PDA

View Full Version : Real-time? Or turn-based?

khaos2005
04-24-2002, 05:50 PM
My friend and I got into a casual discussion (read: a heated argument) over RPG combat systems. We couldn't reach a decision as to which is better (our opinions considered), real-time combat engines, or turn-based engines. The only turn based engine I have ever played was FFX. I didn't really like it, however the time I played was short. I am sure I could grow to appreciate it more. But as of right now I like real-time better. Seeing as Morrowind is real-time, I am pretty happy about that.

So how about you guys? Which do you like best?

Dre
04-24-2002, 07:12 PM
I think it all depends on the game. I find the system works very well in the FF series since you can't see the monsters when you walk around (I've only played up to 7.. don't know if this has changed).

I must say that I prefer real-time because it makes it so much easier to stay enthralled in the fantasy world you are playing in. More like you are actually controlling that person.. I find that turn-based can sometimes just make you feel like you are guiding the combat and not actually part of it.. if ya know what I'm saying..

khaos2005
04-25-2002, 06:00 AM
Thanks Dre for your input.

Anyone else? It really isn't a very hard poll.:D

EHWfedPres
05-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Real Time indeed. If you want turn based, play a board game.

preetz16
05-02-2002, 08:39 AM
I can definetely see the advantages and good things about a turn based system, but for me it's not all that fun. If I play a game I want some sort of action, and some sort of idea that I'm controlling my chararchter and I'm telling him/her (exactly) what to do.
Actually though I really like where the good RPGs tend to be going. Games such as Morrowind, Project Ego, and KOTOR do exactly what I want rpgs to do. They do have stats and they do have to crunch numbers....but they do it in real time. If any of you have ever played Diablo you know what I'm talking about. It's a perfect balance between player skill, and the in-game character's skill. Even if you can hit the button 10 times per second, it won't matter if you don't have a high enough skill level in the weapon you're using.

Anonymous
05-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Games such as the Fallout I, II, and Tactics are excellent examples of turn-based games.

X-Com and Freedom Force are also excellent forms of turn-base gameplay.

It would be great to have something like that ported over to the console.

EHWfedPres
05-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Morrowind will be alot like Ultima Online, combat-wise. You dont "level up", you gain skills by using them often, and its all real time...ahh, brings back the old memories of my Ultima Online days...

Toast
05-03-2002, 10:24 PM
real time brings the essence of a first person shooter, kinda.
I hate turn-based, but then again i hate ff