PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft actually attempted to BUY Nintendo...

anthrax0r
04-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Not content with trying the purchase Sega, Microsoft pulled out all the stops to attempt to buy Nintendo. Bill Gates was prepared to stump up $25 billion for the Japanese gaming giant.

A new book called Opening the Xbox: Inside Microsoft's Plan to Unleash an Entertainment Revolution has revealed that Bill Gates' powerhouse tried to purchase Nintendo. When interviewing Nintendo's U.S president Minoru Arakawa, he let slip that Nintendo 'weren't sure what to think when Microsoft made the offer.'' He continued with the commments "I was surprised, we didn't need the money. I thought it was a joke."

Nintendo realised that such a proposition should not be ignored. "Some Nintendo executives seemed interested and the meetings went on through the winter," the book reveals. "The parties met six or seven times. Microsoft wanted Nintendo to drop its GameCube console and get behind the Xbox. But Hiroshi Yamauchi, the aging CEO and Nintendo, didn't like the idea. By January 2000, the talks were over."

The two companies went their separate ways and ended discussions amicably. "Our ability to remain independent was unquestioned due to our financial status," Minoru Arakawa described. "And it became clear that our objectives and their objectives were not the same."

Just imagine what would have happened if Microsoft's plan to buy Nintendo had succeeded - no GameCube and no Cube Europe. Isn't it great that Nintendo resisted from the clutches of Bill's Gates' empire.

Courtesy of http://www.cube-europe.com/news/10198973416591.html

Wow, 25 billion, looks like Bill is trying really hard for the Xbox to succeed and crush all opposing it:D

E-Xbox
04-27-2002, 08:00 PM
ive read this before...
oh well..

peace

monkeyman
04-27-2002, 08:05 PM
mad this makes me sad:(

Xbox Owner
04-27-2002, 09:24 PM
yeah e-xbox its in the debate forums

Crazy Joe
04-28-2002, 01:54 AM
i guess that goes to show that microsoft can't always just buy out the competition, even by offering 3 times the market value.

that makes me kind of sad. :( i like it when my console company can buy stuff at will.

Steve1987
04-28-2002, 11:47 AM
Just think if they did buy Nintendo, you might of been able to be Mario in Halo! :D

Plewis
04-28-2002, 02:58 PM
interesting... i must have missed that in the debate forums... im kinda glad ms didnt get 'em. We need competition to fuel the market (although sony might be able to take em on for this generation... but probably not the next)

Skarp
04-28-2002, 03:15 PM
As I was reading this thread, "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" came on by Daft Punk on my play list. I couldn't help but notice Gortholomew's avatar dancing to the beat.

pounder
04-28-2002, 07:20 PM
thats insane..next theyll try to buy sony..lol