PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Godfather Quits Microsoft!

DZNUTZ
04-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Xbox Godfather Quits Microsoft! 4/22/2002, by Jason
Seamus Blackley, the co-creator of Xbox and widely seen as the project's father, has resigned from Microsoft, Microsoft and a Blackley spokeswoman said on Monday.

"He has left Microsoft to pursue other opportunities," said James Bernard, an Xbox spokesman at Microsoft. "We value his contributions."

The news comes just days after Microsoft said it would miss its fiscal year-end sales target for the Xbox by as much as 40 percent, a shortfall it blamed on weak sales. Those weak sales led to deep price cut in Europe and Australia last week.

Blackley's spokeswoman said he would not be ready to discuss details of the new venture for another two weeks at least, and she gave no indication as to what type of business the new company will pursue.

Blackley, a physicist by training, worked at the video game arm of Hollywood movie studio DreamWorks before joining Microsoft as head of the company's Advanced Technology Group. He has been one of the Xbox's public faces from the start, even going so far as to propose to his fiance during the Xbox's launch on Nov. 15 in Times Square in New York.
Xbox Godfather Quits Microsoft!

l Maximus l
04-22-2002, 12:23 PM
I'm not too worried about it. This happens a lot in the business world. People come in, work on a specific project, and once it's done, they seek after something new to keep their interests going :)

baggachipz
04-22-2002, 01:08 PM
It kinda scares me. He was the visionary.

DZNUTZ
04-22-2002, 01:21 PM
yea max...i know how how the ball bounces in this industry (or any major biz)...but i do agree with baggachipz statement where it does somewhat worry me...he played a HUGE part in this venture.

l Maximus l
04-22-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
yea max...i know how how the ball bounces in this industry (or any major biz)...but i do agree with baggachipz statement where it does somewhat worry me...he played a HUGE part in this venture.

Good points, however, in essence, he was a "Project Manager"...and Project Managers basically start, develop, put a team together once the vision has been established, and then they launch a project. Once that project is complete, there's nothing much to do other than sit back and watch it fly. My guess is that he moved onto a new project with another company to launch another innovative idea :)

Hugh_Jass
04-22-2002, 01:45 PM
I'm not worried. There are plented of talented people with visions in this world. Besides, the hard part is over. The XBOX has launched.

Snoopy7548
04-22-2002, 02:46 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH, RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!! lol, jk, but i am kinda worried, he made a ton of contributions to the xbox, he was the main man, i remember, in one of the xbox videos i saw, he said that he was the man who had to convince everyone to buy an xbox. i hope this doesnt have an effect on anything