PDA

View Full Version : TechTV and BO2 Review

mahalan
04-29-2002, 01:09 PM
The homepage of XBA has a link to a review of BO2 by TechTV. If it weren't for the fact that the reviewer was able to point to many elements actually in the game, I'd swear they'd never played it.

I don't see how ANYONE who'd ever played what has to be one of the most addictive games to hit the Xbox to date could complain about the game so much.

They complain about the graphics pointing out how it's probably due to it being a PS2 port. It may be a PS2 port, the graphics are still pretty darn good.

They complain about the clipping - entirely valid.

They complain about the linear gameplay. An unreasonable complaint. Having a linear storyline is only a problem if the segments within the level are too small and/or the story is unable to support the game. This is not the case here. The individual game segments are HUGE. This complaint is about as valid for BO2 as it would be for Halo.

They complain about the combat system being too simplistic. A partially valid complaint. In order to win in combat one has to learn how to block and dodge unblockable attacks. Given that this isn't a fighter, that's not an unreasonable amount of simplicity.

They complain about how all of the boss battles are the same. Entirely unfounded. Yes, each boss battle has multiple segments. However, each segment with each boss is completely different. There's no overlap between combat styles here. The only commonality they share is the need for multiple approaches to each one.

There are some valid places to criticize this game (e.g. clipping). Despite this criticism, it's still one of the best titles out for any console. I can only assume that this reviewer was either having a bad day, hates these types of games, or has a serious grudge against the Xbox.

Snoopy7548
04-29-2002, 02:06 PM
yea, i was like wtf man. lol. but they said that the grapple moves (where kain picks the guys up by their necks) are all the same move and get repetitive, but obviously he hasnt played the game for more than 30 min, or else he would have found out that kain has a ton of different cool moves he can do while holding someone (especially while hes holding weapons and stuff, and when youre special move meter thing is up, kain can do some cool stuff to the guy hes holding up):mad: