PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind 5/15/2002

Msterrrr
04-24-2002, 05:10 PM
new ship date from EB games 5/15/02 just got an email from them I preordered the game

i'll wait a few weeks for this sucker it will be THE game for xbox over the next few months:D :D

Xtopia
04-24-2002, 05:36 PM
5/1502!:eek: That seems so far away! But oh well.
I agree, this game is going to be sweet! I have actually never played a "real" RPG, but for some reason this game just looks awesome!:p

EHWfedPres
04-24-2002, 08:18 PM
It ships on the 15th, so you cant get it until the 16th.

xfan2k2
04-24-2002, 08:43 PM
I would be happy that there taking there time, but the game is already finished, they just have to make copies of it. Why, og why cant they make copies faster??

E-Xbox
04-24-2002, 08:46 PM
DAMN!!!
i really didnt want this game to be delayed cuz i want it sooo bad!!!!

peace

BuLL-DiNK
04-24-2002, 08:48 PM
CRAAAP! i want morrowind to come out now....i cant bloody wait for that game!! i love old fashioned RPG's set back in the day.....zelda 64 (ocarina of time) has to be in my top 10 list for videogames.....majora's mask fell short....kind of a stupid game.
but Morrowind and Project Ego will pull your pants down and rape you!
thats what im saying...
so everyone go out there on the 15th of may and spend your paycheck on Morrowind!

E-Xbox
04-24-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by BuLL-DiNK
CRAAAP! i want morrowind to come out now....i cant bloody wait for that game!! i love old fashioned RPG's set back in the day.....zelda 64 (ocarina of time) has to be in my top 10 list for videogames.....majora's mask fell short....kind of a stupid game.
thats what im saying...
so everyone go out there on the 15th of may and spend your paycheck on Morrowind!
LOL @ BD!!!
i will be pickin it up fa sho!

peace

JJaX
04-25-2002, 07:40 AM
thats what im saying...

umm errr :confused:

Last time i played Zelda 64 it was a adventure game, Not an RPG.

UnitedKingdom
04-25-2002, 08:40 AM

Wow, computer games are getting quite interactive these days. I'm too scared to buy Morrowind and Project Ego after reading this.:confused:

anthrax0r
04-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Thank God --

Now i Can actually study for my finals instead of playing morrowind :D :D

l Maximus l
04-25-2002, 11:12 AM
I hate to say it, but, I'm going to pass on Morrowind. I know I know I know....I just have never been into RPGs. The game looks cool and all...it just seems too slow. Hopefully I'm in grave error and the game is fast paced and fun! I figure that if I am going to be initiated into the RPG genre, I'll wait for Project Ego instead.

Please don't bash me for this...I just am not the biggest RPG dude...know what I mean?

Kraft
04-25-2002, 11:23 AM
*Looks for a big rock to bash Max with *

j/k. I've had mixed feelings on RPGs. I love the new types of action rpgs coming out (a 'la Diablo and DiabloII) With real-time fighting instead of turn based. Don't get me wrong, turn based can be fun too. Chronotrigger is one of my favorite games of all time. But action RPGs are more fun as far as I'm concerned.

*Locates a rock... It's a ROLLING ROCK! MUhahahahahaha*

Msterrrr
04-25-2002, 11:39 AM
lets just hope this game lives up to the hype we dont need another RAW:confused: :confused:
my first true RPG too xtopia since the zelda series

i know what ya mean max about genre's im not too keen on the fighting games myself no matter how good they are

few more weeks got triple play and rallisport to keep me busy till then

:D :D

frog11983
04-25-2002, 01:22 PM
How could you even think to compare this with RAW???????

I crrrrrush you :mad:

=w=

Msterrrr
04-25-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by frog11983

=w=

i wasnt comparing it too RAW read it again maybe ~~~~slower~~~~~~~ this time

JJaX
04-25-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Msterrrr

i wasnt comparing it too RAW read it again maybe ~~~~slower~~~~~~~ this time

I DonH UndaStAn!

Bwhahahaah, Some people just dont think before they post :D

But i knew what you meant MsssSTrtrtr

Kraft
04-25-2002, 02:44 PM
Hibbity Jibbity Zim-Balla banana-fanna cookoo loco mambo ja-jinga faragonor...

Sorry, That was me posting without thinking first.

Msterrrr
04-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by frog11983

=w=

HARDY HAR HARRRRRRRRRR
:eek: :eek:

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 03:08 PM
I'll be sure ot get morrowind on the 16th (the day it comes out, not to be commly confused with the shipping date)...

