PDA

View Full Version : 4/29 new Morrowinds preview

Brevity
04-29-2002, 09:01 AM
This is to some of the other stuff I posted on this earlier.older but good (http://www.xboxaddict.com/)
Link to sourceXengen (http://forums.xengen.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34025)
Another look into MORROWIND PLUS SHOTS.......
This is based from the PC version. But we already know the main difference is the Editor and that with XBOX we get the use of the dual analog controller. The preview below does have some mild spoilers........so be warned, but with such a massive game and no two games being alike I think you are quite safe from any earth shattering type spoilers............

Cool beast...........even dead........

http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/3l.jpg
The Elder Scrolls : Morrowind is Bethesda Softwork's upcoming game set in the Elder Scrolls universe. Morrowind features a huge world to be explored, a world packed with literally thousands of NPCs and monsters which reside in various towns, encampments, caves, tombs and even in the wilderness. Those of you that are familiar with the previous Elder Scrolls games, such as Arena and Daggerfall, are quite familiar with the actual size and open endedness that the Elder Scrolls series of games present to you. It's really quite amazing.

Instead of going into all of the details of the previous Elder Scrolls games, I've decided to focus on Morrowind itself and save all the history for the review, if we decide to toss it in. Morrowind doesn't seem to follow any sort of plot from the previous games, it's almost as if it's a completely new story based in the Elder Scrolls world. As you've probably read from the various other previews, you begin your journey on a ship, where you first choose your name and learn that you were a prisoner that was pardoned by the emperor himself. No one has a clue why but the guards are clearly following the emperors orders and promptly set you on your path after you first go through the character creation process.

Attack of the giant phallic objects! OH NO!
http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/6l.jpg
Once you finish defining your character, a process that we've been asked not to talk about, you're set free into the world of Morrowind. It's yours to explore, change and even destroy. You can literally go anywhere and / or do anything at your own will. Sure, initially the weakness of your character may prevent you from doing everything that you may want to do, such as take over the world, but as time goes on you gain more and more power and as you gain your power, you start to realize how much you can really change things in the game. You can literally kill anyone, including NPCs and you can steal or explore anything assuming you have the ability to get past locks and / or traps. Actually, there's only one single NPC that you can't kill if you want to beat the game. He / she's pretty easy to find, assuming that you do try to kill him / her and the game immediately puts up a prompt recommending that you restore your game if you do happen to kill him / her (him / her used in order to keep the NPCs gender a secret). Aside from that single NPC, you can slaughter anybody for any reason and skill end up beating the game, should you decide to follow the main quest.

Quests, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of quests. You can fight for justice or steal for the darker guilds / clans. You can get involved in the game's politics or try to extend the influence of the temple on the world. I know that I've already said this, but just incase you don't get it yet, you can do practically anything in this world. This is what makes Morrowind so unique and amazing. I personally accepted well over twenty quests now, five of them being main story quests. Each quest is unique, some send you across town to purchase or steal a jewel while others send you on a quest across the country to slaughter a guild which corrupts the law system of Morrowind. Each quest has its own rewards as well, you may receive extremely powerful or advanced items or even lump sums of cash. I'm sure you get the picture, the quest system is by far one of the most extensive and fun systems in a RPG game to date.

Yes, it really gets this dark at night
http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/7l.jpg
I'd reveal more details if I could but we've been asked not to speak of any plot related quests. I'm sure you can imagine why, Bethesda Softworks would like to keep the plot and storyline a surprise for all of you. I know, you really don't care, but trust me, it'll be worth it to wait. Morrowind is a game that's not built around lame hype that won't come through. Believe the hype - it's real, you'll see.

Aside from quests, I've made a total of two characters thus far. The first was a thief with concentration in small swords, medium armor and light magic. I quickly found out that while he was great at stealing and completing Thief's guild quests, I would get my ass pounded time after time when I engaged in combat. Needless to say, that discouraged me a bit and it inspired me to create a new, beefier character with a better selection of skills and abilities. The thief did end up hitting level two, but that's about it. To be honest, I have a feeling most people will go through this, atleast when attempting to make a custom character of their own the first time around. Who knows though, maybe others will have better luck than I.

