PDA

View Full Version : High definition pack or Monster cable components??

heelfan71
05-01-2002, 06:27 AM
Newbie question. Going to buy an xbox. I have a 36" Wega (non HDTV) with component hookups. I still have a digital optical cable that was used on my PS2 for sound. Do I buy the High Defintion pack, or the monster cable components?? The monster cables cost 3 times the HD pack. Is it worth the difference??

Also, do the component cables come with the HD pack?? Are they any good, or should I buy some better ones?

Thanks

JJaX
05-01-2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
From Best to Worst (in terms of XBOX):

Component
SCART
S-Video
Composite
RF

heelfan71
05-01-2002, 07:53 AM
Thanks, I knew that. What I am asking is there any difference between the monster cable components and the HD pack??

JJaX
05-01-2002, 08:06 AM
Noob question, Noob answer :D

The component cables are priced at $30 and require that you use the analog AV cables for audio output and the digital AV cables for the Y Pr Pb component connections. Unlike the Xbox HD pack, these cables go directly from the console to the TV. This theoretically is a better connection than the Xbox HD pack which requires that the cables connect to an external box but in reality, as long as the pack is not positioned in an area prone to interference you're fine. We are aware that you can purchase Monster component cables for the Xbox but we've got our own issues with horribly overpriced cables.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1566&p=9

Hugh_Jass
05-01-2002, 08:11 AM
I believe the Monster Cable set has a proprietary optical cable. If you want to reuse the cable you already own you'd be better off with the HD AV Pack.

IMHO, the Monster Cable set will not give you a noticeably better XBOX gaming experience. Other people swear by Monster, however.

JJaX
05-01-2002, 08:17 AM
Thanks Hugh!!!!

:)

heelfan71
05-01-2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks, I will just get the HD pack and use my digital optical to the receiver. I used to swear by monster cable, but have since found they are over priced and over hyped.

mahalan
05-01-2002, 08:57 AM
Something else you may want to think about is the distance from your Xbox to your television. The Monster cables are a few feet longer than the MS version. For me, they were my only option. I actually purchased both to try them out side-by-side but was only able to span the divide with the Monster cable version. I did feel better about returning the MS cables since they were too short, however.

l Maximus l
05-01-2002, 10:13 AM
I purchased the Monster 400 series Component video cables for the XBox...mainly because I got them for an excellent price! I bought them from Best Buy...they were on sale and I ended up purchasing a set that was in a package that someone opened, therefore, they reduced the price only because of the packaging! So, I got a sweet deal!

The Monster cable is extremely high quality...the actual cable feels like a snake's skin...very cool looking, too, for a cable. It has 24 k gold connections (which is really nice) and has an optical input if you decide to use a surround sound system to meet your craving for excellent audio.

However, if I didn't run into such a good deal, I probably would have just gone with the regular MS High Def A/V pack instead. But, I couldn't pass this deal up! I got these $70 cables for only $35!! :)

The brilliance in video on my new 50" Toshiba HDTV Widescreen is mind blowing!! :eek: