PDA

View Full Version : Why the Xbox will dominate....

Severe_Tire_Damage
09-23-2001, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Caelth(on another forum)

Firstly, because it is Microsoft and they have enough money to even promote ice on Antarctica. They also pumped in enough money, so they are not going to give up on it soon because it would hurt them not only financially in the long run, but also seriously damage their pride and creditibility.

Secondly, Microsoft does not have to be, what many of you refer to as, a gaming company. Sony had much less software expertise when they released PlayStation and they were able to dominate console market easily sticking a tongue out to both Nintendo and Sega. They also has never developed games before, while Microsoft does it, through third party houses but still, for at least last six years. Microsoft does not have to write games. They provide wonderful and capable piece of hardware and great software development kits. They know how to do them because of their past experiences with both DirectX and Visual C++, which is considered the best C++ Windows development tool by many.

Thirdly, what the heck is in this lack of mouse and keyboard for XBox? Why so many people point that out? Do you have announced keyboard and mouse for GameCube? With broadband, it is time to have voice communication anyway.

Fourthly, I am not a big fan of Nintendo. For me, they are a company that makes games for kids. All they can think of is creating another average Marios (there are better platformers than that), not too ambitious Zeldas (no story and "take item A to place B in order to get item C" is what I had back in days of Commodore 64 RPGs), and Pokemons (let's not even go there). They are all average games that sell well only because of great marketing strategists that Nintendo hires. It is cool to like Zelda like it is cool to listen to *NSync when you're a teenage girl. Ok, I am being a little harsh on them but they are truly not my type.

Fifthly, there seems to be a lot of Sega support towards GameCube these days. But let's not forget that if Nintendo does not pay Sega to develop exclusive titles, sooner or later we are going to see them all on other platforms, simply because GameCube is never going to have bigger market share than PS2, never. And... Yu Suzuki prefers Xbox.

Sixthly, Xbox comes with HDD and ethernet while GameCube does not. Remember, additional hardware for consoles does not sell well, so who do you think is going to have an advantage with online offensive?

Seventhly, Namco and Capcom is not going to develop their every title for GameCube because Nintendo does not like violence and gore on their system.

Finally, I am fully for XBox and even if it turns out to be unsuccessful, which I seriously doubt with huge players backing it up, I still have my PS2 waiting for its prime time.

:D Doesnt that get yer blood-a-pumpin'? :D

Koopa
09-24-2001, 12:22 AM
sorry to burst your bubble but i have to point out a few things.

Fourthly, I am not a big fan of Nintendo. For me, they are a company that makes games for kids. All they can think of is creating another average Marios (there are better platformers than that), not too ambitious Zeldas (no story and "take item A to place B in order to get item C" is what I had back in days of Commodore 64 RPGs), and Pokemons (let's not even go there). They are all average games that sell well only because of great marketing strategists that Nintendo hires. It is cool to like Zelda like it is cool to listen to *NSync when you're a teenage girl. Ok, I am being a little harsh on them but they are truly not my type.
this shows, first of all, that he's pretty biased. dissing a game that got perfect 10.0's on most gaming sites? kind of odd. Maybe he just doesnt like it, and i guess thats okay...just strikes me as strange

Fifthly, there seems to be a lot of Sega support towards GameCube these days. But let's not forget that if Nintendo does not pay Sega to develop exclusive titles, sooner or later we are going to see them all on other platforms, simply because GameCube is never going to have bigger market share than PS2, never. And... Yu Suzuki prefers Xbox.

I don't know where this person got the idea that Yu Suzuki prefers Xbox from...I'm pretty sure that after he got his hands on gamecube he loved it, but i could be wrong

Seventhly, Namco and Capcom is not going to develop their every title for GameCube because Nintendo does not like violence and gore on their system.

Soul Calibur 2, Ridge Racer, Dead to Rights, Smashing drive, and Klonoa from Namco; Resident Evil 1-4 and Biohazard from capcom.