But if you think about it...every game is basically an RPG. RPG stands for Role Playing Game...where you Play the Role of a person/character. You can play the role of Max Payne, or a racer in a racing game...

Dre
04-25-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
I hate to say it, but, I'm going to pass on Morrowind. I know I know I know....I just have never been into RPGs. The game looks cool and all...it just seems too slow. Hopefully I'm in grave error and the game is fast paced and fun! I figure that if I am going to be initiated into the RPG genre, I'll wait for Project Ego instead.

Please don't bash me for this...I just am not the biggest RPG dude...know what I mean?

Too each his own right? Remember though Max, try renting it for fun on a rainy weekend.. especially if the wife is outta town or something.. I'm thinking you only need to experience it..

Granted this game isn't for everyone's tastes.. no game is.. but I still think that everyone should at least try out the huge release titles for xbox.

Anyways.. I don't know why I'm posting this here, but what do you guys think of my new sig? Thanks to the Joker!!

Its the main character of project ego across the skyline of Tamriel (the world of Morrowind) and its two moons.

JJaX
04-25-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I'll be sure ot get morrowind on the 16th (the day it comes out, not to be commly confused with the shipping date)...

But if you think about it...every game is basically an RPG. RPG stands for Role Playing Game...where you Play the Role of a person/character. You can play the role of Max Payne, or a racer in a racing game...

*SMack*

i cant even think of a good analogy here.......
Thats like saying theres no such thing as different types of muisc. Cause its all music right?? (ahh derr)

Well anywho, i was was wondering...

What role are you playing when you play tetris?

l Maximus l
04-25-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Too each his own right? Remember though Max, try renting it for fun on a rainy weekend.. especially if the wife is outta town or something.. I'm thinking you only need to experience it..

Granted this game isn't for everyone's tastes.. no game is.. but I still think that everyone should at least try out the huge release titles for xbox.

Anyways.. I don't know why I'm posting this here, but what do you guys think of my new sig? Thanks to the Joker!!

Its the main character of project ego across the skyline of Tamriel (the world of Morrowind) and its two moons.

Yeah...I hear ya, Dre...I agree...I'll atleast rent it and see if I like it. Who knows, maybe I'm an RPG gamer?! I know the hype on this game is huge...but, I hope it can live up to it. I have more confidence that Project Ego will live up to the hype. In one sense, I think Morrowind is hyped up a lot only because it's the first true RPG on the XBox and RPG gamers are really desperate for one...but, on the other hand, I see that it has amazing visuals and a great concept.

I'll definately check it out, but, if it's bad, I'm afraid that I may ruin my interest in RPGs altogether. That's why I figure that Project Ego would be a better bet to initiate myself into it.

Because I have a lot of faith in my XBA comrades, I'll see the reactions from everyone first before checking it out :)

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 03:21 PM
Tetris? The role of the guy getting the block in the right order.

JJaX
04-25-2002, 03:24 PM
Tetris? The role of the guy getting the block in the right order.

Bwhahaha

your funny mister!

Msterrrr
04-25-2002, 03:26 PM
*******me stackem blocks real good*****

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 03:27 PM
who cares, tetris sucked anyway.

JJaX
04-25-2002, 03:29 PM
http://www.slothsgoonies.homestead.com/files/sloth.jpg
Today i learned that every game is a RPG. Because you play the Role of something!

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 03:33 PM
at least you learned something...but what seriously sets an RPG apart from an action/adventure game?

Dre
04-25-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Today i learned that every game is a RPG. Because you play the Role of something!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG THAT WAS FUNNY!!!!

And Max, Morrowind is also coming out on PC. Its the 3rd part in the elder scrolls series (all done by the same devs) and both previous titles (Arena and Daggerfall) redefined the RPG genre and won tons of game and rpg game of the year awards. That is the main reason why this game has been hyped up so much (the PC following for this title is 100-fold over the xbox). The devs have the ability to do everything they say they are doing and past experience proves it. Its also the 1st game to use pixel-shading techniques (that I've heard of anyways).. which if any of you don't know is this (http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11779&goto=newpost) )

Well, I guess I should go study..

[EDIT] I forgot to mention that I have yet to see anything other than a praising review/preview for this game and I've read quite a few!

