PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo to unveil GameCube online(NOOO!)

faceoff508
05-05-2002, 08:06 PM
NINTENDO WILL ANNOUNCE details of its online strategy for the GameCube at a press conference scheduled for May 21 at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, said the source, who is knowledgeable of Nintendo’s plans but asked not to be named. Representatives for Nintendo said they could not confirm the report.
By adding an online capacity to its $199 GameCube, Nintendo would be keeping pace with its major competitors in the market for game hardware — Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp., both of which charge $299 for their consoles.
Nintendo would also be placed to dominate the online gaming for its core market of children between 6 and 14 years of age.
Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox has a built-in Ethernet port for high-speed online access, and Sony Corp. will release an adapter for both Ethernet and dial-up access for its PlayStation 2 in August. Both of those consoles are more popular with the teenage and young-adults than Nintendo.
Nintendo has been noncommittal on the subject of online gaming, although it has made it clear that it would be possible to add a modem or a broadband adapter to the GameCube through any of three unused ports on the bottom of the device.

ONLINE SLOW TO TAKE OFF
Despite high hopes in the late-1990s, online console gaming has not yet taken off in the United States. The most notable attempt, the SegaNet service for Sega Corp.’s now discontinued Dreamcast, was hampered by slow connections and waning consumer enthusiasm when it launched in 1999. “I’m pessimistic anyone will ever develop a business model where there is direct pay-for-play,” said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities, who follows the U.S. game industry. “It’s probably something that would make me not want to invest in Nintendo, were I a Nintendo investor.”
Industry observers have said a major theme of the E3 show this year will be online gaming and the early versions of games for that still-developing market.
Sony has said it will establish a fund to assist publishers with the development of online games, and Microsoft has long touted functions like live updates of games that the Xbox’s online access will make possible.
Among the online games scheduled to be shown at the show are Sony’s “EverQuest Online Adventures” for PS2 and Sega’s “Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II” for GameCube, which will launch as a stand-alone game.
“EverQuest Online Adventures” is being developed by Sony Online Entertainment, a separate division from Sony Computer Entertainment of America, which is the unit responsible for the PS2 in the U.S.
“EverQuest,” a version of the popular online PC game, is expected sometime early next year.

XBOX Dude
05-05-2002, 08:14 PM
i'm not worried think about it they get a modem they'll probably get a hd to and that's gonna jack the price and their target audience isn't really that good of an audience for online play

Kooster
05-05-2002, 09:00 PM
I don't really think GC will be much competition for the Xbox. The online plans should be almost like PS2's, ADDONS. You never know what could happen. Ive heard so many ppl say that they would buy GC for Resident Evil, which I think is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard. Why buy an entire console for one game? None of GC's games interest me. They all look like they are for kids 14 and under. Except for RE, of course. All GC has to offer that other consoles dont are the famous characters like Mario, Luigi, and Donkey Kong. Like I said, I dont like those games any more. Also, isnt gamecube getting FFXI? PS2 needs a hard drive to play it, so shouldnt gamecube?

faceoff508
05-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by hotshot657
I don't really think GC will be much competition for the Xbox. The online plans should be almost like PS2's, ADDONS. You never know what could happen. Ive heard so many ppl say that they would buy GC for Resident Evil, which I think is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard. Why buy an entire console for one game? None of GC's games interest me. They all look like they are for kids 14 and under. Except for RE, of course. All GC has to offer that other consoles dont are the famous characters like Mario, Luigi, and Donkey Kong. Like I said, I dont like those games any more. Also, isnt gamecube getting FFXI? PS2 needs a hard drive to play it, so shouldnt gamecube?

The only decent game on the gamecube is Resident Evil, which is an awsome game!!!!!!

Xbox Owner
05-05-2002, 09:05 PM
eh, that kinda sucks, oh well...this should go in the xbox vs. gamecube forum tho...i don't care about it tho..so it's all cool:cool:

silvertrace
05-05-2002, 10:22 PM
what kinda games are nintendo planning to make online ready........super smash bros. or a fps like 007.......any way u look at it they can't compete with the titles that xbox has lined up........in the end nintendo will realize that online gaming is geared more toward the adult gamer...............but they will prolly learn that the hard way............:(

*silvertrace waits in anticipation for UC, ghost recon, halo2.................... :cool:

smack119
05-06-2002, 01:58 AM
exactly how many 6 year olds are going to be playing games online?? im guessing not many

Marc
05-06-2002, 02:17 AM
Gee, maybe Mario sunshine will be available for online play! The object of the game will be for Mario to plug Luigi up the ass, causing him to squeal like a pig...

smack119
05-06-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Marc
Gee, maybe Mario sunshine will be available for online play! The object of the game will be for Mario to plug Luigi up the ass, causing him to squeal like a pig...

that doesnt seem geared towards 6 year olds :)

Marc
05-06-2002, 02:25 AM
They're trying to "tap" new markets...

Stiffy
05-06-2002, 10:24 AM
Well, even though I don't own a Gamecube (yet), I hope all three systems have an EXCELLENT online strategy. I really want online to be the next "thing" for consoles, and the more consoles have online plans, the greater the market will grow.