IMO, gamecube has a mini hard drive..the SD disk thingies from panasonic. Those things will hold 1 gig pretty soon, and are the size of a postage stamp if i remember correctly. you can store plenty of stuff on one of those guys. its not as good as a hard drive, but its an okay substitute.
and for online plans...what if you have a 56k? doesnt Xbox only support broadband? correct me if im wrong :confused:

I agree with points one and two, and wholeheartedly with point 3 about voice communication

sinizuh
09-24-2001, 12:53 AM
IMO, gamecube has a mini hard drive..the SD disk thingies from panasonic. Those things will hold 1 gig pretty soon, and are the size of a postage stamp if i remember correctly. you can store plenty of stuff on one of those guys. its not as good as a hard drive, but its an okay substitute.
and for online plans...what if you have a 56k? doesnt Xbox only support broadband? correct me if im wrong

sure, the SD sticks are a good idea at first, but with the 1GB sticks, that's gonna cost alot of money and you when you're out, you have to buy another one. Xbox has all the room you need right in the system.

xbox only supports broadband cause people with dial up shouldn't be playing online games. and mixing boardband modems and dial ups modems (like nintendo is doing), people are gonna start to whine that the boardband people are wh00pin their butts cause the dial ups have lag.

Marc
09-24-2001, 01:03 AM
Gamecube is going to suck. Zelda is played out. Microsoft will do to Nintendo what Sony did to Sega, put them out of the console market for good. And the game that got perfect 10s, a child's game designed for ages 8 and up. It sucks. Just wait and see...

DOOM
09-24-2001, 08:02 AM
XBOX Leaves PS2 & Game Cube Black n' Blue!
Like Marc Said........
YOU'LL SEE.
XBOX, U.S.A.!

Severe_Tire_Damage
09-24-2001, 09:21 AM
I liked this guys post cause he hates Zelda also. If it wasn't for Zelda my best friend would be buying an xbox, not a gamecube. Friggen Zelda. I keep telling him that he is wasting his money but he wont listen.....He'll just find out the hard way.

DOOM
09-24-2001, 09:53 AM
Lol, Flat Cell Sahded Zelda, OMG...
SUX!

Xboxmaster2001
09-24-2001, 03:32 PM
Xbox only support broadband? correct me if im wrong
ok your wrong you can buy a 56 k modem in the future but 56 sucks its good if you dont have BB in your area

cvking
09-24-2001, 04:09 PM
koopa why r u here if your a GC fanboy???

Badlittlemonkey
09-24-2001, 04:29 PM
ya

Aaron
09-24-2001, 05:26 PM
cause hes cool and likes xbox too.

Lemme comment on a few things here.

Nintendo was a good company. I loved NES. SNES was also okay. Game boy was great at first, but grew tiresome after its 50 incarnates with diff features popped up. The n64 was a great system, but died because of game support being sparse, oh and the games sucked big ones. The GBA was rushed because Nintendo needed money after they lost alot to N64, so they could manufacture the cube. The only reason alot of people are buying the cube is because of name reputation alone. And thats fine, but gamers are realizing they have been breast fed by nintendo all their lives, and are looking for fresh, younger companies, as proved by Sony's success. To say nintendo will fail is ludicrous. The name alone will carry them, not far, but it will.

What boggles my mind, is why gamers stick with them, failure after failure they stick with em. They slap all the older gamers in the face by telling em that they are targeting the younger audience. I mean come on! Teenagers make up 85% of the buying force in the Worlds Economy. To target a bunch of snot nosed kids was a bad move. Look at all the stuff GC has done wrong already, no online elements for a long time, targets the kids, cel shades zelda, mario sunshine (nuff said), monkey ball (again), big delay. It all keeps stacking up against them.

Now to what koopa said about broadband, there have been figures that something like 54% of the United States is BB access already and fastly growing.

Soul Calibur 2 isnt gorey, never has been.

Ridge Racer is a racing game for christ sakes, no gore or violence in sight.

Dead to Right i have no idea, but it sounds good, but will they tone it down? probably.

Smashing Drive sounds like either a racing game or golf, so no gore there or violence.

Klonoa is a platformer i believe and is VERY kiddy.

Another thing i have been thinkin about lately is catridges. They were ditched (finally) by nintendo due to cost and were harder to produce. So ok, they switch to CD's, but they dont settle for CD's. They gotta go to the tiny optical discs, a special format made just by them, yet the prices of the games are still 60 bucks a pop. They screwed themselves from one format to another. Sure the console is cheaper, but then ya got the controllers that are hella expensive, the expensive memory cards, the 60 dollar games, the BB adapter (or 56k one) it adds up to unbelievable amounts.

