PDA

View Full Version : Halo on-line just gets bigger and better!

l Maximus l
04-29-2002, 04:36 PM
Man, XBConnect is amazing! The newest version 1.0G is, without a doubt, the most impressive version yet!

I keep seeing more and more people on there...and Halo, all in all, is becoming even more huge in popularity since it's able to be played on-line!!

Seriously! I cannot even come close to getting bored of Halo, especially since it can be played on-line! It's so amazing...and more and more people that are on XBConnect seemingly have amazing connections! I can honestly say that 3/4 of all the hosts are running bandwidth speeds that are at or above 400kbps! With that, a host can have as many as 4 XBoxes with mutliple people on each box with minimal lag!

Halo's popularity is only growing! Amazing game....:)

dave_m123
04-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Pity Xbox connect doesent find my Xbox and as a result doesent let me play a game :(.

SIVEL
04-29-2002, 04:50 PM
But what is to become of "XBOX LIVE" im hearing rumors that MCST is mackin thier online service a monthly $15 charge. If so that blows! Anyone know if it's true? Should be free like xbconnect and gametunnel!

Xtopia
04-29-2002, 04:58 PM
I tottally agree! I never host at XBConnect! Just join! There are so many cool hosts!

Snoopy7548
04-29-2002, 05:00 PM
theres another xbox program thingy out, i think its at www.xboxnet.org it claims to have a special compression thing that makes it almost lag free and stuff, it just started out, thers not many people on it, i havent tried it yet though

silvertrace
04-29-2002, 05:22 PM
yep........i been on xbconnect for some time now and i've seen it grow........its better than gamespy in everyway.....don't take our word for it, just try it..................

*i remember gettin flamed for tellin people to try xbconnect, so its gratifying to see maximus sayin its good, maybe people will give it a try...................:rolleyes:

Calve
04-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Yo Max im goin to my couzins this weekend and he has cable and me and him are looking forward to playing halo and THPS3 online I have some questions:

Should i use XboxConnect or GameSpy??? Which is easiar to use??

what materials do i need???

Peace

any help would be appreciated

darianX
04-29-2002, 06:36 PM
Someone earlier said that Xbox Live should be free - WRONG!!!! You sound just like one of those moronic Linux users who won't pay a dime for anything. How do you think they're going to pay for all the infrastructure that will enable you to play online like they're planning? Gamespy and Xboxconnect are nothing more than hacks that fool the Xbox into thinking it's system linked with others physically. That's why there is a good deal of lag, and also why they advise you to have 256K up on your connection. I seriously doubt Xbox Live will behave in that manner because Microsoft really wants the online part of Xbox to fly. Furthermore, there's the probability that part of the profits from Xbox Live will go back into the hardware cash pot, i.e. help to cover losses in selling the Xbox.

If, and that's a big if, Xbox Live is successful, it will provide a model for online console gaming. And guess what? It won't be free. And if very few people jump on the bandwagon, it'll be dropped like a bad habit. So there's a choice if you enjoy online gaming - support it by subscribing or whine about how much it costs and watch it die.

Also, don't be surprised if Microsoft would pull the plug on the Gamespy or Xconnect things after Live goes live. Perhaps they won't eliminate them alltogether, but require them to pay a fee or something like that. Either way, free online Halo will go away. I don't want to be a wet towel on the subject but these are some realities to think about. There is a war going on and the Xbox isn't winning yet. We captured some ground and are holding it but we need a lot more to win. Freebies won't win the war.

l Maximus l
04-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Calve
Yo Max im goin to my couzins this weekend and he has cable and me and him are looking forward to playing halo and THPS3 online I have some questions:

Should i use XboxConnect or GameSpy??? Which is easiar to use??

what materials do i need???

Peace

any help would be appreciated

Definately XBConnect! (By the way, it's not "XBoxConnect", it's "XBConnect" - don't worry, though...I thought the same thing at first...I just don't want you to confuse it, though :D)

At first, Gamespy is a little more complicated only because you have to search the site to get to the XBox function. Of course you can create an icon so all you have to do is click. Once you do, you open yourself up to several ads and banners that you have to "X" out of.

At XBConnect, it's strictly an XBox site! It's sweet! Dedicated to the old green and black! Also, there are no ads at all! It's simply sweet!

The only thing that I can think that XBConnect needs to add that Gamespy has is a symbol or some sort of an indication that shows that a game is actually open or closed. Other than that, XBConnect is better all around :)

As for "materials"...this is what you need:

Requirements:

1. Broadband modem (Cable, DSL, or T1, etc)
2. Three standard CAT 5 Patch cables (not crossovers)
3. One 10/100 HUB or Switch (I think Routers will work, too...but, you don't need that).