It's the fabled GhostGate!
http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/13l.jpg
With my buff Redguard custom fighter type class, I've pounded my way through many brutal situations. It's a pretty cool feeling to be able to womp on more and more people as I level myself up and build upon my skills. Like I said earlier, you can just feel the power grow in you. It's actually noticeable as time goes on. Now my character is level four, this is without any cheat codes or anything else mind you. In other words, I've been around the block. I've completely numerous quests as I stated above, I've seen numerous cities and I'm positive that I've only progressed through 10-15% of the game. Despite the twenty or so hours that I've spent playing my Redguard, I'm still roaming about the southern and western coasts of Morrowind.

http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/14l.jpg
As you've heard and seen, the graphics are absolutely amazing. Everything from the character models to the trees, just spending a few minutes alone in Morrowind will change the way you look at PC games forever. It's simply amazing, Morrowind blows away FPS games like Medal of Honor or any other Quake / Unreal based game graphically in my opinion. I'm telling you, you will not believe your eyes when you're running Morrowind at 1024x768x32 with anti-aliasing and full draw / shadow / reflection details turned on. Sure, it takes a pretty beefy system with a high end video card to play Morrowind in all its glory at1024x768x32 but even at lower resolutions or lower graphic settings it looks amazing. It's just something that you have to see for yourself to understand.
http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/20l.jpg
The audio is great, everything from the music to the sound effects. The music can best be compared to musical scores from movies set in the 1200AD-1700AD era, very relaxing while traveling and upbeat while in combat. It's actually dynamic as well, you'll be listening to happy music one second and then the next thing you know, the music shifts into combat music. It's actually pretty darn cool and the music changes do a good job of alerting you when trouble is brewing.
http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/1l.jpg

Brevity
04-29-2002, 09:04 AM
Continued............

The sound effects in Morrowind are great. You'll almost swear that you're in a real world. Walking makes footstep sounds which changes depending on the surface that you're walking on. You'll hear flowing water while walking past rivers or even rain pattering while walking around amidst a rain storm. Thunder is just as impressive as well, to be honest Morrowind has some of the most amazing weather sound effects that I've heard. Once again, it's something that you have to hear for yourself to appreciate. Just like the graphics, the sound effects are amazing.

Controls are very simple and the interface is among the best that I've used in a RPG. You'll find that you can manipulate practically anything in the world with the mouse and a few keystrokes. It's honestly that easy. There are numerous quick keys for those of you that like to quick launch spells or use items in a jiffy but I've never had to use them yet. The interface shows you everything you need to see about your health, direction, mana, current weapon, item and spell without intruding upon your view. If you need more information or if you need to interact with your inventory whatsoever, you can simple click your right mouse button and nearly everything that you could ever need is available via the second mouse button interface.

http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/25l.jpg
At this point, you'd almost think that I'm writing a review of Morrowind. To be honest, I could easily do just that based off the beta alone and if I do the review, I'll probably be saying the same stuff. Sure, I've run into a few minor bugs but that's about it. Morrowind, even in beta form, is probably one of the most stable and complete betas that I've ever had an opportunity to test and let me just say, I've tested well over sixty games in the past ten years. I think that really says a lot about the Bethesda Softworks folks.

Don't forget you get 3rd person view option as well...........

http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/18l.jpg
To conclude, if you like RPGs whatsoever, do yourselves a favor and pre-order Elder Scrolls : Morrowind right this second. Morrowind is going to revolutionize the RPG genre as a whole. Morrowind will set new standards for RPGs. It's seriously that good. The only RPG fans out there that may have a tough time with Morrowind are the fans of completely linear RPGs like the Final Fantasy games. Even then, it's a tossup. I can promise you this though, if you were ever a fan of the older Ultimas, such as Ultima 4,6,7, Ultima Underworld I or II or even the most recent and final Ultima - Ultima : Ascention, you'll love Morrowind. So do what I said, get your ass over to your favorite game store and pre-order Morrowind now! The hype is real!

http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/24l.jpg
http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/21l.jpg
http://www.invisibledream.com/previews/pc/morrowind/17l.jpg
Always good to get as many opinions as possible..........

JJaX
04-29-2002, 09:37 AM
Sweet ass post Brevity!

(superhero voice) Only.......2.......more...weeks....to wait......Must..play...game..soon..........POwers....fading....
(/superhero Voice)

DZNUTZ
04-29-2002, 12:56 PM
super sweet post brevity...u da man...
i didn't know u tested games ( or is it the person u got this info from?)

anyways..i'm glad to hear all the positive comments from someone who had hands on Exp. i was a lil worried since i pre-ordered it online...but now i'm more at ease.

