PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning discs...

Durden-XBA
04-23-2002, 05:15 AM
What do y'all reccommend for cleaning discs up? My hardware is fine, but a coupla my CD's aren't lookin' so pretty these days.

Any specific brand products anyone could rec would be REALLY helpful. Thx!

GokuX
04-23-2002, 05:18 AM
I use my shirt.

Durden-XBA
04-23-2002, 05:38 AM
Gee... Thanks. Seriously tho? Anyone?

And I even thought I 'retarded-response-proofed' my question too... Guess we found even more proof that that just isn't possible these days.

GokuX
04-23-2002, 05:57 AM
I'm serious, I just use my shirt. I used to buy disk cleaning pads, but just decided it was a waste of money. Ok, I'll offer more helpful advice. The game doctor is popular for cleaning disks or repairing them if they are scratched. My friend has one and says it does a pretty good job. Here's more info and pricing http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=174656&mscssid=06EL873D1WTR9N57263D4UFDF4386TT1&ref=1&PromoCode=&site=&siteID= or http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=189763&mscssid=06EL873D1WTR9N57263D4UFDF4386TT1&ref=1&PromoCode=&site=&siteID= if you have more money.

Durden-XBA
04-23-2002, 06:04 AM
That's more like it! Thanks a lot GX... Guess you're the man with all the answers tonite, eh? The only reason I need to know about the cleaning stuff is that my copy of Fever actually freezes up on my box due to accumulated grime, and a really small scratch... So I'd rather invest $10 or so to repair than $50 for a new one.

I guess I could always do the walmart thing and swap 'em out?!

Halo of Flies
04-23-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by GokuX
I use my shirt.
I use my shirt as well to clean CDs. If it's really bad (I'm gonna hang for this) then I spit on the CD first.
Hey, don't knock it - it works! :D

Durden-XBA
04-23-2002, 06:12 AM
But don't the fibers in cloth give the CDs even smaller scratches? I'm a little apprehensive 'cause this game already seems to be a little screwed up.

And spitting on the CD? Ack... I don't think I could bring myself to do that.

*Hocks One*

Nato King
04-23-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by GokuX
I use my shirt.

I use my shirt too. Like GokuX said it just seem to be a waste of money.:)

Halo of Flies
04-23-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Durden
spitting on the CD? Ack... I don't think I could bring myself to do that.
I must add that this is only in extreme circumstances. After the last party I had I found one of my audio CDs stuck to the table with beer. That is the type of situation that I feel is improved by a bit of saliva! :D

GokuX
04-23-2002, 06:44 AM
But don't the fibers in cloth give the CDs even smaller scratches? I'm a little apprehensive 'cause this game already seems to be a little screwed up.

And spitting on the CD? Ack... I don't think I could bring myself to do that.

*Hocks One*

Those cleaning pads I was talking about are made of cotton. Most of the shirts I own are cotton as well so they shouldn't scratch the disk any. I've never had a problem before. Ive had disks not read and then I wipe em with my shirt and they run fine. I clean all my XBox games this way and they're scratchless. If the disk already has deep scratches then the Game Doctor might be the best way to go. But for just dirt I don't know, that might be a waste of money. Oh if you do use some sort of cloth, remember to wipe from the center out while rotating the CD.

Wow Halo, I don't even know how to respond to your last post LOL.

UnitedKingdom
04-23-2002, 06:50 AM
Nothing wrong with spitting on a cd to clean it, just make sure you do it BEFORE you eat. It can get quite nasty if you've just munched a big mac and large fries.:)

jschelm
04-23-2002, 09:36 AM
DON'T USE A GAME DOCTOR TO CLEAN!!!!! Those things actually remove a layer of the plastic on the bottom of the disk so if you are repeatedly using it just to clean off fingerprints or dust then eventually it will ruin the game. Also, sometimes the game doctor, because of the swirl marks that it will put in the disk, can make games unusable. It is pretty much a last resort to repair disks that are unplayable do to scratches, because you have nothing to lose.

Kraft
04-23-2002, 09:44 AM
If you ever seriously scratch your game something fierce, try car polish. I haven't scratched any XBox games that bad yet, but I've used car polish to fix PSX, Dreamcast and audio CD's and they work just fine afterwards.

Oh, just a side note, the actual data is actually stored on the bottom side of the printed label on the top of the cd, so if you scratch the top of the game, you're screwed and just ruined a game. If you happen to set a game down without its case, make sure to put it plastic side down so you can read the label.

DCavalera
04-23-2002, 09:54 AM
I also use my shirt.

Spaztic
04-23-2002, 09:57 AM
I use my shirt!

jvpunk21
04-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Don't use game doctor or any products that claim to clean. I have used several of them and each one messed up the cd or dvd permanently. Sometimes it was just a few scratches that didnt affect playback but some times it rendered it useless. Seriously, using a shirt is the best method if you are careful.

l Maximus l
04-23-2002, 10:21 AM
I use beer :D

Kraft
04-23-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
I use beer :D

Beer... must... be .... in mouth... not on DVD!!! *<i>upset at Maxi for wasting beer</i>

FlyBoy
04-23-2002, 10:29 AM
I use my undershirt usually, because the cotton they're made of is a lot softer than regular shirts with screen printing and stuff (Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, etc.). Just do it in a circular pattern around the disk and if its not in that bad of shape it will spin like a charm.

I really don't think GokuX's original response is "retarded," that was really rude of you. This is honestly about the best way to clean them I would think. I've also heard of using Turtle Wax like KraftSLU was talking about but I've never tried it on an XBOX game. Probably the worst thing to do in this situation is listen to Max (haha, beer in mouth=good... beer on xbox games=bad).:cool:

Durden-XBA
04-23-2002, 10:48 AM
Ummm... Dude... That was at the start of the thread.

It's called sarcasm.

Chill.

Or was this one too rude for you too?

Sheesh. Funny the initials your Nick is comprised of...

Kraft
04-23-2002, 11:11 AM

I dont get it...

FlyBoy
04-23-2002, 11:20 AM
Ummm... Dude... That was at the start of the thread.

It's called sarcasm.

Chill.

Or was this one too rude for you too?

It was at the start of the thread and I just read the thread now... why can't I comment on something posted less than 3 hours ago? Hmmm... I'm not trying to start anything, I just thought you were rude to someone trying to help you out by saying you "retard-proofed" your thread but still got stupid answers. Also, what's "Funny the initials your Nick is comprised of..." supposed to mean?

BTW, tight sig/avatar... fight club rules.:cool:

Durden-XBA
04-23-2002, 11:31 AM
Again... It's called sarcasm.

I'm gonna buy some cleaning stuff. That's all I needed...

That's the end of my interaction in this thread. Done.

FlyBoy
04-23-2002, 11:34 AM
hehe, sorry dude... didn't mean to make you mad. No hard feelings I hope.:D

Kraft
04-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Again... It's called sarcasm.

I'm gonna buy some cleaning stuff. That's all I needed...

That's the end of my interaction in this thread. Done.

aww.. ******. I am just really curious about the inital things. Could you please, for the sake of me knowing, explain what that was about? Been trying to figure it out for a while now...