PDA

View Full Version : Games on PC and Xbox dilemma.

LynxFX
04-22-2002, 02:00 PM
I think I might stop buying Xbox version of games that are available on both the Xbox and the PC and just buy Xbox or console exclusive titles from now on. I was trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Game on PC:
Pros:
Graphics, just as high, if not higher with AA and high res.
Mods available for download
New maps
Free multiplayer
Made for FPS shooter, mouse and keyboard
Cheaper 99% of the time
Sometimes comes out before console version.

Cons:
Smaller monitor
Sound is great, but not always DD5.1
Sometimes comes out after console version.

Game on Xbox:
Pros:
Graphics, High but still not being utilized, and they are ignoring 1080i :mad:
Ease of playing in livingroom.
110" screen, can't go wrong there
Sometimes comes out before PC version
Usually great sound and DD5.1
Best console controller ever
Multiplayer on the couch with a friend.

Cons:
Pricey
No mouse and keyboard (controller is nice but still no contest with m&k)
Sometimes comes out after PC version.
Very little game updates.
No map editors.
Multiplayer support, coming yes, but costs money.
Lower res, no 1080i games

I don't know. It seems if a game is coming on the PC there is no point for me to get the Xbox version instead of the PC version. Take, Spiderman. It is $50 on the Xbox and I saw it for $35 on the PC. Granted, the Xbox version was nice enough to include 2 extra levels and a new boss. But is it worth it? The Xbox controller might have the advantage in that one, and I'll keep that in mind when making purchases as well.

Another example is MOH:AA. I just finished it on the PC playing at 1280x1024, max details with AA. Looked awesome, and I can continue to play it with the new mods and multiplayer for free. Also awesome gaming experience. Plus I got the blood patch. I won't buy this on the Xbox.

Unreal Championship is making me drool, but so is UT2003. Both very similar, almost identical. I believe UT2003 is scheduled to be out first but that might change after E3. I think I will have to go with UT2003 though because I know there will be a gazillion pc based mods and new levels, characters etc that might make it to the Xbox, but not a guarantee.

GTA3 is reported to be out on the PC first, so doubt I would pick that up for the Xbox either.

Halo, awesome on Xbox, won't pick it up on PC if it comes.

So I guess if a game is announced as an exclusive to consoles or the Xbox then I'll buy it for the Xbox but if a game is coming out on both then I would lean more towards the PC version.

Anyone else in this same boat? I noticed Hugh_Jass had a similar dilemma.

Spaztic
04-22-2002, 02:21 PM
I have a decent computer and I have never really liked games on the computer. The reason, I like to be lounged back and relaxed while playing games. Having one hand on a mouse and the other on the keyboard is not comfortable! (Plus I refuse to be put in the computer geek catagory!) Many say the K&M is superior but it is really just a matter of opinion. I like putting my game disk in, and the game starts up. I don't like tweaking my hardware and upgrading constantly to get a awsome gaming experience.....so in other words XBOX all the way!

Brevity
04-22-2002, 02:28 PM
I am with you on this Lynxfx. I just spent a ton on a new top of the line pc and all the added crap to make it hum. Now I am playing DS with all my time and the Xbox collects dust till Fri when I have a Halo party every week. I am really excited about some future games but if they come out for both the PC and XBOX I dont know,,,,,I think I might go w/PC.

E-Xbox
04-22-2002, 02:35 PM
i have a crappy pc
so i dont have this dilemma...

peace

Snoopy7548
04-22-2002, 02:44 PM
games on the pc will never have as good graphics as games on consoles, because when the developers make the games for the pc, they have to make it so it supports a really wide range of systems (all the way from kinda crappy to really good), so they cant really program the games to have awesome graphics

Dre
04-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Well I, much like Lynxfx it seems, have a top-end blazingly fast computer. So.. I can run at similar fps for each the xbox and pc.

Here are my arguments:

1) Multiplayer on a console will never be beaten by the pc, especially now with the advent of online console gaming.

2) Graphics: PC has higher resolution, but its a pretty penny to keep up with the trends. For example, to take full advantage of Morrowind, PC gamers will need a Geforce 4 coupled with 512 megs of ram, and a processor 1.3 GHZ or above. Price tag is much more than the price of an xbox.

3)Controls: K&M setup... its true that this setup is very powerful.. but the newer console controllers were/are being designed with that in mind, so in my opinion it is becoming less and less of an issue.

4) Sound: Nothing surprising here, obviously Xbox blows pc out of the water here with 5.1 DD. Games for PC using this technology are lacking (or don't exist??)

5)Stability: With the arrival of XP, stability is less of an issue however, Xbox is still my choice here for the winner. My computer still seems to crash every now and again, and its usually right before a savepoint! Very big pet peeve

6) Comfort: Well, my computer chair was a major expense, and since I live in the tiniest apartment in the world and my pc and tv are right beside each other, I use the same chair for both. However, its also fun to turn the tv and lay down on the bed to play Xbox!

7) Ease of use: Now I know that not everyone is a computer geek like me. I love tinkering around with my computer, but I still enjoy the ability of being able to just pop a disc in and play immediately, hassle-free, no video-settings to worry about. This isn't much of an issue for me, but I'm sure it is for quite a few people out there.

8) Price: Well, to be honest.. I hardly ever pay for my computer games.. I think I've only bought Half-life and the Blizzard games (Warcraft, Diablo series). When it comes to price of games, I definitely choose PC. Xbox games are usually 25-30$ more expensive at my EB. (I live in Canada by the way if those prices seem a bit steep to you American's :D)

9) Addons: Differences between different versions are important. If I have to pay an extra 25$ for a game I'm already buying and I know I'll have extra stuff (such as the Spiderman example that Lynxfx gave), then I'll definitely shell out the extra cash. Why not have more? I'm buying it anyways, right? But, if its an addon like a level editor or something, then I might be hesitant, just because that kind of stuff isn't really my thing (hence my decision to get Xbox version of Morrowind)

Well, those are my arguments/insight/whatever you wish to call it. It truly is a matter of personal opinion. If I know I will be playing a game for a long time, I will buy it on Xbox because I think I format my computer every couple of months installing new OS's, and trying things out.

Most of the time though, I think a rental is all I really need.. that or a download of an ISO.. oops.. did I say that out loud?

Anyways..

Cheers,
Dre

Dre
04-22-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
games on the pc will never have as good graphics as games on consoles, because when the developers make the games for the pc, they have to make it so it supports a really wide range of systems (all the way from kinda crappy to really good), so they cant really program the games to have awesome graphics

That is really far from true. Developers design with the latest and greatest in mind. They include options to turn down the graphics detail, shadowing, pixel shading, etc. for those with lower-end PC's.

You do have a point though in that with a console, a game's graphics can be pushed to the limits since hardware is uniform for everyone that plays the game. However, like I just said, PC game developers design with the highest in mind. They include the capability to tone down the visuals and stuff.