Good one Jjax

Msterrrr
04-25-2002, 03:38 PM
***ding ****ding,,,,,,,, i see a flame war brewing

Dre
04-25-2002, 03:40 PM
at least you learned something...but what seriously sets an RPG apart from an action/adventure game?

Character development

[edit]Oops.. It posted without me being done..

so:
-character development
-story: sure, action adventure games have them but not on the scale of a welldone RPG. Morrowind has 6 novels worth of text. You don't have to read it all obviously, but its there if you want to!
-no stupid jumping puzzles

I think those first 2 are the 2 major things that set RPG's apart. The 3rd is also true.. but you know.. not really a huge thing.

Anyways, I guess one word to describe an RPG is EPIC.

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 03:41 PM
Nah, Jjax is cool. I know he;s just joking around. I remember him from back in the day, when I used my other name, BiohazardEHW

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Character development

The characters develop in Hunter: The Reckoning, does that make it an rpg? You can get upgrades in Gunvalkyre, is that an RPG?

Dre
04-25-2002, 03:49 PM

The characters develop in Hunter: The Reckoning, does that make it an rpg? You can get upgrades in Gunvalkyre, is that an RPG?

You read my post when it wasn't finished.. please look above.. it posted by mistake.

And to answer your q's, those games have RPG elements in them but that does not make them RPG's.

I just found this article, I haven't completely read it yet, but from what I have it looks good:
http://hometown.aol.com/MarkJYoung/Multiverse.html

Role playing games, known as RPG's, are still relatively new to the world, and some of the uninitiated may not understand them. Even those who have played one or more RPG's may have difficulty describing a phenomenon which appears at first blush to be completely unlike anything with which we are familiar. This in fact is not true. RPG's are very like at least two other kinds of experiences which will help both seasoned players and novices better understand how they work and why they work, and further why they appeal to so many people so deeply.
The role playing game is like a book. The referee and the player (for simplicity, one player in this analogy, although the number of players only enhances the result) are co-authors of the book. The referee's task is to provide the setting. The setting includes the milieu--are we in a medieval castle, an American western, a spy thriller, or a spaceship--but it goes beyond the mere backdrop. He is responsible for all the secondary and minor characters, including villains, resource people, associates, motivators, monsters, and any others. He establishes where the action begins, who is there, and what props are available. The player controls one character, the hero of the story. As the hero enters the scene, he explores it, reacts to it, and ultimately acts purposefully within it. The referee reveals the world as the hero explores it, and ultimately reacts to the hero's actions. The story is created.

It is more interesting, more suspenseful, than writing a story alone, or even than collaborating in a story, because the player does not know what the world holds until his character manages to uncover it, and the referee cannot predict how the hero will act until those actions are announced. Thus, neither of our cooperating authors knows what the result will be or how it will be accomplished. In fact, even if the referee created a world with a clear specific objective and the player decided that the hero would pursue that objective, neither has any guarantee that the objective will be reached, or that the path will be without surprises. Since the referee and the player follow their own respective tasks as they progress, the story unfolds in ways unexpected by either of them. So the game lets you enjoy an entirely new story, and as it progresses we enjoy further new stories with our favorite hero in them, someone we relate to because we as players created him.

But the role playing game is still a game. It is tempting to think that it is an entirely new game. It in fact owes a great deal of what it is to the very complex simulation games which preceded it; but it is less like those and more like a more familiar game all of us once played.

Think back to when we were young--younger than that. We use to play role-playing games of various types. Cops & Robbers, Cowboys & Indians, and Spies were popular among the boys of my neighborhood. (The girls played House, which is also a role playing game, but is less useful for this illustration.) All went well until you shot somebody and said, "I shot you; you're dead"--only to have him say, "No, you missed", or "I'm wearing a bullet proof vest", or "You were out of bullets". Then the game failed, because you realized that there was no way for anyone to win as long as no one else was willing to lose: whatever happened, the other guy was not beaten until he decided he wanted to lose, so you couldn't win. After that realization, you stopped playing.

RPG's let you play again. Now you can pretend to be the cop (or the robber), the cowboy (or the indian), or the spy, and when you shoot, you no longer argue about the result. There are clear rules to identify hits and misses, the presence, absence, and effects of various protections, the number of shots in the gun, and any other variable which affect the outcome; there are dice which control which shots hit and which miss so that the player doesn't always get his way but doesn't always fail, and the decision is random without being arbitrary; and there is a referee, an individual with no special interest in whether the shot is successful or failed (after all, the non-player characters may be within his control, and he may even be fond of them, but they are not his in the same sense that the player characters belong to the players) who can fairly determine what the outcome is both when the rules clearly do apply and when there is some uncertainty as to whether or how they apply. So the game resumes, and you are a kid again, playing in your own back yard but far away in another world. We have returned to the best summer days of our childhood.

