PDA

View Full Version : XBOX and PS2 might slash prices to $200.00 , as earlier as this month?!?

DZNUTZ
05-06-2002, 04:31 PM
XBOX and ps2 might slash their prices to $200.00!!!!???? this month?!?!? while i think that would be great and sell more xbox's...do u think MS will give us N. american gamers some free games like they did for european consumers??? what do ya'll think of this? and if u want to know where i got this info...try the XBA homepage.

Pakkratt
05-06-2002, 04:48 PM
It would be tight if they did. I don't see it happening though.

faceoff508
05-06-2002, 04:49 PM
That would be awsome!!!!!!!!

l Maximus l
05-06-2002, 04:51 PM
Well, it wouldn't surprise me at all if both Sony and Microsoft cut the prices for both of their consoles as early as E3, which is this month (by the way, I found out yesterday that I AM NOT going :( )

But, anyway, as for getting some games, I wouldn't hold my breath. The way I see it is that we had the priviledge in owning the XBox for 6 1/2 months now....Anyone that is finally getting it now aren't nearly as hardcore as us addicts! :D

Fixxer
05-06-2002, 04:51 PM
I hope not... Damn! I just bought mine a month ago

smack119
05-06-2002, 05:05 PM
hey does that mean that if i have a 2 year warranty i could break it and go return it for my money back, then buy one for $200?? that would be pretty funny to do.

media play told me that the warranty will give me a new xbox or cash to buy a different system. the way i see it is i could get 2 games this way :)

Pakkratt
05-06-2002, 05:07 PM
That would be pretty cool if you did that.

DZNUTZ
05-06-2002, 05:08 PM
i don't think they would honor the warranty if u took a hammer to it or something ovious....i'd suggest calling them and asking what their policy would be on this.

l Maximus l
05-06-2002, 05:11 PM
It would be sweet if Microsoft gave the first 6 months of XBox Live free in return as a *thank you* for supporting the console from day 1 :)

Crazy Joe
05-06-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
But, anyway, as for getting some games, I wouldn't hold my breath. The way I see it is that we had the priviledge in owning the XBox for 6 1/2 months now....Anyone that is finally getting it now aren't nearly as hardcore as us addicts! :D

i'm with max, the europeans only had theirs for what, a month and a half? we might get something, but don't expect the same as the european gamers got

DZNUTZ
05-06-2002, 05:15 PM
i agree max..that would be sweet...or like a book of 10 dollars off coupons for MS games....that way they would insure further sales while still cutting us a break and hooking us up... it would be nice if they did something...but either which way i won't cry about. (although, and u heard it here first, i bet theirs gonna bealot of ..whinninng, complaing & bizznitching ash threads if it happens)

monkeyman
05-06-2002, 05:32 PM
LOS ANGELES--Price cuts for two video game consoles, the Xbox and the PlayStation 2, are likely to kick in as soon as this month, due to slowing retail sales ahead of the summer months, an analyst said on Monday.
In a research note, Gerard Klauer Mattison analyst Edward Williams said he believes price cuts will be announced at the industry's annual Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) because a drop in sales has retailers worried ahead of the summer, usually the industry's weakest season.

Williams said he believes Microsoft, fighting to gain a share in the competitive game machine market, will kick off the cuts, bringing the Xbox down to $199 from $299 at a news conference scheduled for May 20.

Sony, the market leader, will likely follow, also cutting the PS2 price to $199 from $299, he said.

The PS2 was launched in November 2000. The Xbox came out in November 2001.

"Given a need to increase its installed base and a lack of exclusive key titles to help do so, we expect Microsoft could use this opportunity to pre-empt Sony and take a leadership position in dropping the price of Xbox," he said.

The Xbox, after selling nearly 1.5 million units in the last six weeks of 2001, sold between 300,000 and 400,000 units in the first quarter of this year, according to various analysts' estimates, and a consensus has developed in recent weeks that the price of the Xbox will be cut this year.

Rumors have repeatedly cropped up since last summer that a PS2 price cut was imminent, and analysts are still generally divided as to whether Sony might cut the price at E3, or in September, at the start of the strong fall and winter season.

"However, the recent slowdown in hardware unit momentum, coupled with the competitive threat of Xbox at a lower price, makes a price cut on the PS2 more likely, in our view," Williams said.

Even so, a price cut was not entirely necessary for Sony, he said.

"Given this enormous market share--and apparent demand for the product--the company does not necessarily need to cut the price of the hardware, especially when you consider that the company has experienced weakness in some of its other businesses--making the profit derived from PlayStation that much more important," he said.

Williams also said he expects the price of Sony's older PlayStation One console to be cut to $79 from $99.

As for Nintendo GameCube, which came out three days after the Xbox at a price of $199, Williams said a price cut at E3 was unlikely, though a cut to $149 is possible this fall as Nintendo releases a number of anticipated game titles.

link (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-899815.html)

this a good thing or bad???

:confused:

chili325
05-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by smack119
hey does that mean that if i have a 2 year warranty i could break it and go return it for my money back, then buy one for $200?? that would be pretty funny to do.

media play told me that the warranty will give me a new xbox or cash to buy a different system. the way i see it is i could get 2 games this way :)

With my luck i would do this and find out that my warranty had just ended. How bout u try first and c what happens

MixMasta
05-06-2002, 05:37 PM
i hope do something like u guys are saying, like the xbox live for free first few months or a coupon book, but i wouldnt break mine and then buy a new one for 200 because i wouldnt want affect the xbox sales. could u imagine if everyone did that the press would say that m$ is making cheap consoles that break!

monkeyman
05-06-2002, 06:13 PM
sept 1 thing at first gc fanboys said that xbox cost to much and stuff but now they will probably say they lowered it because xbox sucks which it doesnt!!!!!!!!

WOO XBOX!!!!!!

ryan123
05-06-2002, 06:20 PM
I didn't get my xbox till Feburary so I wish that we would get something for free if they do cut the price, but if we don't oh well. If back in February I would have known that the price would go down $100 in May I would have still gotten it in Feburary because I wouldn't have been able to wait the 3 months.

mrmp3
05-06-2002, 06:26 PM
Well I don't have my reciept :( . None the less a couple months of Xbox Live free or the Xbox Communicator/(any Xbox Live title) combination would also be welcomed. PS2 will defintely drop, but if Xbox doesn't, Microsoft will reward the fans with somethin. Maybe a Halo 1.5? I wish. They said it is possible to have a downloadble thing to make a Halo add-on but not something like the DOA3 booster pak. I wonder why that is. Signing off...

monkeyman
05-06-2002, 06:52 PM
so if we go to the place where we got our xbox and show em our receipt then you can get a 100 rebait or whatever?

monkeyman
05-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by monkeyman
so if we go to the place where we got our xbox and show em our receipt then you can get a 100 rebait or whatever?

ok yeah i think im confused:confused:

smack119
05-06-2002, 06:58 PM
i doubt a store will give you a rebate on something you bought 6 months ago. my idea was only because i have a 2 year plan that includes getting my money back if my xbox breaks and i decide to buy a different console. so if i broke it and got the money back... then just bought another xbox, i would get $100 back

Kooster
05-06-2002, 07:19 PM
Im kinda disappointed. I think the free months of Xbox live are nice.

Snoopy7548
05-06-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by monkeyman

ok yeah i think im confused:confused:

lol, u confused yourself?

No Fear 23
05-06-2002, 08:17 PM
microsoft cutting the price of the xbox dosent mean that they r doing bad, they jsut want to match their competiter's price and beat them. that way, they can sell more xboxes

Highlite23
05-06-2002, 09:54 PM
I would be happy with anything MS would through the original purchasers.

Am i bitter...Nope, this cut really forces the other consoles to react. Which plays into XBOX's hand.

At $200 there is really no debate of which system will give more bang for it's buck. Not to mention the hardware base will grow drastically, rolling into developers...more games...all is good.

I'll say it again, come the holiday season the xbox will be the system to own!!;)

FuNkY mOnK
05-07-2002, 07:52 AM
As long as xbox stays in the game I don’t care what MS does. Because this is the system I love and will support till the end. Imagine for one moment, that xbox drops out like sega and all we have is game cube and ps2 to feed our hunger for what xbox only promised. I say drop the price always lower than Sony until we get that ridiculous installed base.

Hugh_Jass
05-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
It would be sweet if Microsoft gave the first 6 months of XBox Live free in return as a *thank you* for supporting the console from day 1 :)

That's a great idea! It would appease XBOX owners and serve as a fantastic promotional opportunity for MS.

Huckleberry
05-07-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by irule23
microsoft cutting the price of the xbox dosent mean that they r doing bad, they jsut want to match their competiter's price and beat them. that way, they can sell more xboxes

true, except for one thing. microsoft didn't respond to their competitor's price cuts...microsoft initiated it.

Nerrad529
05-09-2002, 01:42 AM
They won't you think there gonna lose money, I doubt it. A couple free games would be nice though. That's never gonna happen either. So I'am not even gonna get my hopes up. Late

sinizuh
05-09-2002, 02:35 AM
NO PS2 PRICE DROP AT E3!

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/358/358880p1.html

FuNkY mOnK
05-09-2002, 05:08 AM
Now if I were Bill Gates and had his kind of money I would drop the price of xbox to 50.00 with a bundle package of course paying regular price for the games and a three-year contract to my online service that’s one way of getting it out to the masses.