PDA

View Full Version : INTER might jeopardise the future of Xbox and AMD in order to make their CPUs better

knight007jb
05-02-2002, 10:19 AM
We all know that NVIDIA plays a big roll for Xbox. Thats why they are the new friends of Microsoft. Well, guess who wants them just as much. Yep, Intel.

Intel CPUs were used for Xbox. But don't expect them to be in Xbox 2. They were not as easy to get this time and another reason is that Microsoft now knows that Intel's plans for thier CPUs was to try to combine power of thier processors with NVIDIA's graphics power onto one device. And thats where AMD comes in. After Intel's progress in CPU industry, they are almost at the point of death (well, thats just my opinion). Anyways, this might be AMD's big break. From what I heard, Microsoft will most likely use AMD processors for Xbox 2. If Intel's plan goes though, what is Microsoft going to do?

Read more here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/24530.html
or do a search on Xbox 2 for even more info.

Kraft
05-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Actually that is really far from the truth. AMD is nowhere near death and is starting to wrench part of the processor market away from Intel. This is almost unheard of as Intel has crushed numerous competitiors (Cyrix, evergreen, etc.). From what I understand, the reason Intel got the original XBox deal over AMD is because AMDs at the time of the XBox idea conception, still had stability issues. These doubts have been erased with the release of the new Athlon XP line, which when compared with Pentium III and IV chips of the same speed, AMD blows intel out of the water.

Another reason they might be going with AMD is that AMD and NVidia are bosom buddies, and they design their chips around each other. An NVidia Geforce when coupled with an Athlon XP will perform many times better than if it is coupled with a Pentium. If we see AMD Athlon XPs in the next box along with the latest and baddest Geforce... Its going to be a wonder to behold...

Steve1987
05-02-2002, 12:05 PM
I agree with you KraftSLU.
I'm sure if you look around you'll find benchmarks comparing the 2 compaines chips, with a nvidia geforce card.
AMD are also the chip to go for if your building a pc for games, don't know exactly why, but it's like Kraft said AMD chips get on with Nvidia cards a lot better. :p

Mr Blonde
05-03-2002, 11:09 AM
they are almost at the point of death I'm sorry but what planet are you on? What on earth gives you this idea?

LynxFX
05-03-2002, 11:49 AM
LOL, yeah a company that has consistantly gained market share for every quarter over the past four years is almost dead. :rolleyes:

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-03-2002, 01:29 PM
i would prefer intel!

CodeMonkey
05-03-2002, 04:14 PM
Whatever information u may find about the Xbox 2, regarding speed, performance, graphics and PROCESSOR MAKE etc its all just talk. I mean technology changes by the day and by time the Xbox comes out INTEL may well be playing second fiddle to AMD.

Also I have the AMD XP and I think it’s a great processor, runs much cooler then the past AMD CPU and is very stable…
:D

Metal_Militia
05-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Besides, isn't it just a TAD early to be freaking out over Xbox2? :D