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 03:53 PM
But still, if you think about it in the long run, only Morrowind and Project Ego are the only TRUE rpg's. Every other RPG, like Final Fantasy and all those *** linear pieces of crap for the PoS2 are merely just very in-depth action/adventure games at heart.

Dre
04-25-2002, 03:58 PM
But still, if you think about it in the long run, only Morrowind and Project Ego are the only TRUE rpg's. Every other RPG, like Final Fantasy and all those *** linear pieces of crap for the PoS2 are merely just very in-depth action/adventure games at heart.

Well, if you get into specifics, Morrowind and Project Ego are CRPG's. You'll often find them named this only on RPG websites since they kinda know what they're talking about. A CRPG is a classic RPG. If you wanted to be really nitpicky I could go through all the differences between a CRPG and an RPG, but I think simply by saying that FF's are RPGs and Morrowind is a CRPG, the difference is quite clear.

BTW

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Well basically MOrrowind and Ego are massive multiplayer games with only one person, and a very in-depth character development system that effects how the whole game evolves...thats a REAL rpg.

Kraft
04-25-2002, 04:13 PM
You know what is even better than RPGs? Beer. You know whats better than Beer? Two beers.... Whats better than 2 beers? 3 beers... *trails off into infinity*

<i>This break in reality has been brought to you by KB. Hope it has improved your mood and made you think about beer</i>

OppiumNitrates
04-25-2002, 04:17 PM

ok but how many skills does ur charicter have, and how amny races of players can u choose from adn how many classes of races are there for your charicter. . . i think here is a good point to use that word epic again

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 04:19 PM
The number of different races and such in non-important to rpg's. You can only play as one member of one race at one time, so the others have no effect on the direct gameplay at the present time.

ftyards
04-25-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
JJax you crazy as hell I seen this sh t and start laughing so damn hard people at work probably looked at me like whats wrong with this dude, thanks for the good laugh. Why is it every thread I look at with EwhfedPres he is getting into it with someone.

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by ftyards

Why is it every thread I look at with EwhfedPres he is getting into it with someone.

If you remember correctly, I never started any of it. But Im not here to flame, however, I will defend myself in an arguement if need be.

l Maximus l
04-25-2002, 04:22 PM

If you remember correctly, I never started any of it. But Im not here to flame, however, I will defend myself in an arguement if need be.

Geez, dude...you are definately acting stubborn today. Dude...KraftSLU had a great idea..have a beer :p

OppiumNitrates
04-25-2002, 04:24 PM
The number of different races and such in non-important to rpg's. You can only play as one member of one race at one time, so the others have no effect on the direct gameplay at the present time.

im just pointing out that u dont pick the major skills your charicter starts with. . .u just pick the charicter and play. . . . besides one major differance between hunter and marrowwind other then the diff genres. . . . is that marrowind is skill based and hunter is experience based

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 04:28 PM
Sorry Maximus, I just hate being falsely accused...but oh well...sorry man.

And I think you have a point OppiumNitrates. But im all for non-linear games...linear rpg's I find boring and lack replay value...

DZNUTZ
04-25-2002, 04:53 PM
-dznutz sneaks into this thread...manages to blurt out (between his non stop laughing at jjax's post) "WWF RAW WAS A GOOD GAME" and runs out of the thread before people can start throwing chit at him-

EHWfedPres
04-25-2002, 05:00 PM
RAW was a good game...until it came out.

frog11983
04-25-2002, 11:12 PM
Easy fellas, easy... geez, no one can take sarcasm anymore. My comment was nothing more than that, I meant no harm! I have never actually played RAW, I am not into wrestling, but from what I heard, it really sucked. And another thing "I crrrush you" is from a Kids in the Hall skit, geez la weez...

Msterrrr
04-26-2002, 04:35 PM
hey frog no harm done ,,sarcasm kinda hard to pull off in text without hearing the tone of someones voice

kids in the hall thats some good stuff ever see the skit when the ladies date falls asleep and the dog starts humping the guy,, funny stuff!!:) :)

counting the days till morrowind:eek: :eek:

RAW was a good game...until it came out.,, lolol true

knns
04-26-2002, 11:03 PM
stupid neaked monkeys