PDA

View Full Version : Online Halo.

heartsxcarved
05-02-2002, 07:55 PM
Im gonna figure this post will get burried within a few minutes.. but this is about Online Halo.. here is my setup... Cable modem comming through wireless linksys, free ehternet port, xbox and cat5 cable. Linksys has a firewall that i dont know how to bypass, so i cant host games.. I tried joining games and it was all good, untill i got to that white window that you can chat in before the game starts. It says "xbox not detected"..... I dont know what to do, and im dying to play.

Discretion
05-02-2002, 09:29 PM
I got Linksys and it has a automatic wall but dont stop me..

Young_Fledgling
05-02-2002, 09:54 PM
isn't it listed in the task monitor thing by the clock on ur comp? if so then just right click and disable it or something... or just read the help files or manual or something and see if there is away to disable it!

techie
05-02-2002, 10:14 PM
is the linksys a router? if so you should be able to go
into the setup menu via your web browser by typing
in the correct ip address. then you should have access
to everything you need, such as disabling your firewall
or setting up your udp ports. the linksys manual should
have all this information available, or you can go to
their website and access the manuals in pdf format.

XBOX MSSC
05-03-2002, 10:19 AM
i'm stumped:D

l Maximus l
05-03-2002, 11:48 AM
Hey, Heart...to disable your firewall, simply go to "My Computer" and go to your internet connections or LAN connections selection. I have XP and it's on the advanced internet options tab. All you do is uncheck the box to disable the firewall. It's really easy. If you still can't figure out how to do it, call Linksys customer support and they'll gladly walk you through it :)

Also, were you trying XBConnect? If so, to find a game, you have to go into the room like normal, however, your XBox, on your TV, must be at the "Finding games" screen after you select your character in the System Link section. Otherwise, it won't work.

Hope this helps...happy gaming! :)

darianX
05-03-2002, 02:07 PM
Sounds like you have to open up the port the software uses....I don't know what it is. Check the website of whatever software you're using, they should have it listed. Then allow connections on that port in the Linksys setup. Hope that helps a bit even though I've never played online with the Xbox...

DrUnKtAnK
05-03-2002, 04:05 PM
Open port 8602 on your linksys router....

Just in case you don't know how, go to the setup page (typing in your router's ip address, click setup, advanced tab, and I think where you need to open or forward the ports. There will be a listing of what ports you have open or closed. In the list just add 8602 ~ 8602 and select UDP and save your changes. It should work be doing that) Hope this helps.

and if you are also running a 'software' firewall like Zonealarm, you most likely have to disable it while playing HALO online or when you are connecting to xbconnect....;)

Metal_Militia
05-03-2002, 04:09 PM
I myself haven't tried online HALO, too much technical stuffs for my taste.

DrUnKtAnK
05-03-2002, 04:14 PM
Frequently Asked Questions

OK... I got an XBox and a broadband internet connection. How do I get this thing to work?

1.Take a look at some common network connection configurationshttp://www.xbconnect.com/FAQnetconfig.html.

2.After you get hook up your XBox to your network, Start a multiplayer game. If you can see the System Link option, then you probably got your XBox hooked up to your network properly.

3.Install the software on a PC that is on the same network as the XBox.

4.OK... Now here is the part that gets most people. XBconnect requires UDP port 8602 to be open both inbound and outbound. Inbound traffic from the internet must be routed directly to the PC running XBConnect. Usually this is done with your internet firewall (if any) or connection sharing software.

5.After you take care of this, then your ready to give it a try. Start XBConnect. You will be directed to fill in some basic information, like your internet nickname, etc. XBConnect will also start looking for your XBox.

6.Go to your XBox and load up your system link game. I'll use Halo as an example.

7.Start a System link game. Pick a profile, then go to the "looking for game" screen.

8.Look at the XBConnect software. It should say "My XBox status Found". You should only have to do this once unless you get a different XBox. If you see red text '...looking...' then there is something wrong. Make sure you are at the "Looking for game screen" and make sure you have the XBox hooked up properly on your network. Press the OK button.

9.Now you're ready to GO!

10.Click the join game button. You should see a list of games waiting for you!

Here is the link {info from Xbconnect.com's website}
http://www.xbconnect.com/faq.html

Carnage
05-03-2002, 04:20 PM
Ive tried online play a couple times now. but my cable just isnt fast enough. I find games with like 80-150 ping. but i laaagg soo bad. lol :(

Xtopia
05-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Do what techie said...I have a lynksys router...and you have to look in the manual. Find the section about "DMZ hosting" and follow the instructions
It is actually easy! After all, I did it!;)

heartsxcarved
05-03-2002, 05:19 PM
ok... upstairs is the router.. im getting my cable from that router via a Wireless Network USB adapter... does this change anything?

Snoopy7548
05-03-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
have XP

aww, come on max, i thought u were better than that! lol, i hate xp, ive never tried it, but i dont like the look of it.:D

heartsxcarved
05-03-2002, 05:59 PM
Ah well.. I know a great amount about computers, but i just cant figure this out.. Im calling linksys and telling them to help me.. Thanks guys!

Fixxer
05-03-2002, 06:43 PM
i hate xp, ive never tried it, but i dont like the look of it

Thats a pretty bad argument there. Don't write something off until you've at least had some experiance with it. You do know you can make it look like classic windows right??

Snoopy7548
05-03-2002, 06:44 PM
lol, u can? i didnt know that, can u do that with windows 2000? my friend has win2k, and he says its so awesome, he said that its much more stable than win98, hes gonna let me borrow it

squid413
05-03-2002, 06:47 PM
the linksys router site is 192.168.1.1 and then go to advanced then dmz host. hope this helps

heartsxcarved
05-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Thanks.. but that site says i need to type in my password and username.. Which one would that be?

squid413
05-05-2002, 12:43 AM
password is most likely admin and i'm not sure of the username:confused: