PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 to be shown at E3

crazyotto
05-01-2002, 06:46 PM
This is "all she wrote" its all good news!!!

April 29, 2002
NEWS
Halo 2 to be shown at E3

Playable at E3? Perhaps. More inside....

Microsoft wants more Xboxes than PS2's under the christmas tree this year, and what better way to achieve that goal than another Halo. Sources say the game will be shown at this years E3, with a possible Q4 release period.

The first tiny bit of details of the game have also been leaked. The entire Halo story is one super-heavy hint about the course of the sequel. We're told that the Halo itself is just one of many ringworlds peppered around space. Apparently Guilty Spark refers to our Halo as "Installation 04". So already we have a location, pregnant with the secrets of the mysterious alien race known as the forerunners.

- ED Note
After reposting this article originaly by John due to a database error i was told the news was first reported by Xgamer a Magazine that is based in the UK, I cannot cofirm nor deny that the information John collected was from Xgamer, but if it was credit has been given where it was due.-Steve

EHWfedPres
05-01-2002, 06:48 PM
I doubt we'll see halo 2 this year...but you never know. I would rather see it next year because rushed games always suck.

Whisper
05-01-2002, 06:55 PM
if Halo2 comes out this year, it will be the flop of the century... MORE TIME needs to be put into it

Snoopy7548
05-01-2002, 07:00 PM
i dont get it, he refers to OUR halo as installation 4? does that mean the earth has a halo weapon?

Whisper
05-01-2002, 07:05 PM
Halo2 is going to have a pretty good story IMO, possibly the Halo that was detroyed just a 'child' of the other Halo... or maybe the Cheif being somewhat 'framed' of being the brains behind Halo and must regain the trust of his allies while fighting off the combined forces of the flood and covenant... uhmm.. no sense made no sense made... but hey, it could happen.

Snoopy7548
05-01-2002, 07:07 PM
i hope that it takes place on earth, that would be so awesome, it could have like civilians and everything.:D

Whisper
05-01-2002, 07:09 PM
they can't make it too urban... I mean it would take away from the original if one of the objectives were, "Save The Hostages" ... and if it were to take place on Earth, you know that would be involved.

iliveonafarm
05-01-2002, 07:10 PM
If its out this quick, it makes me uneasy about it being top quality like the first one was:confused:

Josh

Snoopy7548
05-01-2002, 07:10 PM
yea, it would be cool if they added some more vehicles and weapons though. and a new race of bad guys, that would be so cool.:D

Nato King
05-01-2002, 07:11 PM
Like everybody is saying Halo 2 would need more time into it before I see a screen shot or something like that. I really like halo and if there is going to be a halo 2 they would need to make it better than the first halo that is all I have to say.:)

Whisper
05-01-2002, 07:13 PM
Graphically I don't think they will bother to improve it, they don't need to. They'll just make up some new story and pump it out to us for XMAS, oh its true, its DAM true.

It'll still be great but it'll only be a new weapon or two, a new enemy or two, and a new story.

MixMasta
05-01-2002, 07:32 PM
halo 2 is going to be sweet!!!

No Fear 23
05-01-2002, 08:46 PM
u know what they should have in halo 2??

they should have more marines and covenat in battles. like 200 marines agianst 250 + covenat or vice versa. imagine what that would be like!

MixMasta
05-01-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by irule23

they should have more marines and covenat in battles. like 200 marines agianst 250 + covenat or vice versa. imagine what that would be like!

that would be sweet!!:D

jschelm
05-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Serg_w
Like everybody is saying Halo 2 would need more time into it before I see a screen shot or something like that. I really like halo and if there is going to be a halo 2 they would need to make it better than the first halo that is all I have to say.:)

It is possible, even though unlikely, that they were already working on Halo 2 before Halo 1 came out. Heck they did it with Lord of the Rings. So maybe Halo 2 is already further along then we all think.

Frink
05-01-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by jschelm

It is possible, even though unlikely, that they were already working on Halo 2 before Halo 1 came out. Heck they did it with Lord of the Rings. So maybe Halo 2 is already further along then we all think.

Good thought. That's completely possible. I know that Scary Movie 2 was going to be released right after Scary Movie but they decided not to. It was already finished when the first one came out. Atleast that's what Entertainment Tonight said. Well I was half asleep so I may have heard that wrong.

MixMasta
05-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by professor_frink

Good thought. That's completely possible. I know that Scary Movie 2 was going to be released right after Scary Movie but they decided not to. It was already finished when the first one came out. Atleast that's what Entertainment Tonight said. Well I was half asleep so I may have heard that wrong.

i agree. what if halo 2 is almost complete?? whoa!!!!

Kraft
05-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by irule23

That would be cool, but its not really feasable. If you read the developers comments you would find out how happy they were to make the beachstorming scene at the beginning of Act 2 work. For every additional NPC the processor has to handle their AI. So not only is your box churning out graphics at a crazy rate, you are expecting it to handle over 400 AI's every second? Yeah, the xbox is fast, but not that fast. Nor does it have the ram capacity to effectively tackle this kind of situation.

and like jschelm said, Im sure they started the development of Halo 2 long before the original halo was complete.

E-Xbox
05-01-2002, 09:47 PM
that would be cool
imagine the people at bungie are playing halo 2 rite now
and looking at all the forums to see how they can make it better

hmm...makes ya think...

peace

EHWfedPres
05-01-2002, 10:30 PM
If I worked at a video game company making games, I'd be sure to come to places like this and find out what people want improved and what not...you're guranteed a good game then.

Young_Fledgling
05-01-2002, 10:51 PM
judging by what was said in this article i would make the assumption that the game WILL be out this year, They said they would like more xbox's sold at christmas and by putting out halo that would help boost the sales. So i think they will give it their all to get the game out before christmas. This will most likely be a bad thing since the game may be rushed a little more, but even though i think that the game will still be stellar but still you wonder what even a month more would do for the game.

Thank you very much for posting that info, quite interesting.

iliveonafarm
05-02-2002, 12:33 AM
from what i heard, i dunno if it is true, but someone said that as soon as bungie saw how successful the Xbox launch was and how such a high percentage of people bought halo with thier Xbox, they started work on Halo 2 then. That would give them a little less than 6 months so far to work on it. I dunno, thats just somethin i heard.

Josh

LynxFX
05-02-2002, 01:00 AM
Even if they just started working on it when the Xbox launched (6 months ago) that doesn't mean that they have to start from scratch like they did with Halo. They could use the same game engine and just create new characters and weapons. If they released it in December that would be a full 12 months of work which is plenty and I'm sure they had something started before the launch so we are looking at 12+ months on a game that basically just needs new maps, characters and weapons. That is all art department stuff. Add some new surprises and we have Halo2 ready for Christmas.

JJaX
05-02-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by jschelm

Thank you.........

Halo 2 will probaly use the same engine as Halo. They have all the tools and editors to whip out a whole new game. I See a Q4 release very possible.

JJaX
05-02-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Even if they just started working on it when the Xbox launched (6 months ago) that doesn't mean that they have to start from scratch like they did with Halo. They could use the same game engine and just create new characters and weapons. If they released it in December that would be a full 12 months of work which is plenty and I'm sure they had something started before the launch so we are looking at 12+ months on a game that basically just needs new maps, characters and weapons. That is all art department stuff. Add some new surprises and we have Halo2 ready for Christmas.

I didnt see your post Lynxfx. But we are trying to make people think on a higher level :D

new game doesnt always mean entire new game. Look at the half-life series.........

Kraft
05-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Yeah, but a new game engine does help now and then, look at the quake series :confused:

JJaX
05-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Yeah, but a new game engine does help now and then, look at the quake series :confused:

Quake = Quake engine
Quake 2 = Quake 2 engine
Quake 3= Quake 3 engine

It got Drastically better each time.

But I think given the time frame between halo & halo 2(if its even true) . It will be more like the half-life series. Same engine, same gameplay, New story more action and options ;)

Kraft
05-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Quake = Quake engine
Quake 2 = Quake 2 engine
Quake 3= Quake 3 engine

It got Drastically better each time.

Yeah, that was my point :D I don't think halflife got a whole lot 'better' until they released counterstrike though, and that wasn't even made by valve and gearbox, that was made by a mod team and eventually endorsed an marketed through Sierra. What was the second Halflife one where you played through the eyes of one of the soldiers? Anyways, it was fun but nothing new. I paid like 15 bucks for it. If this is what we have to look forward to with the next halo you can count me in as 'severly dissapointed'...

JJaX
05-02-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU

Yeah, that was my point :D I don't think halflife got a whole lot 'better' until they released counterstrike though, and that wasn't even made by valve and gearbox, that was made by a mod team and eventually endorsed an marketed through Sierra. What was the second Halflife one where you played through the eyes of one of the soldiers? Anyways, it was fun but nothing new. I paid like 15 bucks for it. If this is what we have to look forward to with the next halo you can count me in as 'severly dissapointed'...

