PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, I need help!

Brian
04-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Recently today I bought Blood Omen 2. When I turned on my Xbox the logo popped up, as usual. Then the green light around the eject button started to blink red. Then a message appeared saying "Your Xbox needs service, please call customer support". Then I call customer support (1-800-4MY-XBOX) and the guy tells me he can't do anything for me but have me send my Xbox in to them and pay $129 for repairs. Then I tell him that I expect a machine I pay for $300 to last more than 6 months, and it has been doing fine for 6 months all up until today for some strange reason. Then he said I should've made my warranty longer, then I hung up on his @$$. Anyway, has this ever happened to anybody here and is any easier ways to resolve the problem? Thanks for any replies.

Brian
04-28-2002, 05:59 PM
Please guys. Respond. :(

Laxeph
04-28-2002, 06:30 PM
I have heard of this hapening B4. Have you tried to play any other games since that happened. I really don't know what to tell you. :(

Brian
04-28-2002, 07:07 PM
Since the Xbox is basically a little computer I bet they program it for a certain date for that message to appear. Ah well, thanks. :(

Plewis
04-28-2002, 07:36 PM
yeah i bet microsoft wants their system to fail:) dont be stupid. im sorry about it breaking though. GL in getting it resolved

Brian
04-28-2002, 07:49 PM
Plewis, think about it. It makes them more money, an extra $129 per every person this happens to. It wouldn't be any harder to program to a regular computer for a simple message box popping up not allowing further access into the computer. Just a theory. Bye. :eek:

CyberBOMB
04-28-2002, 10:26 PM
hmm it costs them like $450 to make the xbox. they already lose money in selling it. to make this happen to all xboxes makes consumer confidence in that product low, thus resulting in no sales. No sales equals no money for them. So what you were trying to tell us is that microsoft made a new product die on purpose so you would pay more money for it and have nobody want to buy it anymore. Doesnt seem smart business-wise to do that. I would want a steady stream of money coming in. But, then again thats just me, an average Joe and not Bill Gates. So chances are if Bill Gates was told this he would have the same conclusion as me.

You are retarded

smack119
04-28-2002, 10:35 PM
that is a stupid theory, if they have ever xbox break after a time limit then nobody would buy one after they all start breaking, that would cause MS to lose a huge amount of money. and how come mine didnt break yet? you think they set random dates to break down?? whats next are all windows programs going to do it too?? boy that would really make them look bad and cause nobody to buy their stuff...... really think about what you are saying before you saying, oh and by the way..... you should have gotten a longer warrenty :)

oh and here is a plan that will land you a new xbox, free....as long as you have $300 to lay out first. go buy a new one, put the busted one in the box and return it saying that you got 2 as a gift, pretend you never opened it. and if that one break down right after the warrenty then maybe your on to something......

CyberBOMB
04-28-2002, 10:42 PM
hell i dont even have a warranty. i think the screen has frozen like 3 times but thats with games that were rented and you know the crusty ass people who rent them and rub them on their ass or something.

Master Gracey
04-28-2002, 10:53 PM
Personally, I don't think M$ would program these things to have a problem on a certain day... just not wise from a business standpoint. The only problem I've had with my Xbox is a couple of freezes, but it was all in one game, and always at one certain spot... restarting and going back always fixed the problem.

Funny thing, though... this reminds me of my own problem with the Sony discman. I had one that had a 1 year warranty. It broke 2 days after the warranty ran out. I had 3 friends who got one the same day as me, and ALL of ours broke within 7 days after warranty expiration. So I got another one, only to find that Sony now had a 6-month warranty... it broke within a week after that 6-month time period ended. So I got ANOTHER one (don't ask why) and it did the same thing... I finally got fed up and bought a cheapo Panasonic. It went with me to school every day for 4 years, and I still carry it with me every day to work and it still runs like a dream.

Crazy Joe
04-29-2002, 02:22 AM
i think that if you send it in and they find it is broken because of mishandling or irresponsible then you should have to pay. But if it just breaks for no reason, then it is a faulty system and there should be a lifetime warranty if it is just wear and tear. Unfortunately that isn't the way it goes, and that sucks for you man, sorry to hear.

I cross my fingers mine doesn't break for no reason!

GokuX
04-29-2002, 06:22 AM
I'm sorry that this had to happen to you man. It stinks that it had to do that to ya, but I agree with everyone else here. If you look at the warranty sheet it warns that once the warranty is over you will have to pay possibly more than $100 for repairs. I saw that and immediately filled out the warranty form and sent in $50 because I figured $50 now is better than $100 some time down the road in 2 years. Again, I'm sorry for ya, I hope this issue gets resolved.

