PDA

View Full Version : From Software says yes to Xbox

Old Sckool
05-01-2002, 05:52 AM
From Software is beloved amongst mech & RPG fanatics for its rich stable of simulations including Armored Core, Kings Field, and Evergrace, to name just a few. It's that devout user base they hope to reach with their next-generation game series including Murakumo and Gaia Blade for the Xbox. To discuss their newfound support of Microsoft's console, From Software producer Kami-san recently went on record with Famitsu Xbox.

Famitsu Xbox: Why did you decide to develop for Xbox?

Kami-san: Mostly because of our user base. While some developers might deny it, the GameCube is geared towards younger players and the PlayStation 2 caters to casual gamers. We feel the Xbox suits the hardcore player. And since our games tend to appeal to hardcore players, we felt the Xbox would be perfect for us. Of course the Xbox's specifications were appealing too. We've only been developing for the Xbox for a short period of time, but already we've done things that are impossible on any other console. For example, urban backgrounds in games are very simplistic due to hardware limitations. However, on the Xbox we can render each building individually. The Xbox has the power to change the nature of games.

The fact that the Xbox comes with a built-in harddisk is also attractive. The harddisk is very easy to use for the developer and the players, and when network compatible games become more popular, it will be easy to incorporate the harddisk for future Xbox games. The harddisk has other advantages over traditional memory cards as well, such as saving games in realtime. Technically speaking, when you save with a memory card you're setting a 'software flag' internally. On the Xbox, saved games are calculated as numerical values, which opens the door for new development possibilities.

Famitsu Xbox: Have you begun experimenting with the Xbox's networking capabilities?

Kami-san: Right now we're trying to decide the best way to use the networking features. We don't think they're essential, but we plan to incorporate them in future games.

Famitsu Xbox: What are your thoughts on the Xbox's performance outside Japan?

Kami-san: We're aware of how the system is selling in North America, but we don't plan to cater to that market. We create games squarely based on our own ideas. I don't think we'll ever develop a game strictly with one territory in mind. Games that are specialized to one region tend to lack depth and appear half-baked to the player. We want to make games which are successful in Japan and overseas. My development style is to create games without compromising my vision and imagination, and let the players be the ultimate judge.

Famitsu Xbox: Can you tell us about your mech-racing title Murakumo for the Xbox?

Kami-san: We're trying to convey a sense of speed to the player in Murakumo. To do that we needed huge environments, which necessitated tremendous rendering power. That's why we decided to develop Murakumo for Xbox. When development began I realized the problem with existing consoles wasn't how to render cityscapes, but how to allow the player to fully explore them. It's really tough. [laughs..] Everything the eye can see must be fully rendered. We're working very hard to realize this concept, and while the possibility exists to incorporate harddisk and networking features, creating a sense of speed and depth is our main goal.

Famitsu Xbox: And Gaia Blade?

Kami-san: The main point of the game is terrain manipulation. Players can completely sculpt the land and develop battle strategies based on their terrain choices.

Famitsu Xbox: Aside from Gaia Blade and Murakumo, what other Xbox plans do you have?

Kami-san: We have another two titles in the planning stages. We'd like to try and develop a game geared towards children, but since our games are embraced by hardcore players, that's undoubtedly the audience we'll market them to. [laughs..] Going forward, I think the Xbox will be the best console for us.

-- Translation Asst. Walt Wyman

Hugh_Jass
05-01-2002, 08:02 AM
Good read.

Murakumo does look amazing. I hope it makes it to North America.

CoMATOSE
05-01-2002, 09:40 AM
thats wot i like 2 see, a developer presenting his personal ideas and not 2 a particullar region

ruuuuuuude!!!:cool: