PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind first Impressions

datalink7
05-05-2002, 10:48 PM
Hi all,

I am a pretty big forum goer at a big PC forum, anandtech. There is a thread there on "morrowind first impressions" by people who have picked up the game for thier PC. Thought it might interest some of you here to see how the game is (since it should be essentially the same on both XBox and PC). Some people have written quite a bit.

Here is the thread (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=33&threadid=778491)

Azazel
05-05-2002, 11:00 PM
It doesnt work. You have to be a member. I personally would prefer not to have to sign up just to read reviews. My brother has Morrowwind and he says it it awesome! Check out reviews below. Pretty much everyone says this game is fantastic.

http://www.pcgamereview.com/reviews/roleplaying/product_1538.asp

datalink7
05-05-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by ty818
It doesnt work. You have to be a member. I personally would prefer not to have to sign up just to read reviews. My brother has Morrowwind and he says it it awesome! Check out reviews below. Pretty much everyone says this game is fantastic.

http://www.pcgamereview.com/reviews/roleplaying/product_1538.asp

OOPS! I forgot to fix the link for nonsubscribers (I am a subscriber because I frequent the place so often, but it is also offered in a free version).

Should work now. Sorry about that.

Woocifer
05-06-2002, 08:00 AM
I have the PC version, but plan on getting the xbox version because the PC version doesn't run on my p3 866 512meg RAM GeForce GTS2 Pro all that smoothly. I think the reason is because of the graphics card more or less. When I'm in the interiors it runs all right, outside...runs like garbage.

Anyway First Impression RIGHT HERE so you don't have to go clicking all over the place.

The controls, well they will be different for Xbox but anyway, the controls are pretty simplistic and pretty damn easy to use. They are general, forward, run, sneak, side step, swing, ready weapon, ready magic, cast magic and rest. The other commands like Journal, next weapon, etc. are pretty basic, hit this key for that, no biggy.

The movement in the game is somewhat slow, not the FPS, the movement. When you walk, you walk slow. And even slower when you are burdened with a lot of things...and believe me you will be because just about everything in this game is pickupable(not even a word, way to go Morrowind).

When fighting, I'm still not sure how to block strikes and such, I think it does it as a percentage calculated. Sometimes you will raise your shield, other times you won't. Holding the swing button causes you to swing harder and the direction you push causes you to swing different ways, side to side, thrust or chop.

I'm still not sure what everything on the stats screen means but you get to choose a number of different things that help your attributes as everyone is keeping silent. It's not AMAZING, but it is kinda cool how you do it.

The one thing I can say about this game is GET READY TO BE READING!!! holy crap there is a lot of text in this game...how do they expect us to retain it all? All these funky names, all these funky places? It can be a bit daunting at first but you get the hang of it and your journal keeps notables at your finger tips.

With my poor little GTS2 Pro trying its best, I have seen a lot of cool effects, and missed out on a lot too... the water is sad with this card. The weather is just too cool though. I was up in the mountains after running through this mine fighting all the baddies, and when I came out battered to go back to town, I found myself crossing a suspension bridge in the middle of a very violent dust storm.

The interaction between people, as I said, is all text based and you click on names and such to get more info. Sucks sometimes because you have so much goin on you forget what you have to talk to the person about.

If you steal or take something from someone, everyone in the building FREAKS and attacks you. You have to run back to the guards, or risk being an outlaw. You get to choose whether you pay a fine or go to jail.

Outside of the towns the terrain is never ending, you CAN swim thank god, the weather and skies change, and let me tell you these are some of the most REALISTIC skies I've ever seen. Clouds actually roll by all the time. The sun will bleed the screen if you stare at it...its awesome. It's also a great feeling to be walking and you can see something in the distance, when you get to it it makes you feel 2 feet tall.

There are things here and there you have to do that are somewhat too far for walk. You can take the giant bug from place to place if you feel like it, or if it doesnt go there...get ready to HIKE. Wish you had a horse or something it can get pretty tedious.

I'm losing track of the initial quest because its just so open and takes a while to do each task...or to even get to a task, and then when there sometimes you have to search HUGE cities for one person with minimal direction. It can be daunting. But when you finish something, it is pretty cool.

You encounter all sorts of people, in all sorts of situations, and even walk into situations with things in the wild you are unsure about...whether they attack or not.

I have to go to work, if there are any other questions I can answer them... I'm basically 12 hours into the game and I've done maybe 5 tasks to further this one quest and have only been to 3 towns, part of 3 guilds, looking to join the imperial guard, looking for this guy for a woman who lost her mugger/lover...you'll see...there are a tonne of things to do in this game.

Anyway Im gunna get the xbox version for the effects of 5.1 and graphic tweaks so I dont have to do them...yes I'm lazy :P

Ask away!

Later