Brian
04-29-2002, 02:19 PM
I've been playing it in the same spot for 6 months. I didn't break it. So don't flame at me, thanks. :rolleyes:

LINKINPARK8591
04-29-2002, 02:29 PM
yeah i don't really know what to say about that just that your most likely going to have to take it for repairs..........................................................sorry man that sucks if that happened to me i would be ****sed too............
http://www.sweet-misery.com/michellebranch/images/108.jpg

http://www.dreamworksrecords.com/nellyfurtado.com/photos/images/03_03.jpg

Dyslexic Chaos
04-29-2002, 03:21 PM
Um, your plan for a free new Xbox would never work. Everytime you return electronics, the sales clerk check the serial # to make sure that it's the same and the one in the computer and on the box. sorry to tell you this, but if you don't believe me, go ahead and try it yourself.

smack119
04-29-2002, 04:02 PM
what are you talking about? ive done it a ton of times. i did it with 2 portable phones, and a tv. my friends have returned camcorders, an answering machine, and a dvd player. just take it to a target or walmart and you will be fine

SIVEL
04-29-2002, 04:53 PM
I WOULD SUGGEST PACKING THAT THING UP TAKING TI TO THE STORE WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT AND SAYING I ASKED FOR A RELIABLE XBOX NOT A CRAPPY PS2!

Brian
04-29-2002, 06:50 PM
Haha. Ok guys, I'm just gonna send it in for repairs since I have no other choice. Thanks. :(

zfBRAT
05-06-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Brian
Recently today I bought Blood Omen 2. When I turned on my Xbox the logo popped up, as usual. Then the green light around the eject button started to blink red. Then a message appeared saying "Your Xbox needs service, please call customer support". Then I call customer support (1-800-4MY-XBOX) and the guy tells me he can't do anything for me but have me send my Xbox in to them and pay $129 for repairs. Then I tell him that I expect a machine I pay for $300 to last more than 6 months, and it has been doing fine for 6 months all up until today for some strange reason. Then he said I should've made my warranty longer, then I hung up on his @$$. Anyway, has this ever happened to anybody here and is any easier ways to resolve the problem? Thanks for any replies.
I bought Blood Omen 2 and have had no problems with it. I think you should take your game back. It may have been damaged during shipment. I live in Alaska, so anything could get damaged on its way here.

MidniteArrow
05-06-2002, 04:03 AM
I've been hearing a lot of people with like situations and like concerns. I have mixed feelings about it.

When purchasing electronics, you are basically entering into an agreement with the manufacturer. That agreement is that they are "licensing" a piece of hardware to you that they will guarantee for the duration of the warranty. If the unit fails within that time period, they will cover the costs of repairs or replacement. If the unit works beyond the warranty lifespan, count your blessings.

Having said that, I'm extremely let down by the warranty on the Xbox. I'm not even sure what the standard duration is, but I think it is 6 months or less. In the computing industry, this is almost unheard of. Cheap, no good manufacturers usually have a 1 year warranty while better manufacturers usually provide a 3 year, 5 year, or 10 year warranty. A manufacturer that provides almost no warranty and expects the consumer to "purchase" the real warranty (the 2 year flavor in our case) is ridiculous.

This probably lowered the cost of the unit to within reason for the console community, but they had to sacrafice their reputation to do it (what little reputation Microspank has). I think they would have been better off charging the extra $50 up front and making the standard warranty 2 year, but that's just my opinion. Almost no one is willing to pay for the warranty, but everyone complains when they don't have one. Microsoft should have forced our hands on this one (in my opinion).

smack119
05-06-2002, 01:11 PM
almost no one pays for the warranty??? i payed for the 2 year, and a lot of people on here have also. if you didnt get it your just asking for trouble. it was only $50 more, after spending $500 on the stuff i thought $50 was worth it.

another question, anyone know the warranty on a ps2?

MidniteArrow
05-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Yes, the warranty is only $50. However, the console (and thus the thing being warranteed) is only $299 ($300 for ease of math). The warranty is 1/6 the cost of the product. That is a non-negligible expense. Most persons will not spend an extra 16% for a product without good reason, and in general, I think an "extended" warranty is not a good reason. In this specific case however, given the extreme brevity of the original warranty, purchasing the extended warranty is a good idea (unless you've got plenty of cash - then I say don't).

Spaztic
05-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Dude...go to walmart and buy a new xbox, put the broken one in the new xbox box and return it and tell them it is broken and that you don't want it anymore and ask for a refund. I have done this a million times before! Just make sure you review there return policy before doing this so you don't get screwed!

smack119
05-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls
Dude...go to walmart and buy a new xbox, put the broken one in the new xbox box and return it and tell them it is broken and that you don't want it anymore and ask for a refund. I have done this a million times before! Just make sure you review there return policy before doing this so you don't get screwed!

i posted that at the begining of this thread