PDA

View Full Version : MS drops HD A/V pack in Australia

LynxFX
04-30-2002, 03:12 AM
This was from the 23rd but I didn't see anyone else mention it unless I was blind for a day. :)

Source (http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,4180900%255E15321,00.html)

MICROSOFT has hit another snag with its Xbox games console.

Its HDTV pack has compatibility problems with Australian television standards.

The $39.95 pack is designed for playing games on high-definition television sets, but the technology giant has withdrawn it because it fell short of the promised functionality.

Microsoft would not be re-releasing the HDTV pack in Australia and would instead promote its Advanced AV pack, which was "more appropriate" for Australian systems, Xbox spokesman Simon Balderstone said.

He denied Microsoft had brought out an HDTV pack with the wrong specifications for Australian televisions.

The local HDTV standard was to blame because it capped resolution at 480i -- much lower than the resolution enabled overseas by the HDTV pack, he said.

Mr Balderstone said the pack had provided some, but not all, of the expected benefits. Video was of higher quality than that provided by standard AV cable by component inputs and Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound by digital optical inputs.

The drawback was that it did not enable game-play on HDTV. "The HDTV pack does not enable HDTV in Australia since the highest resolution in Australia is 480i," Mr Balderstone said.

"The progressive scan modes aren't enabled on the Australian system, so you can't get to the level of expected benefit here."

Only a few hundred people had purchased the pack and less than 10 had complained, but Microsoft had stopped shipping the pack, he said.

Mr Balderstone said there would be no product recall, but customers could swap the pack for an Advanced AV pack and a free game or obtain a full cash refund from the retailer.....
more. (http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,4180900%255E15321,00.html)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't realize that you fine folks in Australia can not display progressive scan modes, only interlaced. So you do get 1080i (HDTV) and 480i but no 480p and 720p. Anyone here buy the HDTV pack?

BCan
04-30-2002, 07:12 AM
Sadly our Federal Govt made a hodge podge of a Digital TV standard.

It goes something like this:

Mainly it is still SDTV, standard definition is the main broadcast type, with the Dolby Digital as sound. Very rare for complete HDTV broadcasts. The extra bandwidth is more likely than not to be filled in by extra channels.

That is why there are barely any HDTV sets, or even converter units here in Australia, since we have a standard that hedges it's bets between all kinds of Digital TV transmission, and no other country operates like this, so the sets are unique to Australia.

Personally, if they'd follow Europe, since they are PAL based, and use that, because Southern Asia is also PAL, so it would be cheaper to use these kind of sets. Until the Australian Govt fixes up Digital TV broadcasts here, it will never succeed.

Only have 6 years to fix it up before they supposedly switch off the Analogue transmissions.

Rancey
04-30-2002, 07:35 AM
I bought 3, before they were recalled MS swapped the HDTV pack for an Advanced AV Pack and first party game if you sent it to them...unfortunately I only seem to have 2 games + Adv AV Pack returned thus far....mmm

LynxFX
04-30-2002, 01:18 PM
That really sucks though. Why is it that the government always messes with our gaming.

I do hope that they step in to stop the MPAA and all of this HDCP crapola.

l Maximus l
04-30-2002, 01:41 PM
Wow, that hugs...sounds more like a dictatorship! :D I mean, the Australian government is messing with man's pride and joy! What's up with that? :confused:

dude
05-01-2002, 04:02 AM
Microsoft won't be releasing a working HDTV pack for australian standards?? What a joke.

Thanks for your support fellas.
(lucky i dont have a HDTV or i would be REALLY ****ed)

By the way, as far as i know the Australian standard is not worse than the american standard, it is just Different. The australian standard supports full 1080i RES which is comparable with any progressive scan in the 700s. (feel free to correct me on this)

Later uall

, yeah Lynxfx my mate bought a HDTV pack but his tv only supports 480i anyhow (he got it for the Dolby)

FeelinDandy
05-01-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Jason-XBA
I bought 3, before they were recalled MS swapped the HDTV pack for an Advanced AV Pack and first party game if you sent it to them...unfortunately I only seem to have 2 games + Adv AV Pack returned thus far....mmm

So how do you return the HDTV pack to get an Advance AV and game?

Thanks

dude
05-02-2002, 05:08 AM
Does Any one in Australia still have the packaging for the xbox HDTV pack? I want to know exactly what it says on the back but it has been recalled. cheers.

Rancey
05-02-2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by dude
Does Any one in Australia still have the packaging for the xbox HDTV pack? I want to know exactly what it says on the back but it has been recalled. cheers.

If you are looking for something to say it does indeed support it, pick up a pamphlet, there are heaps of originals still around that state it does.

dude
05-04-2002, 01:53 AM
illl have a look mate