PDA

View Full Version : DVD....seems to be on peeps minds now

Kortiz
05-02-2002, 10:01 PM
i gots a question about the DVD for Xbox, is it worth buying hte kit to use the DVD player, i hear that on ps2 some DVDs dont work, is that the same on Xbox or can all dvds play on xbox?
sorry if this was posted already, just need a lil info if possible
im planning on buying the new s controller and was considering buying the dvd playback kit too

thanks fer yas time peeps

*BEATS MEC OVER THE BACK WITH A REINFORCED STEEL WIFFLE BAT*

*makes a retarted face* MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

techie
05-02-2002, 10:07 PM
The DVD playback on the Xbox has been compared to the
same quality playback on $300 DVD players. It just does
not have all the full features of a dedicated DVD player,
nor does it support progressive scan playback.

In short, it blows the PS2 DVD playback capabilities away!

Kortiz
05-02-2002, 10:10 PM
PS2 blown away? thats unheard of

hehe, ok i reckon ill pick it up then, thanks

are there going to be any ummm, like aftermarket controllers out for xbox ever?

Young_Fledgling
05-02-2002, 10:16 PM
the xbox dvd is just as good as any other, i think it is a good purchase, and about the controllers, i think there is some out already i am not for sure though i have 3 of the original xbox controllers.

techie
05-02-2002, 10:17 PM
there are a couple of different controllers out now, one is from madcatz, I can't remember who put's out the other one. the
one I'm looking forward to is the wireless controller that should be coming out soon from Madcatz.

Kortiz
05-02-2002, 10:21 PM
ack i meant DVD controllers hehe, my bad are there going to be any aftermarket dvd controllers, i have read up on a it a little bit and thought about how good it would be to have a button to turn off the XBOX after you are done........any info?

techie
05-02-2002, 10:37 PM
not that I've heard. I don't think the Xbox will support
the normal standby off/on mode that most home DVD players
support. it would be nice though wouldn't it?

Kortiz
05-02-2002, 10:41 PM
yeah it would be nice.....
fer the lazy folk

Vteck3000
05-02-2002, 11:05 PM
I think that the DVD playback kit is worth the money. I have it and i'm playing all my DVD's on my XBOX and had NOOOOOO problems at all. I recently got the trilogy of Star Wars on DVD for my birthday and they play very very well. So all Region 0 DVD's do play on the XBOX. I really doubt that they wouldn't play but just in case people would ask themselves that question.
I think you should get it. Very good investment. All the features you need from a normal DVD player and you get more. :cool:

DZNUTZ
05-02-2002, 11:18 PM
i got a ps2( which just collects dust)....and i personally perfer and still shelled out dough for the xbox dvd kit (it is well worth it, and much better)...never had any probs..and as a matter of fact....i'm watching Goodfellas on it right now while i type this.

LynxFX
05-03-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Vteck3000
I think that the DVD playback kit is worth the money. I have it and i'm playing all my DVD's on my XBOX and had NOOOOOO problems at all. I recently got the trilogy of Star Wars on DVD for my birthday and they play very very well. So all Region 0 DVD's do play on the XBOX. I really doubt that they wouldn't play but just in case people would ask themselves that question.
I think you should get it. Very good investment. All the features you need from a normal DVD player and you get more. :cool:

The Star Wars Trilogy isn't on DVD yet. What you got were bootlegs ripped from the Laser disc version.

Back on topic, it is worth the money for the DVD kit if you do not have a dvd player yet. If you have or plan on getting a digital tv or HDTV then a seperate stand alone player with progressive scan would be a must.

I compare it with sub $200 non-progressive scan stand alone dvd players.

It is true that some DVD's do not play on it but this is true of some stand alone players as well and it isn't the fault of the DVD player but of the studio not sticking to the proper DVD specs *cough* Disney *cough*.

MidniteArrow
05-03-2002, 02:07 AM
The DVD playback offered by the Xbox, according to what I've read, does not support progressive scan playback. Playback of DVDs happens at 480i not 480p. This is only an issue if you have a progressive scan television. As for the comparison to $300+ DVD players, this is incorrect in my opinion. I purchased a 5 disc progressive scan DVD player that supports CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3 CDs for $170 (over the counter at Tweeter). The Xbox will not do CD-R, MP3 CDs or progressive scan. Granted, it's not a Denon or an HK, but it gets the job done and the picture looks amazing on my HDTV.

GokuX
05-03-2002, 09:24 AM
The Xbox is my only DVD player and I've watched so many movies on it I've lost count. I'm still impressed by its quality, especially when connected to my TV via component. The remote is great and I can't see myself using a controller like the PS2. The kit is a great purchase in my mind.

Plewis
05-03-2002, 09:49 AM
when I watch dvds its on the xbox... even though I have 2 others. Lifes just crazy like that;) its great you should pick it up