Installation:

1. From your Broadband modem, input the first CAT 5 cable into it and the other end into the port on the HUB labelled "uplink".
2. From your Ethernet port on your computer, input a second CAT 5 cable into it and the other end into one of the available ports on the HUB (port #1 for example)
3. Finally, from your XBox, input the final CAT 5 cable into the back of it and the other end into another available port on the HUB (Port #2 for example).

That's it! Have fun and look me up! :D

ShannonX
04-29-2002, 06:51 PM
hmm, i tried using xbconnect just this saturday (version 1.0G), the lag was terrible for me.. .it was me and a friend, 2 xbox's and 2 people total. i have 384kbps upload (as i just tested it about an hour before i tried) and my friend said he was just pretty much frozen... so we went to gamespy, and we were actually able to play a game. So i dunno, but so far xbconnect hasn't worked for me at all. Could be the way i have my internet sharing set up, who knows.

l Maximus l
04-29-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by darianX
Someone earlier said that Xbox Live should be free - WRONG!!!! You sound just like one of those moronic Linux users who won't pay a dime for anything. How do you think they're going to pay for all the infrastructure that will enable you to play online like they're planning? Gamespy and Xboxconnect are nothing more than hacks that fool the Xbox into thinking it's system linked with others physically. That's why there is a good deal of lag, and also why they advise you to have 256K up on your connection. I seriously doubt Xbox Live will behave in that manner because Microsoft really wants the online part of Xbox to fly. Furthermore, there's the probability that part of the profits from Xbox Live will go back into the hardware cash pot, i.e. help to cover losses in selling the Xbox.

If, and that's a big if, Xbox Live is successful, it will provide a model for online console gaming. And guess what? It won't be free. And if very few people jump on the bandwagon, it'll be dropped like a bad habit. So there's a choice if you enjoy online gaming - support it by subscribing or whine about how much it costs and watch it die.

Also, don't be surprised if Microsoft would pull the plug on the Gamespy or Xconnect things after Live goes live. Perhaps they won't eliminate them alltogether, but require them to pay a fee or something like that. Either way, free online Halo will go away. I don't want to be a wet towel on the subject but these are some realities to think about. There is a war going on and the Xbox isn't winning yet. We captured some ground and are holding it but we need a lot more to win. Freebies won't win the war.

Excellent points here, darianX, however, the only thing I may disagree with is the possibility that Microsoft will pull the plug on XBConnect and Gamespy. One of the main reasons is that Gamespy and XBConnect can only play on-line games that are System Link capable...not actual on-line games. You are correct as Halo can only be played as a LAN and XBConnect and Gamespy simply manipulate the XBox making it "believe" that it's an actual LAN when it's not. Well said there.

Also, I would like to also mention that it's quite possible that Microsoft enjoys the fact that Gamespy and XBConnect actually exist as they are, in a way, marketing the XBox and it's capabilities. In addition, the people behind Gamespy and XBConnect are independant, so, I don't think Microsoft has much say in the matter...in my opinion, it would be foolish for Microsoft to pull the plug on them if that is what they choose to do.

Obviously, I don't really disagree with you...I actually agree, but, those are a couple thoughts that surfaced in my mind while reading your post. Either case, I'm probably going to be the first dude to get XBox Live when it comes out!! Woooooooo Hoooooooooo!!! :D

l Maximus l
04-29-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
hmm, i tried using xbconnect just this saturday (version 1.0G), the lag was terrible for me.. .it was me and a friend, 2 xbox's and 2 people total. i have 384kbps upload (as i just tested it about an hour before i tried) and my friend said he was just pretty much frozen... so we went to gamespy, and we were actually able to play a game. So i dunno, but so far xbconnect hasn't worked for me at all. Could be the way i have my internet sharing set up, who knows.

Wow! That is very unusual. Try downloading it again...maybe something happened in your download. That's the first time I've heard of XBConnect having a problem. It's probably something really minor... :confused:

Snoopy7548
04-29-2002, 06:57 PM
hey max, did u get the messages i sent u on gamespy?:D

ShannonX
04-29-2002, 07:46 PM
yeah, i dunno if its on his end, or if its my cable service getting badly degraded. I'm "almost" tempted to get buisness class DSL when i move (if i move), but i'm not sure of the 100 - 150 dollar a month bill. Maybe in a year when i graduate from DeVry i might be able to afford something like that. I've went do www.dslreports.com and did speed tests so i know my lines working with the "advertised" speed. You dont think having the 2 Nic setup (cable modem to my computer, then my 2nd nic to the hub with the Xbox plugged into the hub) would make a difference?

Crazy Joe
04-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by darianX

Microsoft could make the service free, they could add an extra $5 fee onto every game that has Xbox Live capabilities or just eat the cost. There are many different possibilities, the way i thought it could work is for FPS games and sports games, etc. the service would be free but for MMORPGs there would be a subscription fee.

btw, what about battle.net run by blizzard? that doesn't cost a penny, they use their game revenues to fund it, why couldn't MS do the same?

