PDA

View Full Version : Surround Sound Question

Hermes
05-06-2002, 09:02 AM
I just got a surround system and I have a question. The Rca plugs on the stard A/V cable that comes with the Xbox don't seem to support 5.1 Surround. Do I need the advanced A/V pack and an optical cable? Is the monster Xbox cable any good? I appreciate any help on this. I'm just trying to get it working for Morrowind. (I'm itching to play Sys. Link Halo too in 5.1 surround)

JJaX
05-06-2002, 10:31 AM
Im not sure if this will answer your question but here it goes.

i have the 'advanced A/V pack (S-Video)' And the wires feed into my tv, then my outs go into my reciever.

Then i set the xbox to 5.1 in the dashboard.

And 5.1 works like a charm.

JJaX
05-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Hermes
(I'm itching to play Sys. Link Halo too in 5.1 surround)

careful, People in other rooms will know when you pick up a overshield or get in a vehicle ;)

LynxFX
05-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Yes you will need either the Advanced A/V pack (S-video and composite) or the HD A/V pack (component) to get DD 5.1.

It sounds like you do not have an HDTV so get the Advanced A/V pack and then purchase an optical cable. You can get one from Target for $12. Hook that up to your receiver and then in the Dashboard you will need to change your audio settings. That's it.

Don't waste your time or money with Monster cables. You will see no difference with your setup (especially the sound) unless you have a super high end setup and you are an anal videophile. Then the difference is debatable anyway. Have fun.

l Maximus l
05-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Yes you will need either the Advanced A/V pack (S-video and composite) or the HD A/V pack (component) to get DD 5.1.

It sounds like you do not have an HDTV so get the Advanced A/V pack and then purchase an optical cable. You can get one from Target for $12. Hook that up to your receiver and then in the Dashboard you will need to change your audio settings. That's it.

Don't waste your time or money with Monster cables. You will see no difference with your setup (especially the sound) unless you have a super high end setup and you are an anal videophile. Then the difference is debatable anyway. Have fun.

Exactly! But, I bought the Monster 400 series component video cables for XBox only because I got a really good deal on them. Basically, I got them for half price because they were on sale and because someone opened the packaging and they knocked of a healthy percentage off of the retail price :D They are nice cables and they also include an Optical input as well :)

LynxFX
05-06-2002, 12:54 PM
You are the rare exception Max. :)

Don't forget though that the Advanced A/V pack and HD A/V pack give you the optical connection as well but don't require you to purchase the Monster brand optical cable.

Either way get yourself one of these packs ASAP!!

Hermes
05-06-2002, 01:08 PM
Cool. I appreciate the help, everyone. I called MS customer support and they told me basically the same thing. (Minus the feedback,suggestions,tips,etc.) It might have seemed like a stupid question but it was never made clear in either the xbox or the receiver documentation that the optical input and output were necassary for the 5.1. I figured maybe it had to be the connection when the Xbox said it was outputting surround and my receiver said it was expecting a digital signal but there was only dead silence.

l Maximus l
05-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
You are the rare exception Max. :)

Don't forget though that the Advanced A/V pack and HD A/V pack give you the optical connection as well but don't require you to purchase the Monster brand optical cable.

Either way get yourself one of these packs ASAP!!

You mean I can't just purchase a regular optical cable and I am forced to only buy the Monster optical cable? If that's the case, that's kinda crappy. Oh well....I guess I'll just take that in the shorts :( But, atleast it's green :D hehe (I'm always trying to focus on the postive...it keeps me sane :D)

l Maximus l
05-06-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Hermes
Cool. I appreciate the help, everyone. I called MS customer support and they told me basically the same thing. (Minus the feedback,suggestions,tips,etc.) It might have seemed like a stupid question but it was never made clear in either the xbox or the receiver documentation that the optical input and output were necassary for the 5.1. I figured maybe it had to be the connection when the Xbox said it was outputting surround and my receiver said it was expecting a digital signal but there was only dead silence.

Hermes...well, technically, the optical cable is not required, however, it is much higher quality, so, if I were you, I would definately buy an optical cable! :)

LynxFX
05-06-2002, 03:47 PM
Yeah max, that is one reason why I dispise the Monster cables for the Xbox more than just in general. They use a proprietary connection for the optical cable so you must buy theirs which I believe runs in the $30 range. :eek: But yes it is green. :P

Hermes, For the Xbox you DO need an optical cable connection to get DD 5.1. There is no other way besides converters to digital coax but then we are really getting complicated and you still would need an optical cable reguardless.