Depending on which pack is connected to this output, you get the desired 5.1, stereo, svideo, composite outputs. I believe the connection therefore transmits whichever signals are necessary depending on your configuration.

LynxFX
04-21-2002, 10:09 PM
The A/V packs are basically just dongles or extentions. When you connect the optical cable it is connecting to another cable that is inside the the A/V pack and runs to the xbox where it connects to the source. The signal is digital, 1's and 0's so it doesn't care what kind of cable it is on.

I doubt we will have a DTS encoded game. The bitrate is too high and very processor dependent. It isn't impossible but I doubt it will happen. The Xbox will pass a DTS signal though from movies though. Otherwise games will still only support DD. Not every game does, but most do and pretty much all future games on the Xbox will have DD 5.1. Something no other console can say.

Dre
04-21-2002, 10:20 PM
Lynxfx, I don't usually comment on these, but your sig is sweet!

Here's a more precise answer pounder, comes from www.pcvsconsole.com

Xbox could encode DTS for games, but it would be pointless since the NVIDIA MCPX (APU) chip handles real-time Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding. For DTS encoding, the Intel CPU would have to “waste” processing power on something that should be handled by the APU. The whole purpose in having dedicated processors for graphics and sound is to offload processing from the CPU.

For interactive real-time sound in games, the audio stream is encoded in real-time. It’s not stored encoded on the DVD. Only sound samples must be stored on the game DVD, but pre-encoded Dolby Digital 5.1 sound streams are not required.

Xbox can pass through DTS sound from DVD movies and games. That means already encoded sound streams stored on the DVD can pass through to a DVD decoder. For real-time sound in Xbox games, it's very unlikely for any game developer to choose DTS over Dolby Digital.

pounder
04-21-2002, 11:55 PM
great thanx guys..i have no problems with my receiver recognizing the DD with the games, and they sound great..just was sitting here pondering about it all..thanx again..