PDA

View Full Version : what will happen to XBconnect when XboxLive comes out

OppiumNitrates
04-26-2002, 11:37 AM
think money hungry microsoft will let them stick around and keep them from getting some buisness. . . can they even do anything?? i mean their not profiting from it

silvertrace
04-26-2002, 11:42 AM
personally i don't think MS has anything to worry about......they are going to have a wide variety of games that will play online.....so xbconnect won't really challenge them.........IMO

also it shows MS that there is alot of potential for xbox online since programs like lagspy and xbconnect are popular........IMO

also, be sure to check out the newest version of xbc........v1.0f

it drops sometime today......it is an update of v1.0e and it gets more bugs out for the chat feature.......

OppiumNitrates
04-26-2002, 11:45 AM
didnt 1.0e just come out like last night???

silvertrace
04-26-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
didnt 1.0e just come out like last night???

check the site: www.xbconnect.com

bio was tryin to work out some bugs with the chat feature and people were complaining about the activation code......so he got rid of em..................

Big Ups to biohazard for the work he's done with xbc.........it is honestly the best program for playing halo online..........NO CHIT

OppiumNitrates
04-26-2002, 11:53 AM
hell yeah it the best . . . mad props to everyone on the team at XBC. . . i would love to see the source code for that. . . i never used gamesp but people at XBC allways say that XBC is faster

i thought the chat of 1.0e was fine more interactive. . . and u can see all the people on too.. . . but that activation cade was kinda silly glad they 86ed that
ill be D/L that as soon as i get home

Kraft
04-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Back to the original topic, I think if MS charges for their online service... then we can expect to see XBConnect take off. I don't use it a whole lot now because I am thinking 'eh, online play isn't super important till MS goes online'. If this ends up costing anything at all I am going to say 'screw it' and go XBConnect all the way.

OppiumNitrates
04-26-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
I don't use it a whole lot now because I am thinking 'eh, online play isn't super important till MS goes online'. If this ends up costing anything at all I am going to say 'screw it' and go XBConnect all the way.

halo is online right now. . . just cauz MS isnt controling it dont mean $#!T

and about this line "If this ends up costing anything" u thinkk XBox Live is gunna be free?? the basic package isnt even gunns include voice comm option thats gunna be extra in itself

Kraft
04-26-2002, 12:13 PM
Alright, this is probably microsoft's best plan of attack for this thing to make it successful: Don't charge a monthly fee. Charging for the program by selling it like a game would probably work out great. Hell, charge separate for the voice communicator, it doesn't matter. But once you start charging monthly for it, it seems like a bill and that ****es people off. And what really gets me is this whole 'microsoft will lose all sorts of money if they don't charge' crap. You know, if Blizzard entertainment can host 6 different servers (2 american, one europe, 2 asian and one australian) that support 4 games, going on 5, and NOT charge people for the service... Then microsoft should be able to do the same. Microsoft undoubtebly makes a lot more money than Blizzard ever will. But Blizzard is enjoying immense popularity, despite constantly delayed games and other problems that would kill most companies. About the only reason they are where they are today is thanks to free online gaming. I think if MS followed their lead, the Box could be big. Very big... Maybe even big enough to wipe away some competition and post numbers that surpass Sony.

OppiumNitrates
04-26-2002, 12:35 PM
well kraft your the guy i want on the XboxLive team debating the issue of cost. . . so go apply for the job and tell bill gates what u just said here . . . cauz ur right about blizzard and if MS went with your idea they prob would have a very sucessful online launch. . . but MS dont see it that way they see all the dollars that they are not getting, and they want to get them

Kraft
04-26-2002, 12:42 PM
Thanks OP :) Yeah, I figure thats the best route. Whether or not they do that is to be seen. I would almost expect them to: the XBox really isn't as much of a money making project for them as much as it is establishing themselves in another part of the house to advance towards their .net initiative. I thought from the start it was a mission to put the boxes in the homes, not to put the dollars in their pockets. But who knows, maybe their sights have changed. All I know is if this XBoxLive deal bombs, I've got XBConnect to fall back on!

PS. Awesome job with Vegeta's hair OP! Though whenever they go supersayan they have that cool glow around them, any chance you might add that?

JJaX
04-26-2002, 12:59 PM
Xboxconnet allows games that have system link features to be played via the internet.
It will still be used for games such as halo, THPS etc...

AS far as games that support Xboxlive, I dont think XBC will have anything to do with that. Im sure those games will have some sort of staging room that XBC could never replicate being the software will be right on the actual game disc.

Ninja Scroll
04-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Whether you like it or not, Microsoft is gonna charge something for getting online with their offical XboxLive Network.
If you think other wise you need to stop smokin dat stuff yo!:cool:

OppiumNitrates
04-26-2002, 01:43 PM
PS. Awesome job with Vegeta's hair OP! Though whenever they go supersayan they have that cool glow around them, any chance you might add that?

thankz bro. . . and they do glow when they r powering up or are powered up. . . ill see what i can do there

and

Jjax good point about the software being right on the game i didnt even consider that. . . now that i think about it XB connect would only be able to connect games that r sytem link. . . so what if a game was online compatable and sys link compatable

would u be able to play that game on eigher XBC or LIVE??

JJaX
04-26-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

thankz bro. . . and they do glow when they r powering up or are powered up. . . ill see what i can do there

and

Jjax good point about the software being right on the game i didnt even consider that. . . now that i think about it XB connect would only be able to connect games that r sytem link. . . so what if a game was online compatable and sys link compatable

would u be able to play that game on eigher XBC or LIVE??

Well if it supports System link, Then Yes it would work on XBC.

Kraft
04-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Actually, that remains to be seen with the software being emulated or not with XBconnect. If you think about it, the system link is softare based on the disk, just like this new software you are talking about. The only thing the program would have to do is fool the box into thinking that its going through the MS network. Going back to Blizzard, people have created their own networks that let them use their own servers and such, but still run off the blizzard B.Net software, even though the software is built directly into the game

PS. sorry I keep bringing blizzard up, but they have more online experience than most companies I know of, and serve as a wonderful benchmark for the whole XBoxLive project.

OppiumNitrates
04-26-2002, 02:08 PM
The only thing the program would have to do is fool the box into thinking that its going through the MS network.

heh heh. . . he said "fool the box". . . heh heh

and dont apologize for bringing up blizzard cazu they r a great company. . . Warcraft orcs and humans was my fav game when it came out and Tides of darkness rocked also. . .

JJaX
04-26-2002, 02:10 PM
Isnt Vegeta Dead, Cause he blow him self Up to try to defeat BOo?

And is he in any sort of after life like Goku? I never saw what happened after Vegeta Blew Up.