OppiumNitrates
04-29-2002, 09:01 PM
i got XBconnect almost 2 weeks ago, and i havent done much else but play it . . . anyone else addicted to XBC like crack

Calve
04-29-2002, 10:07 PM
Thanx max!!!

i attached this image and it looks like we are going wiht PLAN B!!!

so we need 3 CAT5 cables........ would those be the same as RJ45 cables (dont make fun of me if im way off the chain lol:D)???

so now that weve confirmed that we're goin wit plan b the materials you previously posted would all be needed..........correct????

Peace and Thanx:)

Calve
04-29-2002, 10:11 PM
Thanx max!!!

according to this image http://www.xboxconnector.com/imgs/xboxconnectorhowto.gif it looks like we are going wiht PLAN B!!!

so we need 3 CAT5 cables........ would those be the same as RJ45 cables (dont make fun of me if im way off the chain lol:D)???

so now that weve confirmed that we're goin wit plan b the materials you previously posted would all be needed..........correct????

Peace and Thanx:)

Calve
04-29-2002, 10:13 PM
sorry about that double post my comp is screwed up!!!!

oh ya and Max if we get xbox hooked up right me n my cuz will look you up!!!

whats yer ID

thanks

Peace:)

darianX
04-30-2002, 11:49 AM
Microsoft could make the service free, they could add an extra $5 fee onto every game that has Xbox Live capabilities or just eat the cost. There are many different possibilities, the way i thought it could work is for FPS games and sports games, etc. the service would be free but for MMORPGs there would be a subscription fee.

They could add a couple bucks to the price of the game but just imagine the uproar. I've seen so many people on this forum complain about the price now, adding 5 clams would make Xbox games the most expensive out there. As for eating the cost, I can't see them doing that because they're already losing $100 on each Xbox sold. It'll take a while before it turns a profit through game sales. I believe it took Sony over a year before the PS2 became profitable, around the time when all the good games came out and sold like hotcakes. Remember that Sony has a larger installed base too.

Battle.net is indeed free, funded by game sales. That's a different story though. Blizzard makes games only. Microsoft is manufacturing hardware and publishing games. You could say that Microsoft has deep pockets but they aren't going to keep venturing into negative profit territory.

I guess I'm a firm believer in the old addage "you get what you pay for", something I've learned the hard way. :)

Snoopy7548
04-30-2002, 01:54 PM
true, but it could be free. microsoft is the richest company in the world, and bill gates is the richest man in the world. i think they could do something for us xbox owners, like it could be a little gift, being able to have xbox live for free, it could be a thank you for purchasing the system and everything.:D

l Maximus l
04-30-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Calve
sorry about that double post my comp is screwed up!!!!

oh ya and Max if we get xbox hooked up right me n my cuz will look you up!!!

whats yer ID

thanks

Peace:)

My XBConnect ID is [XBA]-Maximus. I put the XBA on there just in case you see a different Maximus for some reason...also to advertise this amazing site :D

An RJ45 is the same thing...just make sure that on the package it says "Patch cable" because it's possible that you could accidentally purchase a crossover. You don't want a crossover because it won't work :)

l Maximus l
04-30-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
yeah, i dunno if its on his end, or if its my cable service getting badly degraded. I'm "almost" tempted to get buisness class DSL when i move (if i move), but i'm not sure of the 100 - 150 dollar a month bill. Maybe in a year when i graduate from DeVry i might be able to afford something like that. I've went do www.dslreports.com and did speed tests so i know my lines working with the "advertised" speed. You dont think having the 2 Nic setup (cable modem to my computer, then my 2nd nic to the hub with the Xbox plugged into the hub) would make a difference?

That could possibly be it! Try unhooking it and running your broadband modem through the uplink port on your Switch and give it a shot. In either case, you'll have internet access :)

Calve
04-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Thanks Max!!!

if i get it all set up ill look you up:)

Peace

Snoopy7548
04-30-2002, 05:04 PM
go to www.gocables.com they have such cheap cat-5 cables. thats where i bought my 50 foot one for 15 bucks! the shipping is fast too, and the cable is also very good quality.:D

Calve
04-30-2002, 07:14 PM
yo snoop how fast is delivery????i needem by friday lol so ill prolly head out to staples.........

Peace

Calve
04-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Hold up

eeeerrrrrrr

i was thinking that XB connect was www.xboxconnector.com:mad: Sh*t im an idiot!!!!! should i use www.xbconnect.com or www.xboxconnector.com

Peace and please excuse my stupidity:D

Calve
04-30-2002, 07:56 PM
are these cat five cables???

Snoopy7548
05-01-2002, 01:51 PM
yea

daedalus
05-06-2002, 05:20 PM
:D

Snoopy7548
05-06-2002, 06:01 PM
yea, there is. its called XboxGW i think. go to www.xboxgw.com i think thats the name of the site