Yeah you played as one of the soilders sent to kill the scientest you played int he 1st one.

If another Halo comes out by Q4, then should call it halo2. They should call it Halo next ring. Not really a fully rebuilt sequel, But more like half-life as i metioned earlier. Im sorry, but by december 10 new missions on a new ring is more than welcome for this marine. Keep the same engine and keep pooping out chapters bungie!! But in the mean time, keep cracking away at a new engine for the future.

Brevity
05-02-2002, 10:08 AM
That would rock to see it out this year. Or even a add on,..

l Maximus l
05-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Personally, I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if Halo 2 was on the same engine! The minimum that would make me run out and buy it would just be the fact that there were additional multi-player levels! I love this game! :D

Steve1987
05-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Same here Maximus

As long as i can continue kicking some alien ass! I'll be happy :cool:

silvertrace
05-02-2002, 11:56 AM
i agree, the response for Halo has to have people at Bungie working diligently on popping out Halo 2 by christmas.......and like others said, i don't need a new engine, just give me new maps and weapons...................:cool:

*silvertrace starts his letter to santa with "halo2".......ONLINE STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave_m123
05-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Wasent each quake engine after the original partly based on the one before it?

Spaztic
05-02-2002, 12:02 PM
I read in a previous post that someone said they should drop you into a huge war with like 200 marines and aliens fighting it out! That is an awsome idea I would love to be dropped into a place of mass distruction.

Halo 2 being ready by Q4 is not to hard to imagine. the physics are the hardest thing to program and they got those down. They just need to create a couple of different types of aliens, get rid of the flood! get a good storyline, and chop out some of the repeditiveness on some of the levels! Halo2 is not hard to imagine hopefully they don't take a step back by trying to push this game out to fast! They need to add some bots on multiplayer, realtime damage on the people you are shooting, and more vehicles and weapons. And being able to fly the banshee during multiplayer would bring a whole new light to the game. If they do add the banshee to multiplayer they need to incorporate a bombing mechinism! That would be sweet! Oh yeah and a fully distructible enviroment. That you be the **** to be able to shoot a rocket launcher over someones head and a chunk of rock kills them! oh yeah I want to see some heads roll!

Hugh_Jass
05-02-2002, 06:38 PM
If they release Halo 2 this Christmas you can bet it will be the same engine. They might be able to include some more polys this time since they now know what the XBOX can do. If that happens it will probably mean more objects on the screen at one time rather than increased resolution of individual objects.

It would be cool if they bundled it with a special controller, ala Tekki.

l Maximus l
05-02-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls
I read in a previous post that someone said they should drop you into a huge war with like 200 marines and aliens fighting it out! That is an awsome idea I would love to be dropped into a place of mass distruction.

Halo 2 being ready by Q4 is not to hard to imagine. the physics are the hardest thing to program and they got those down. They just need to create a couple of different types of aliens, get rid of the flood! get a good storyline, and chop out some of the repeditiveness on some of the levels! Halo2 is not hard to imagine hopefully they don't take a step back by trying to push this game out to fast! They need to add some bots on multiplayer, realtime damage on the people you are shooting, and more vehicles and weapons. And being able to fly the banshee during multiplayer would bring a whole new light to the game. If they do add the banshee to multiplayer they need to incorporate a bombing mechinism! That would be sweet! Oh yeah and a fully distructible enviroment. That you be the **** to be able to shoot a rocket launcher over someones head and a chunk of rock kills them! oh yeah I want to see some heads roll!

Yeah, dude!! Heads rolling around! Nice idea! Man, I love hearing about new ideas for Halo 2!

Some people may perceive that if we think of all of these ideas and they don't appear in the new Halo that some of us may be let down or bummed out. Not me! Even if they did NOTHING but add a few more multi-player maps, I would be content!!! :D So, if that's the only thing that will make this Marine happy, then, I can't imagine how hyped up I'm going to be if/when Bungie goes crazy mad making additional stuff!

One thing I can't get over is the idea of having multiple teams! So, instead of just having a red and blue team, they should also add a green and black team, for example! That would be sweet if they added multiple teams and stuff! Woooooooooo Hoooooooooooo!! :D

LynxFX
05-02-2002, 07:44 PM
Exactly JJaX.

Besides, you can't compare the Quake series since each engine was based on a new set of video cards and a different version of Direct X and Glide back then.

Bungie could probably tweak it though but I don't see them redoing the engine even if Halo was scheduled to come out in 2 years.