PDA

View Full Version : Food For Thought:

Aragorn
09-27-2001, 10:49 AM
It is pretty much an established fact that the first edition of a console has a few, if not, a lot of bugs. It happens. It's the industry. Let alone the fact that this is microsoft we're talking about here. They're not exactly known for their perfection (though they make pretty **** good game hardware. *hugs his microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2*), and thus, I wouldn't doubt there'll be some errors. If any of you are like me though, the xbox will have plenty of reason to get an xbox upon release (****. I haven't played a good game since 1999). So just a thought:

You guys might want to consider getting an extended 1 or 2 year warrenty on the xbox. Therefore, if the xbox does have a lot of bugs, like poor ripping capabilities, cd scratching, bad hard drives, you can just bash the thing in, walk back into the store you purchased it from, tell the cashier "this thing just bashed it's self in" and it'll be replaced with a newer model. You like?

ThomasHun
09-27-2001, 12:33 PM
how long is the warranty if you just buy it 1 year?

sinizuh
09-27-2001, 12:47 PM
are you drunk? microsoft would never let xbox out of the factory if it had those problems... they've put too much money into it to screw up with little details. and plus, this isn't like Windows, where if something is wrong, you can just download/install a patch to fix it...

this is a locked box. once it's in, it better work.

Aragorn
09-27-2001, 01:13 PM
Pffft. whatever. Need I remind you of Windows? Hello, Microsoft is notorious for bugs. I may be an xbox obsessie with the best of em, but I'm not stupid.

cvking
09-27-2001, 03:46 PM
HEY good idea! , im gonna buy a one year warrenty, then im gonna bash the thing with a ****ing hammer

maneatingcow
09-27-2001, 05:21 PM
Like you said, Microsoft makes good hardware. So if there is a problem, it would most likely be with software (OS). Well, remeber that nice little feature known as a Hard Drive? I am certain that Microsoft has added a way to update the system OS due to any type of bug. In Japan Sony did it with the PS2's DVD Driver (They allowed for ALL region playback, which made some of the movie asociations angry...hehe). I think Microsoft has covered their a$$ on this one, as they don't want a bad rep. in the console gaming world.

Koopa
09-27-2001, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by sinizuh
are you drunk? microsoft would never let xbox out of the factory if it had those problems... they've put too much money into it to screw up with little details. and plus, this isn't like Windows, where if something is wrong, you can just download/install a patch to fix it...

this is a locked box. once it's in, it better work.

its a lock-box! Like Gore!! ya know?!

didn't you people watch the debates?!

okay..i don't really think there's anything to worry about in the matter of getting a bugged console...this isn't like a PC game made by a lazy developer...it NEEDS to be in working condition....right?:confused:

cvking
09-27-2001, 11:08 PM
stop quoteing!!!! Grr

Koopa
09-27-2001, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by cvking
stop quoteing!!!! Grr

read my title, punk:D

muahahahahhaa...the mad quoter strikes again!

I'll stop once I run out of cheesey jokes....and that wont happen any time soon.

Either that or I'll stop once you spell "quoeting" correctly, whichever happens first.

cvking
09-28-2001, 12:07 AM
lol, you already did

Aaron
09-28-2001, 12:19 AM
wtf are you on about

Koopa
09-28-2001, 12:30 AM
Cvking hurt my feelings:( I think I'll go cry like a baby now.

*notice the peculiar absence of a quote*

Aragorn
09-28-2001, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by maneatingcow
Like you said, Microsoft makes good hardware. So if there is a problem, it would most likely be with software (OS). Well, remeber that nice little feature known as a Hard Drive? I am certain that Microsoft has added a way to update the system OS due to any type of bug. In Japan Sony did it with the PS2's DVD Driver (They allowed for ALL region playback, which made some of the movie asociations angry...hehe). I think Microsoft has covered their a$$ on this one, as they don't want a bad rep. in the console gaming world.

So you're willing to bet a $300 dollar system that the thing is not going to have bugs, or are going to have patches against bugs (though the xbox direction directly spoke against patches)? Dunno, not very sound, is it? Afterall, this is a console, is it not? when was the last time you saw a console come out bugless.

Koopa
09-28-2001, 08:51 AM
does my GBA count, aragorn?

look ma', no quotes!

Aragorn
09-28-2001, 10:34 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010613l.gif

Yup. FLAWED!

Koopa
09-28-2001, 05:50 PM
LOL! thats pretty funny:D

although seriously...man I hate how all those little babies complain about the screen being too dark. either sit near a light or buy a ten dollar light add on thingie.

...**** there's no mad face on the smilie list...just pretend I put one here:rolleyes:

Aaron
09-28-2001, 06:16 PM
yes there is :mad:

as for GBA, there is flaws.

Check out the sound issues it has with older games

Dan Livingston
09-28-2001, 10:34 PM
I never liked sony because the first PS's overheated. the first PS2's had tons of bugs in them. The US's and Japan's are slightly different, causing 3rd party remotes to work weird. None of sony's counoles worked right the first time. it's a great feeling to be the first to own a console, but not a very good one when your neighbor has one that works better.

The biggest thing that M$ could do to **** me off is to include a DVD remote with the xbox for free(or at least let the controller suffice) after i've paid for a remote of course. I've allready braced myself for when M$ switches to the smaller remotes to please the japanese croud who have itty bitty hands ( and you know what that means)

Rancey
09-29-2001, 08:16 AM
Like a 500k win2k shell will have bugs.

CyberBOMB
10-01-2001, 11:09 AM
Thats what i was about to say rancey. Hello this isnt a Windows 98 OS!! It uses a Windows 2000 shell. Windows 2000, remember that? The whole 5 9's thing? Where its 99.999% stable. This isnt a big deal with bugs either, remember all the lil booger has to do is play games. Not deal with people installing new hard drives, video cards and sound cards at different times or all at once. Basically its like the OS is 400% more stable because it will only play dvd movies, xbox games and cd audio. To say that it will have some bugs in the hardware makes no sense as well. Every Xbox has the same hardware inside, so its not like it wont work in the first place.

MDK
10-07-2001, 06:58 AM
Im covering my own a$$ and waiting a year before i buy the thing. Do you people actually expect this system to be bugless? Come on, be serious now.
Regardless of how perfect Microsoft tries to make the Xbox, and regardless how much time and money they spend on it, it is only AFTER they release it they find out that the GPU can be rattled out, or 10% of the wallplugs in the world cause the CPU to overheat, or that the when pluged into a TV, it simply cant tune in because the signal is not strong enough for the TV to pick up.

Sony spent $hit loads of money on the PS2, making sure that they stayed in the A-list. But even though they were as carefull as possible, and playtested the system for eons, they still failed to pick up on MANY MNAY of its problems.

THIS IS UNCHARTED GROUNDS FOR CONSOLES, AND NOT EVEN MICROSOFT CAN AVOID EVERY BUG! SOME JUST HAPPEN!
BE SMART ABOUT IT AND LEARN FROM PEOPLES PAST MISTAKES!!