Brevity
04-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
super sweet post brevity...u da man...
i didn't know u tested games ( or is it the person u got this info from?)

anyways..i'm glad to hear all the positive comments from someone who had hands on Exp. i was a lil worried since i pre-ordered it online...but now i'm more at ease.
Ya sorry it was not me, I got this from the Freak of Nature. And no worries this game will rock.

Dre
04-29-2002, 01:38 PM
ah crap.. I just drooled all over my keyboard again..

khaos2005
04-29-2002, 03:01 PM
Damn, this game gets more amazing every second.

One question, what is the minimum time it takes to beat this game (appx.)? I heard somewhere 100 some-odd hours, minimum. I told my PS2 friend about this, and he laughed at me, and told me it was not possible. I'd like to prove him wrong, but I need proof. Anyone know for sure?

JJaX
04-29-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by khaos2005
Damn, this game gets more amazing every second.

One question, what is the minimum time it takes to beat this game (appx.)? I heard somewhere 100 some-odd hours, minimum. I told my PS2 friend about this, and he laughed at me, and told me it was not possible. I'd like to prove him wrong, but I need proof. Anyone know for sure?

Well the beta tester said he played for about 20 hours so far and is about 10%-15% complete.

khaos2005
04-29-2002, 03:06 PM
So about 200 hours? Give or take?

JJaX
04-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by khaos2005
So about 200 hours? Give or take?

Id say if you stuck to your main quest and new where to go, 100 hours....

But i plan on playing this game more than i sleep. So ill get more than my moneys worth.

I cant wait to get baked and get lost in this alternate world!

DZNUTZ
04-29-2002, 03:19 PM
thats with him doing some side quests though....
who knows how long...i'm sho real long though...
even if u went straight through without any side quests...i'm sho you'll be playing this game for AWHILE

Brevity
04-29-2002, 04:51 PM
I feel I have read all there is to read to date, and I think it is around 100 for main doing it quick, Normal RPG's R around 60 to 80. And 500h, for all the side quests. But I do wonder if it will be worth it to do the side quests?

EHWfedPres
04-29-2002, 10:09 PM
Main quest? Screw that, build up a character and kill off a few cities every now and then. Hey, there's over 3,000 NPC's in the game, I doubt they'll miss a few :)

Anyway, over 3,000 NPC's, over 300 dungeons, over 500 basic spells, over 200 creature types, etc...Im ready right now.

And id just like to mention that the water in Morrowind is probably the best I have ever seen on a video game. ever.

And I heard that the controls for the PC version are 100% fully customizable, so I just hope the controls dont suck ass for the Xbox version...I HATE the Max Payne movement controls...strafe and move forward as the same stick just dont work for me.

Dre
04-30-2002, 01:05 AM
I believe Morrowind will be using the same control-style as Halo.. and I also remember the developers saying that you could accomplish most things faster with the Xbox interface as opposed to the pc one. I read this off www.morrowind.com in codex, team, 4 button article.

Brevity
04-30-2002, 12:24 PM
Ya Dre is right the controle will be cake. And and Epres have you seen the water in Crimson Skies? It looks cool. I love water and lightening effects in games. Anyways almost here hoooopie

DZNUTZ
04-30-2002, 01:22 PM
Damn it...give me the game already......i can't wait any longer!!

l Maximus l
04-30-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Dre
I believe Morrowind will be using the same control-style as Halo.. and I also remember the developers saying that you could accomplish most things faster with the Xbox interface as opposed to the pc one. I read this off www.morrowind.com in codex, team, 4 button article.

Wow! If the control scheme is just like Halo's, I might just end up picking up this game eventough I was planning on just renting it and waiting for Project Ego to get me into RPGs. Now you're talking! I'll wait and get your guy's feedback first, though... I hope the control scheme is just like Halo's! Yeah!!

Brevity
05-01-2002, 12:41 AM
Ya with the Halo like controle set up its a shoe in for fun.

jschelm
05-01-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

Wow! If the control scheme is just like Halo's, I might just end up picking up this game eventough I was planning on just renting it and waiting for Project Ego to get me into RPGs. Now you're talking! I'll wait and get your guy's feedback first, though... I hope the control scheme is just like Halo's! Yeah!!

Max - We will definately keep you updated and also keep in mind that you can chose between 1st and 3rd person, so that should make the action a little more FPSish. We will know in about 2 weeks though....tick tick tick (ah the second just go too slow)

JJaX
05-01-2002, 07:52 AM

Ive read quite a few times that the default controls are just like Halo.

Man, Only 2 weeks!

ARG!!!!!!!

linkycat
05-01-2002, 11:57 AM
I am in a state of drool and shock at the support this game has of recently. About two months ago I posted a thread about excitement for this game and everyone dogged on me and said "wait for the real killer title, Project Ego."

I don't care hoe great Ego does in fact look, and sound, Morrowind looks to ROCK THE HOUSE. Man I've practically chewed off my arm in anticipation with all the pushed back releases... but I'm finally sooo very close. And I need to have that arm re-attached so I can use the controller for the next 500 hours of straight gameplay. NO eat. No sleep. yummy....

JJaX
05-01-2002, 12:02 PM
I agree project ego is really being hyped up. But im looking foward to the new Black & white more than project ego.

But back to morrowing! :)

Isnt it coming out the same day as Starwars. What a day that will be :)

RudedogX
05-01-2002, 12:04 PM
What?!? Morrowind and Star Wars at the same time?!? No sleep...argh

<i>begins to foam at the mouth profusely</i>

Brevity
05-01-2002, 12:22 PM
I mean to say there are so many games that are coming out at the same time or close to it,,,,,,quite a strain to buy and play them all. I wish they would have given us more during this lul awhile back.

l Maximus l
05-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by jschelm

Max - We will definately keep you updated and also keep in mind that you can chose between 1st and 3rd person, so that should make the action a little more FPSish. We will know in about 2 weeks though....tick tick tick (ah the second just go too slow)

Are you serious?!?! Sweeeeeet!!!!!!!! Wow! If Morrowind can be played in First Person, then, this game will be a definate must own! :D

JJaX
05-01-2002, 12:31 PM

Are you serious?!?! Sweeeeeet!!!!!!!! Wow! If Morrowind can be played in First Person, then, this game will be a definate must own! :D

JJaX nods head in disbelief

The first person View is the default View. 3rd person is for looking at yourself and your clothes, its also handy for tools that rather play this way.

dave_m123
05-01-2002, 12:37 PM
Should have plenty of replay value due to being able to play the game through using different character types.

JJaX
05-01-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by dave_m123
Should have plenty of replay value due to being able to play the game through using different character types.

Not only that, But you could probaly just keep playing your first game and continue to explore places you havent been. Thats what i plan on doing. Making one Dude, And doing everything i can with him.

thunderkiss2k1
05-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Sweet ass post Brevity!

(superhero voice) Only.......2.......more...weeks....to wait......Must..play...game..soon..........POwers....fading....
(/superhero Voice)

Hey, Jaxx, I just got a call from Babbages saying that Morrowwind will be in tomorrow. Peace.

Brevity
05-01-2002, 01:32 PM
Thunder the Xbox one or the PC I bet the PC.

JJaX
05-01-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by thunderkiss2k1

Hey, Jaxx, I just got a call from Babbages saying that Morrowwind will be in tomorrow. Peace.

:confused: I think he means the PC version. The xbox version will ship 2 weeks after the PC verion. Lets see, Todays the 1st of may. Two weeks from now...hmm...ok thats the 15th. And the rumored Xbox release date is the 16th....Hmmm.ok.

Yeah i think your talking about the PC version! I want my Xbox version!! ;)

khaos2005
05-01-2002, 04:00 PM

:confused: I think he means the PC version. The xbox version will ship 2 weeks after the PC verion. Lets see, Todays the 1st of may. Two weeks from now...hmm...ok thats the 15th. And the rumored Xbox release date is the 16th....Hmmm.ok.

So don't I! I didn't mind waiting, but now waiting for it while PC boys are playing it already is going to kill me.

The good thing is, word should get out quick (assuming it's good, as I am sure it is) about the PC version, and that could get people interested in the XBox version, or even an XBox itself, if they haven't heard about it already. The more people that buy it, the better.

DZNUTZ
05-01-2002, 04:27 PM
yea ya'll lets find some (briefed) reviews or scores on the pc versions so we can get a better idea of what to expect.

jschelm
05-01-2002, 04:44 PM
yea ya'll lets find some (briefed) reviews or scores on the pc versions so we can get a better idea of what to expect.

That is what I was thinking too....plus if for some god awful reason the game is not good or is still buggy than we can save ourselves some money. Let's all hope that isn't the case though. I guess that is the one good thing about the computer version coming out first. They can be guinnie pigs!

thunderkiss2k1
05-01-2002, 06:25 PM

They didn't specify, and when I called them (just a minute ago) , they said at first it was sometimes in May. THEN, they said May 16th. :(

EHWfedPres
05-01-2002, 06:29 PM
I have morrowind reserved already, and paid for with 2 games that I didnt like any more...and it is currently set for the 16th release date at the EB where I live...

DenniZz81
05-02-2002, 06:01 AM
when is morrowwind coming to europe ******?

Brevity
05-02-2002, 08:58 AM
Nuts great idea I will see what I can find,,,,you all try too.

DZNUTZ
05-02-2002, 12:42 PM
haven't found and reviews yet..but heres a couple links to good sites

http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/
http://www.elderscrolls.com/
http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/theeldersc

Brevity
05-02-2002, 12:51 PM
haven't found and reviews yet..but heres a couple links to good sites

http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/
http://www.elderscrolls.com/
http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/theeldersc

DZNUTZ
05-02-2002, 01:04 PM
np..thats what i'm here for
btw guys..don't forget to keep on searching for a pc review...then report back here with the goods.

frog11983
05-02-2002, 01:55 PM
Do you guys think that it will sell out the day it launches, or do you think I will be okay if I try to buy it at target or some place like that? Think I should pre-order it?

Brevity
05-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Morrowind Review |By: Warrior|
NOTE: This is the Collectors edition PC version.

If you buy any RPG game this year, hell if you buy any game this year, Morrowind is it. I haven't dug to far into this beauty, so I'm sharing the more bold things with you guys- everything short of character design. Hopefully I will clear the minds of those who still are not sure, for those who want to know more and for those who will take anything Morrowind that they can get their greasy mitts on.

Graphics
The graphics are simply stunning. Very crisp and clean. Wood textures are top notch and characters have different noticeable looks from human to elf and everything between. The daytime clouds are top notch and the stars in the night sky glow beautifully. Armor appears to gleam with a buffed shine. If you look up from the forest you see the clouds softly drifting by making for a impressive realistic effect. Oh and there are two moons... Score- 9.4

Sound
This part caught my attention right away. The game music is ambient but not intrusive. Superbly done. I love this. I'm walking through the forest I stop to admire the beautiful night sky. I'm looking at the moons and the clouds...and I hear a coyote howling in the distance not just any coyote, it sounded like an evil coyote.... This is 5.1 bliss baby... Those character voice over and top notch as well. They put emphasis into their speaking and add to the fell and scope of the game. Score- 9.7

Control and Animation
Since it was the PC version I can’t speak for the Xbox controls. From what I can translate it’s a basic FPS control setup. The Windows are very nicely layed out. When you open them the game pauses and let’s you do your business. The animations (Which a lot of people were worried about) Well...have no fear…. They are solid and pretty fluid. Click to stab hold for slash etc. If you attack your target you usually miss (I’m on a low skill lvl.) but when You hit it (assuming it’s not an inanimate object ) it gives off a little blood. The first citizen I attacked well…let's just say the b!tch killed me overall battling is solid. Score- 9.0

Scope
The scope is the biggest aspect of this wonderful game. You can “take” (Steal ) ANYTHING. There are items on nearly every shelf in every room. The whole game has an unreal feel of being hand crafted….it’s unbelievable. This is the thing that caught my attention the most. Another instance that You will see what I mean soon enough. Score- 9.8

Overall
I’m in no position to give a final score but from what I have played I would give it roughly a 9.5/10. Come May 16th…this game will be mine. Morrowind, I love you…

If you have any questions, please feel free…

jschelm
05-03-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by frog11983
Do you guys think that it will sell out the day it launches, or do you think I will be okay if I try to buy it at target or some place like that? Think I should pre-order it?

If you want this game then I would definately pre-order it. That way you are guaranteed to get it on the day it comes out.