PDA

View Full Version : Fifa Wc 2002

Woocifer
04-25-2002, 07:52 AM
I played it last night if ANYONE cares...I can't believe there aren't any soccer fans on this forum. I personally am not the biggest, but I like to play soccer games...

The graphics on this game are not the most impressive. Actually at some points in time you could see through the joints, eyes and cheeks of the players.

The presentation is like its a gladiator event...symphonics, screaming crowds, slow motion...it's actually a little cheesey, but adds to the intensity.

The control in this game is similar to other FIFA games...though they've been getting a little more loose with the direction the ball goes in and what happens on the field. I will say this though, the collision on the men is pretty damn good... I slide tackled a guy, and it looked like he tripped for no reason because I was way behind him. But in fact in the replay they show me that my left foot JUST clips the other guys right foot in the air and he fell the proper way you'd expect someone like that to fall.

The modes and teams are sad. I wish FIFA would stop skimping out and just make a game with a WC in it already. There are 40+ teams to choose from which are national. So you don't get to choose WHOEVER you want to take to the WC. They have to be qualifiers from last year that made it there. That sucks...I want to play as Canada or Cambodia and see if I can make it anywhere :)

And seriously do we really need this goofy flaming ball thing? You kick the ball and it streaks like a red tail on the back of a comet. You can't tell me this is like the situation where Americans needed the pucks to glow on hockey games so they could follow them. It's a soccer ball for gods sake...and it has nothing to do with velocity because I bloop passed the ball, it hung in the air for a second before it made it to my guy 3 feet in front of me making this WHOOSH noise and had a red tail. Goofy...where are the sims, screw these stupid effects. Reminds me of NHL 2002 and their useless breakaway/save/check cameras... what are they thinking at EA? Lets make it more Fisher Price for all those enthusiasts that was authenticity in a sim? Oh right that would be a BAD idea....

Anyway the game was fun, ended up playing through the 2nd period of the Leafs game. BTW that was horrible, the refs should be shot. I'd say rent this game over the weekend to give it a shot, but you might be surprised when you beat it in the first night of playing it....then what? Play for the WC again?

score 7/10

Take it easy

Highlite23
04-27-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey Woocifer, Soccer Fan here.

I agree with all of your points about the game. it's a blast , but could have been better.
I like the announcing, but they should have gone with a different pair, it's the English soccer league if you close your eyes.

Anyway, i'm giving it an 8, only because it's a great multi-player game. Outside of that your right on.

If you like soccer you'll enjoy the game, if Football to you is only played with pads.......don't bother.

PS. I kinda like all the "Pagentry"
Took the US all the way to the WC and beat Argentina (Yeah that will happen) the game changes a little as you progress. The celebrations after a goal, ect...

Jon27
04-28-2002, 03:52 PM
i hate eas lazy ass ports, plus is the MLS in the game?

Woocifer
04-28-2002, 03:56 PM
no its just the prelims with all the national teams...and after a few round robin games you go into the elimination mode...

thats about it

Calve
04-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Hey woocifer im a soccer fan (look at my avvy and title)

the game is fun!!!

but dave beckham should be good wit club teams!!!
GO PORTUGAL!!!!!! i hope we do good in the world cup!!!!

Peace

Vteck3000
05-02-2002, 12:34 AM
If anyone is into soccer then you have to get FIFA WORLD CUP 2002. Yes i do have to agree that the graphics could of been better but hey....... it's better than nothing at all.
This is by far the most amazing soccer game i haved ever played. The last soccer game that i was in loved with was FIFA WORLD CUP on N64. That was a loooonnnnnnnngggggggg time ago and let me tell you that they have managed to keep the spirit of the old game by adding the new technology of the XBOX.
No soccer fan will be desapointed in this one. :cool:

Capt Marvel
05-02-2002, 11:23 AM
Nothin but a port of the Ps2 ver.. Sure it's a little cleaner but it does not leverage the power of XBOX. This a pass from this striker.

GOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAA

BORNGD
05-02-2002, 12:39 PM
i'm a big soccer fan, but i liked espn mls extra time better, just wish the international teams where official with the players and all

Marc
05-02-2002, 11:09 PM
I actually used to coach soccer. I love to play or watch a good soccer game. I've always been a little disappointed in the soccer games that were released on console. So much so, in fact, that I have not even tried one out on xbox. I agree that 40 teams is lame as hell. EA released a FIFA game that had ALL the countries represented for PS. If they can do it for PS, they can do it for xbox and the next gen consoles. Laziness must rule there, because what if you don't want to be one of the 40 teams that are on the game?

Woocifer
05-03-2002, 09:59 AM
Well here's the thing Marc. Because the World Cup comes up every 4 years is it? Or even if its two...sorry my mind is a blank right now, EA can capitalize on this by releasing a game specifically on the WC event.

That is horse**** and I think it's dirty... They should just include the module into that Fifa game or better just make it so you can go 2 or 4 years in a season until you get to the cup...Anyway they pre-picked on the teams that qualified to make it more realistic.

I think it's a shame...but FIFA 2003 will more than likely be out in a little while after the WC.

Wait to see what Sega does...they usually put out fun sport titles.

Capt Marvel
05-03-2002, 10:49 AM
I think I have the answer to your teams not being available in Xbox ver of FIFA.... Sony is a major sponsor of Football in Europe..Right everyone agrees... So more than likely the teams that are missing have sponsorship aggreements with Sony and can't be included in the Xbox ver...

Another Mystery solved..

Woocifer
05-03-2002, 10:55 AM
Nah because all systems have this game and they are all the same.. its JUST the World Cup thats why.

I mean you can't include teams that didn't make it this year into the World Cup...it wouldn't make sense. Fifa has always made their normal games, and then their World Cup games seperate since 98 or something like that...

IT sucks...just wait for the normal Fifa to come out and then set up your own tournaments in it. It's a mock World Cup, but its the best you can do with your league of choice.

boygerms
05-03-2002, 06:39 PM
i cannot believe how absolutely horrifying the closeups of the player's faces are! fortunately the gameplay makes up for it.

the faces on goldeneye for n64 were more realistic.