The move nintendo needs to make is ditch the old blood. Sure they had ideas that were great in their time, but you can only rehash the greats so many times before gamers get sick of it. Get some new young people with better ideas, ones that sell. Its survival of the fittest. And Xbox is the 18 year old rock climber and Gamecube is the 60 year old straggler, and ps2 is dead in the river lol.

cvking
09-24-2001, 05:33 PM
psx2 is not dead and never will be ONLY becasue SONY
and i like psx2

sinizuh
09-24-2001, 05:33 PM
Teenagers make up 85% of the buying force in the Worlds Economy

hmmm... that sounds a little too high... maybe 60%

i enjoyed SNES the most out of all nintendo consoles... with MAME for xbox, i hope they come out with other emulators... like snes9x.

but i really want MAME for xbox! so i can play games like King of Fighters 99, Marvel Superheros, Metal Slug 2, Elevator Action 2, etc etc.

Aaron
09-24-2001, 05:35 PM
point being little kids dont mean squat in money terms. its the teenagers baybee

sinizuh
09-24-2001, 05:44 PM
kids ruled the video game market until around 1995... then teenagers... in like 2005, the adults will rule the market :)

nintendo will never get rid of the "kiddy konsole" image... until they release a XXX game for gamecube... and then parents will complain and sue nintendo :D

Aaron
09-24-2001, 05:56 PM
and it will loop all over again

Koopa
09-24-2001, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by cvking
koopa why r u here if your a GC fanboy???
ah i've answered this about 5 or 6 times, but I'll say it again. I'm here to a) learn about Xbox to see if it warrants a purchase later on, and b) have a good debate:D

about those namco and capcom games, I was rebutting the fact that the guy said they wouldn't make games for gamecube, not the stuff about violence....and you've got not proof they'll tone down that dead to rights thing:D

to point a few things out..

Lol, Flat Cell Sahded Zelda, OMG...
idunno wat you're smoking, but cell shaded zelda isn't flat :rolleyes:

Gamecube is going to suck. Zelda is played out. Microsoft will do to Nintendo what Sony did to Sega, put them out of the console market for good. And the game that got perfect 10s, a child's game designed for ages 8 and up. It sucks. Just wait and see...
this quote shows your bias better than i could ever put it in my own words.
I haven't said once that Xbox will fail. My personal opinion now is that Xbox and GC are good..but I BELIEVE GC is better cuz there's more games I think i'll enjoy.

Xboxmaster2001
09-24-2001, 06:44 PM
Quote:
idunno wat you're smoking, but cell shaded zelda isn't flat
originaly posted by koopa

for some reason I cant quote so i did it manually anyway your smoking somthing else than everyone else in the world because he's as flat as a ****ing wall

Badlittlemonkey
09-24-2001, 08:03 PM
well koopa i hope youll have fun sucking up ghosts with vacuum cleaners while were flyin around in alien banshees shootin at aliens in Halo

Koopa
09-24-2001, 09:01 PM
http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/zelda/celda13.jpg

ah flat as a focking wall...forgive my stupidity:rolleyes:

mr. monkey, thanks for the support:D I plan to fully enjoy Luigi's mansion. I'll tell ya about metroid and ED wen I'm done with 'em too:D

Aaron
09-24-2001, 09:29 PM
i played luigis mansion today and it was pretty kew, so pbthhh on you

Koopa
09-24-2001, 09:55 PM
****, now i have to make sure I play Xbox before you!:D

Severe_Tire_Damage
09-24-2001, 10:15 PM
Um....Yeah....Xbox....teens.....money....good.....

DOOM
09-25-2001, 12:30 AM
I Cant Belisve WTF They Did To Zelda...
Oh Yeah... My Friend Owns a Jap/imported Cube in N.Y.C.
& Has It On At His Store GAMES EXPRESS...
I Played Luigi's Mansion For a Min & What I Saw Was Wack! The Controller sux Tooz, Feels like a Toy( Nothing To It)...
He Even Said He Wont Be Ordering Many Of These Cubes...
He Has Been Getting Lots Of Negative feedback on it.

Check Out this IGN Review of it:
Import Review
We came, we saw, and we conquered Luigi's Mansion. The entire game takes place in the gigantic four-floor mansion and partially in its backyard. How does an entire Nintendo adventure take place in one house? Only taking five hours (slightly varying depending on your skill level) to complete doesn't require a lot of 3D space to work with.
http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/luigimansion/mansion_in1.jpghttp://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/luigimansion/lmario1in.jpg
LMFAO!

sinizuh
09-25-2001, 01:59 AM
IGN said that Luigi's Mansion is the only gamecube game that's not worth import.

and what do you expect? Mario games have zero replay value.