PDA

View Full Version : If you own an Xbox please vote

Mr Blonde
04-28-2002, 04:39 AM
If you have seen the message displayed on your console.

I think the Halo multiplayer glitch should count as a yes as it is obviously a bug and not a dirty disc.

Obviously the poll isn't entirely accurate as a dirty disc will bring up the error but it also seems this is a universal message for a variety of different errors. Corrupt save data, faulty/misalligned lenses, game bugs (Halo gamespy) etc all produce the same error.

I beleive the majority of the errors are not caused by the disc actually being dirty, it has been seen by many on brand new discs and some have even seen it with no disc in the drive. How many people have had similar messages produced with a dvd player or computer dvd drive? Not many.

Thanks for voting, it's hard to tell the percentage of people having problems, there are a helluva lot of posts about the problem but that doesn't mean much, there are alot of people with no problems atall.

BCan
04-28-2002, 05:07 AM
THis happened on non-XBOX disks, namely a week old DVD and a CD written by myself on my PC.

E-Xbox
04-28-2002, 10:02 AM
only on online play with halo..
but that means nothing..

peace

Kilik
04-28-2002, 10:25 AM
It's only happend 1 time,whats so important about it anyways?

DIGITAL
04-28-2002, 10:28 AM
it only happen to me with the dameged oxm disc i got the other day,which im still ****ed about.i really want to see the doa3 extra stuff

ricerd
04-28-2002, 10:33 AM
We have 2 x-boxes. One was purchased new(my son's) and we've had no problems. The second was purchased used(mine) and I've had the error come up everytime I put a perfect Halo game in(no problem in my son's). It sounds like we have a problem. I'm going to return mine for another one. By the way, if you have Hollywood Video stores with Game Crazy where you live, try them. Great place to go to rent games and buy equipment.

Steve1987
04-28-2002, 11:42 AM
Nope never got any error's like that. The only message i've had come up is when i tried to play a cd-r with music on it. Does anyone know if there are some cd-r's that it will read.

Kooster
04-28-2002, 11:45 AM
I've never had that error. I've had 2 errors and they were because I tried to play a CD-R and I tried to play a DVD w/o the playback kit. I've seen an Xbox with that error before, though. I think it was at Target...

Mr Blonde
04-29-2002, 02:52 AM
bump for others vote

Mr Blonde
04-29-2002, 11:34 AM
Bump for more votes.

Results are intresting, looks like more have seen the error than haven't.

In my opinion the error is caused by either;

*Game Bug (Halo online)
*Dirty/Faulty Disc
*Dirty/Faulty Optical Drive

Personally I think more the latter two, I do love the xbox but I don't rate the dvd drive atall, then again I thought the ps2's drive was crap. To me it lets the machine down as the rest seems to be of fairly high quality, much more so than the PS2.

Some may say the poll is pointless as it could be caused by discs being dirty, fair enough but how many people who have seen the errorand thought the disc looked perfect or was even brand new? Why does opening/closing the tray get round the error, surely the disc is still dirty. Why is the user told the disc is dirty when playing Halo online? Surely they could've coded an alternate exception to handle game bugs instead of blaming a dirty disc. And how many times does your dvd/pc player trip up on discs?

Some have said the machine has trouble with discs due to the copy protection which usually can be helped opening/closing the tray. Some may label this a faulty product, others may find it acceptable.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why the same message is displayed for a variety of errors, I suppose they don't want to display messages giving away anything on the encryption.

Ninja Scroll
04-29-2002, 11:48 AM
YO dude, you dont have to bump your thread. Most people hear search for something worthwhile to reply too, so bumping is not neccessary, aight little trooper!;)

Anyways, I have has this happen to me a couple times. First it was my Snow White DVD that did not work because of those Disney jackasses and their policies!:(

And im OXM demo disc from issue 5 was defected so the Xbox said it was dusty or dirty. But the thing was defected so I emailed for a replacement disc.
Other than that, I have had no problems, with my disc or Xbox console.:)

DZNUTZ
04-29-2002, 12:19 PM
mr blonde...and ricerd...welcome to xba..this site kicks major ash...:)

DZNUTZ-points and laughs at ninja LOL"you watch snowwhite"lmfao!!!!

i had it happen a few times...nothing major...always just reloaded and prob went away..i'm not sweating it.

Mr Blonde
04-29-2002, 12:26 PM
mr blonde...and ricerd...welcome to xba..this site kicks major ash... Thanks man, everone seems so chilled on this board relative to the other bb's.

p.s Just bought meself a black GBA with Mario Advance 2 and it's great :cool: :)

l Maximus l
04-29-2002, 12:35 PM
The only reason why you get a "Dirty Disc error" when playing Halo is because, technically, Halo was not meant to be played on-line. In the situation with a LAN, Halo will not receive a dirty disc error.

To get around receiving the "dirty disc error", simply create a game and back out...you won't get the error again for that entire session. All you have to do is perform this one time. I haven't seen the dirty disc error for several months.

DZNUTZ
04-29-2002, 12:40 PM
np mr blonde..this is by far the best forum community i've came across...

and max..where were u friday bud? have u confirmed if your going to E3 yet? and make sho u go back some pages...i posted some cool threads on friday...like an update on deathrow...a must read.

Duke
04-29-2002, 12:48 PM
I got this once with a DVD with no scratches and was clean. When I put it in a regular DVD player it also would not play.

Never had the problem with any games.

Agreed, this is the best forum I've found although I spend most of my time on microsoft.public.xbox because it isn't moderated. There are plenty of great, knowledgable people there, you just have to sift through all the bullsh*t.

Peter1979
04-29-2002, 12:59 PM
i cant play my american demo dvd :(
i have a european xbox ! damn :(

but all games and all dvd`s(after cleaning lol) works !

:)

Brian
04-29-2002, 07:25 PM
Dirty disc means blow on the disc then insert and try again! :rolleyes:

monkeyman
04-29-2002, 07:33 PM
never ever has happened to me im lucky i guess:D

Mr Blonde
05-01-2002, 10:53 AM
Whoops I seemed to have accidentally nudged into this thread and bumped it :)

Sorry it's just polls sink like a rock, few more votes people.

Kraft
05-01-2002, 10:57 AM
Maybe this thread sunk because everything that could be said has already been said...

stang46
05-01-2002, 11:01 AM
I've never seen this on my xbox before, guess I got a special one hehe:)

linkycat
05-01-2002, 11:53 AM
I hate to say it, but my system is runnin clean! Sorry to those who have problems.

Burned CD-RWs work fine, all DVDs are great, and Halo online has never failed me. I hope you guys/gals get your problems worked out!

melon
05-01-2002, 12:20 PM
yeah, this makes me mad, it happens everyone once in awhile...it happens on games, and on brand new CD's...i don't know what to do.

Fugee
05-01-2002, 01:02 PM
I've mostly seen it on OXM dics tho...

LINKINPARK8591
05-01-2002, 01:49 PM
me i only get that message once in a while when i'm starting up halo but then i just blow on the disc and put it back in then it works just fine...........other than that not really it just happens every now and then with halo.....that's it........................:) :) :p :p

http://www.dreamworksrecords.com/nellyfurtado.com/photos/images/09_08.jpg