Kooster
05-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Gerard

Yeah right, that like saying halo is the only decent game on the xbox because it was the most talked about. :rolleyes: None of these interest me at all:

1. Super Mario Sunshine
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Metroid Prime
4. Star Fox Adventures
5. Resident Evil
6. Eternal Darkness
7. Mario Kart
8. Mario Golf
9. Mario Tennis
10. Wrestlemania X8

They are either too young for me or have better opponents on Xbox. Anyway, this thread is about online gaming.

l Maximus l
05-06-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Stiffy
Well, even though I don't own a Gamecube (yet), I hope all three systems have an EXCELLENT online strategy. I really want online to be the next "thing" for consoles, and the more consoles have online plans, the greater the market will grow.

Man, I couldn't agree more! I hope all three of the competing systems go head to head with on-line gaming! This will make on-line gaming more competitive, which in the end, benefits us, the consumers :)

The problem that PS2 and the Gamecube will have is that many gamers will not be too thrilled about paying for addons. I mean, the rumor is, it will take $130 for a PS2 gamer to have the necessary addon equipment just to have the capability to go on-line. That price tag certainly wouldn't entice me, espcially considering that PS2 consumers will have to also pay for high speed internet access on a month to month basis...and, it's quite possible that Sony may even have their own service fee. It's going to be challenging, however, I do wish them successes as it will also benefit us XBox owners because Microsoft may, eventually, make it free!

Also, what's really cool about the XBox and will be the biggest hit over everything else is the XBox Communicator! That is going to be so huge!!! I wonder if Sony or Nintendo have plans for something like that. Personally, I think it would actually scare some little kids that might own Gamecube to hear and talk to someone over broadband! lol :D

Stiffy
05-06-2002, 12:10 PM
You nailed it on the head Maximus. Concerning Sony's plans, I think those guys need to take a lesson from Microsoft when thinking about this whole deal. Here's my comment after a quote from an article that featured Andrew House, one of Sony's execs. talking about why he thinks people will buy their online peripherals:

"Sony plans to market a modem/broadband peripheral for $39.99 and a hard drive (price unannounced) separately. When I suggest that no peripheral has ever had more than 10 percent penetration among consumers, House first points out that both memory cards and controllers have had nearly 100 percent penetration, then addresses the subject of modem penetration."

Man, I hate it when these marketing clowns try to make it seems as if they understand videogamers. The reason why controllers and memory cards, i.e. peripherals sell well is because they are a necessary peripheral. Everyone knows how sucky it would be if you were jamming through MGS 2 and were unable to save your game because of no memory card. And everyone knows that people sometimes play videogames in groups, hence the NEED for extra controllers. That's why videogame companies don't bundle these types of peripherals with systems...because they know they can make more if they make them a separate item. I wonder if he's looked at how many memory cards MS has sold....I'm betting the number is really low for obvious reasons. The fact is, people don't NEED online to enjoy their games. If you have the money for it, it's a great additive, just like having a high definition TV and surround sound. But people don't need it. MS knew this, which is why they bundled it up together. It's a shame see that arrogance is still part of this industry's job requirements.

l Maximus l
05-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Stiffy
You nailed it on the head Maximus. Concerning Sony's plans, I think those guys need to take a lesson from Microsoft when thinking about this whole deal. Here's my comment after a quote from an article that featured Andrew House, one of Sony's execs. talking about why he thinks people will buy their online peripherals:

"Sony plans to market a modem/broadband peripheral for $39.99 and a hard drive (price unannounced) separately. When I suggest that no peripheral has ever had more than 10 percent penetration among consumers, House first points out that both memory cards and controllers have had nearly 100 percent penetration, then addresses the subject of modem penetration."

Man, I hate it when these marketing clowns try to make it seems as if they understand videogamers. The reason why controllers and memory cards, i.e. peripherals sell well is because they are a necessary peripheral. Everyone knows how sucky it would be if you were jamming through MGS 2 and were unable to save your game because of no memory card. And everyone knows that people sometimes play videogames in groups, hence the NEED for extra controllers. That's why videogame companies don't bundle these types of peripherals with systems...because they know they can make more if they make them a separate item. I wonder if he's looked at how many memory cards MS has sold....I'm betting the number is really low for obvious reasons. The fact is, people don't NEED online to enjoy their games. If you have the money for it, it's a great additive, just like having a high definition TV and surround sound. But people don't need it. MS knew this, which is why they bundled it up together. It's a shame see that arrogance is still part of this industry's job requirements.

hehe...my jaw just dropped after I read that quote! Of course, you hit a homerun with your response! I mean, who in their right mind would want to play a game that they couldn't save and come back to it? hehe...the marketing dude is completely out of touch with video gamers. All I see is a bunch of wishing and hoping from the marketer's point of view! :D

Though, I sincerily wish them great success in their venture. Let's just hope they make it enticing enough so that Microsoft will react in a competitive manner and make XBox Live a free service :D Whether it's free or not, I will definately get XBox Live, though!!!