PDA

View Full Version : Early thoughts on Morrowind from PC gamers...

yall
05-03-2002, 11:57 AM
I've been cruising PC game boards to see what peoples initial thoughts/first impressions are for Morrowind. I have noticed there are 2 reccuring themes in most of the posts.

Theme 1: The game is great. Granted this isn't even my opinion, but the opinions of people who have probably only spent 2-8 hours with the game. That being said, what they are saying about it, as far as the graphics, gameplay, sound, and overall immersion factors go, leads me to belive that the game may very well live up to its hype. (Run on sentence anyone?)

Theme 2: The game is hard to configure. What I mean by this is that on certain systems there are desktop crashes. The video mode has to be set a certain way, or some card may only support a certain resolution, yada yada yada. What does this mean to us as XBOX owners? Hopefully not very much. We all will be using the same version, getting the same frame rates, same view distance, fog volume, etc. Provided that the game itself isn't very buggy, and that these problems are related mostly to the vast differences and configurations of pc's, we can most likely look forward to a better overall gaming experience.

I hope this information proves to be accurate and useful to those interested. If anyone has heard similar OR contradictory information, please post it so that we can remain informed before commiting to a decsion to buy. See ya in the store on May 16th!

Woocifer
05-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Hey I tried to get opinions from others too...but my thread got kicked to the curb :(

I'm looking for info too :)

darianX
05-03-2002, 02:16 PM
What I mean by this is that on certain systems there are desktop crashes. The video mode has to be set a certain way, or some card may only support a certain resolution, yada yada yada.

I don't think we'll have to deal with that garbage...I KNOW we won't. PC games are notorious for that kind of stuff and it's also why I gave up pc games for my beloved Xbox. It just got tiring upgrading all the time and dealing with config issues.

Games on any console must run correctly because they can't release patches..well...the Xbox is capable of that, but I hope bug fixes don't become a regular item.... Console games prove that developers CAN release a proper game without patching it 57 times :cool:

yall
05-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Its my belief that MS won't allow a product to be liscened and sold bearing its logo and for its machine with the understanding that a patch will follow. Like I said, as long as the game itself isnt buggy, we will be fine.

l Maximus l
05-03-2002, 02:24 PM
Yall, this is an excellent idea for a thread! Though, it I would like to see more people quoted so we have a better idea...and, not just mentioning the obvious challenges with making sure their computer can handle it. I'd like to see what people think about the game itself. Can you quote a few dudes' opinions?

yall
05-03-2002, 03:36 PM
Wow. Praise from Caesar! Thanks for the props Max. As far as quotes go, I'm at work right now, so I cant really take the time to do that. But for you, I will paraphrase. There were several posters on www.gonegold.com that said things along the lines of 'unbelievable' and 'most detailed game ever'. Ya know typical snipets of praise. Also occasionally I will check www.ebworld.com for user ratings. As of earlier today there was only 1 post that was put up after the release date. In a nutshell, this poster had nothing but well worded accolades for the game.
I have seen maybe 1 or 2 negative posts but the way they were worded it seemed like they weren't really RPG fans and that they had also not played the game very much. Many of the posts were along the lines of 'cant post, busy playing', which I think is an excellent sign. I imagine if you go out on some different forums for pc games in the next couple of days, there will be more depth to the discussions as the game has only been released to the general public for a very short time now. Watch out for spoilers though!
I will personally be looking for typical 'red flags' that might indicate some major flaws within the game, that wont be platform specific. Some things like control issues may not occur on one platform, while they may exist on another. Things like camera angle problems, collision detection, and logic bugs, on the other hand, will likely carry over, regardless of the platform.
I think the bar has been set pretty high for this game. So high in fact that if it even comes close to meeting expectations, we may be looking at an instant classic. If it falls well below however, we might have let this hype make us into someone elses beeyatch, daikatana style!

l Maximus l
05-03-2002, 04:01 PM
hehe, yall...nice reply :D

Well, so far, it's sounding like Morrowind is getting some positive feedback from PC gamers. I guess the main reason why I am wondering about this game is that I am not a die-hard RPG guy...in fact, I can't think of a single true RPG game that I've played. I'm trying to discover if this is a genre of interest in regards to myself.

The problem is, Morrowind has so much hype surrounding it and it makes me weary about buying it since I've never really played a full-fledged RPG. The positive things that I have heard about include: a great story, amazing visuals, Halo-type controls, and the option for first-person gameplay. All of those sound really appealing, however, I think I'm going to wait a couple days before I buy it because I want to get the trustworthy feedback of my XBA comrades :)

Woocifer
05-03-2002, 04:02 PM
Okay I just got it for my PC and I'm taking it back RIGHT away... thing with this game? It looks like its going to rock. I was impressed by the first 5 minutes of how it looks, but the graphical tweaks just aren't there with my card.

The card can't handle the effects and its a GTS2 32 meg card...so I'm takin it back, I'm gettin the Xbox version for sure though cuz this game already seemed pretty cool.

DZNUTZ
05-03-2002, 07:25 PM
if its any use..i read a user review earlier (their was only one at the time) and he gave the game a 10!! he gave it 10 in every dept besides sound..which he gave a 9.

FuNkY mOnK
05-03-2002, 07:36 PM
This game is not a game that can be judged in the first few hours, this game is like starting in grammar school working your way right out of collage into the world with the time you spent learning it. For the people who invest will truly be the masters of this realm.

Toast
05-03-2002, 07:44 PM
thanks for the info. i have been looking at small reviews on sites, and most people who dont have crashes say it is wonderful. I can't wait for it to come out!