PDA

View Full Version : Gameshark for XBox

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 01:33 PM
Now, let me get this clear, I have no knowledge of Gameshark for the XBox and I have no desire to get one if one should be created for it.

But, wouldn't it be crappy if one did? Imagine all of the cheaters while playing on-line when XBox Live launches!

But, one thing is cool about XBox Live is that you can play against your friends that don't cheat. I just had this thought and wanted to share. What are your thoughts?

Kraft
05-07-2002, 01:50 PM
I'd tell you my thoughts, but it might freak you out a little bit... so I will just talk about the XBox Live thing instead.

I figure if gameshark tries to release something that will adversely affect online gameplay, MS will probably swing their giant legal club and claim losses, get an injunction passed, and force gameshark to modify their software so it is only useable to non-online games. Either that or they could be super slick and have their servers recognize modified game algorithms and block those people using the shark from playing.

Im sure there will be a problem with online cheating, as there always is with every game. Anyone remember all the duping and crap going on with PSO on the dreamcast? ticked a lot of people off. But they figured a way to combat it, and fixed it for a while. Online play is a constant battle just because it is online and available to everyone, no matter what their intentions. Either way, Microsoft is a very able company so there is no worries from my corner of the forum.

Snoopy7548
05-07-2002, 02:06 PM
yea, its sooooo annoying when people cheat online. god, it just makes me so mad, like in counter-strike. i hate the people who cheat, if therye so worried about doing bad, then they should just join a newb server or something.

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 02:10 PM
Exactly, gentlemen...

KraftSLU...You made an amazing point with Phantasy Star On-line...many Dreamcast people were p!ssed off because of on-line cheaters. Hopefully, Gameshark won't be compatible with XBox Live or on-line games like you mentioned.

But, even if it was, the cool thing about XBox Live is that there will be a community and you can play your friends and XBA comrades and stuff. :D

Kraft
05-07-2002, 02:20 PM
*taps the side of his head* I'm sharp like tack... (big daddy reference, sorry)

Im praying that they set it up like blizzard set up b.net. As far as I'm concerned, unless anyone can show me different, b.net is the ultimate in online gaming communities. I've made lots of friends on there, have a certain room I visit to check and see if anyone I know is on, and play games with them. Though Im still kinda leery about this whole voice communication thing... It seems that if you get a squad based game or something of that nature, you are going to have a lot of people talking all at once and you will be sitting there going "huh? what did they just say?". I really really really really really really would like to see a keyboard evolve...

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
*taps the side of his head* I'm sharp like tack... (big daddy reference, sorry)

Im praying that they set it up like blizzard set up b.net. As far as I'm concerned, unless anyone can show me different, b.net is the ultimate in online gaming communities. I've made lots of friends on there, have a certain room I visit to check and see if anyone I know is on, and play games with them. Though Im still kinda leery about this whole voice communication thing... It seems that if you get a squad based game or something of that nature, you are going to have a lot of people talking all at once and you will be sitting there going "huh? what did they just say?". I really really really really really really would like to see a keyboard evolve...

Well, the good thing with the XBox Communicator is that you will be able to have full control of it. In other words, you can mute certain people and so on. Quite frankly, I can only see the XBoxcommunicator being the most valuable, strategically, if you are playing a game like Team Deathmatch on Unreal Championship or CTF or something. An FFA (Free for all) would be kind of annoying...but, we'll see :D

DZNUTZ
05-07-2002, 02:42 PM
cheaters suck, ms will do a goo job of preventing or severely limiting them, the voice communicator will rock and be one of the key factors in making xbox the best online gaming service eva...and i cant wait to beat all ya'll's ashes online , talk smack (and finally get to talk to some of ya'll and get a better idea of who yall' r) then come to the xba online forum (i'm positive they'll make one for xbox live) and tell the rest of the xba members how i smeared you ash all over the place the previous night.

:D

terrapin
05-07-2002, 02:54 PM
I also hope that gamesharks will not be compatible with online-gaming.

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Imagine playing Unreal Championship. Apparently, in this game, to gain the better weapons depends on how long you play the game and stuff. But, with Gameshark, it's possible that even the newest newbie will have their arsenal equiped and blow everyone out of the water! That would be extremely irritating.

But, like I said before, it's great that XBox Live is going to feature a sweet forum so we can play against our non-cheating XBA comrades and stuff!

Also, DZNUTZ made an exciting point! It'll be great to meet a lot of you via voice and talk trash or to pump eachother up with the XBox Communicator! It's going to be sweeeeeet!! :D

Fixxer
05-07-2002, 05:58 PM
I hope you can turn that communicator stuff off. I don't wanna listen to a bunch of dumbasses. If you've played Counter Strike you know what I mean.

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Fixxer
I hope you can turn that communicator stuff off. I don't wanna listen to a bunch of dumbasses. If you've played Counter Strike you know what I mean.

Yep, the XBox Communicator will allow you to mute people. I also plan on doing that a lot :D

Laxeph
05-07-2002, 06:00 PM
I'm gonna give gameshark a spoon... so it can eat my @$$.

Hugh_Jass
05-07-2002, 09:29 PM
I would probably buy a gameshark to unlock things like free roam in Wreckless.

cookiecaper
05-07-2002, 09:39 PM
Interact's GameShark allows cheating by striking the game's hexadecimal code, allowing to change mostly quantities. Since GameShark hits that, Interact could put in a lock so the GameShark kills itself as soon as it detects network code. Interact could exclude their features included with GameShark Pro, which allow you to hack your own codes, thus destroying online cheating (there wouldn't be any online cheats to input). It's really not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Kraft
05-07-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by cookiecaper
Interact's GameShark allows cheating by striking the game's hexadecimal code, allowing to change mostly quantities. Since GameShark hits that, Interact could put in a lock so the GameShark kills itself as soon as it detects network code. Interact could exclude their features included with GameShark Pro, which allow you to hack your own codes, thus destroying online cheating (there wouldn't be any online cheats to input). It's really not as bad as you're making it out to be.

actually cookie, it has the possibility to be a lot worse than you think it could be. You've got to remember, the xbox doesn't have a unique OS like the PS2 or GC. It runs on a windows2000 kernel and uses standard microsoft windows components (direct3d, sound, etc). Which means that it would be a lot easier for some very motivated person to write their own program, burn it to a cd and then exploit online play in the form of cheating. And yeah, MS could fix it in a hurry... but in the time it takes them to fix it, someone has made yet another program.

ryan123
05-08-2002, 12:45 AM
I agree when someone cheats its not fun to play with them. As of now I don't have broadband where I live but we are moving this summer so hopefully they will have it there because this online thing sounds like so much fun. I don't have any friends with an xbox and most of my friends don't like to sit around playing video games as much as I do so this will be cool to get to play against other people. This communicator thing sounds very cool also.
It will be kind of wierd though because my parents don't know much about technology and I will be in my room playing a game talking into the communicator thing but they won't know I'm talking to another person so they will think I'm crazy or something.

X-Ray
05-22-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Now, let me get this clear, I have no knowledge of Gameshark for the XBox and I have no desire to get one if one should be created for it.

But, wouldn't it be crappy if one did? Imagine all of the cheaters while playing on-line when XBox Live launches!

But, one thing is cool about XBox Live is that you can play against your friends that don't cheat. I just had this thought and wanted to share. What are your thoughts?

In the E3 press release video, the guy talked about encryption and other methods to keep cheaters out. In addition to looking for modified packets etc. what else can MS do to stop cheaters? From what we know are they on the right track?

JimmieDoogan
05-23-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
the voice communicator will rock and be one of the key factors in making xbox the best online gaming service eva...and i cant wait to beat all ya'll's ashes online
:D

I'm gonna do all my best celeberty impressions for yall. If we get sum good ONLINE WWE games I am gonna bust out sum HILARITY BEYOND HILARITY. Smack talkin is my favorite part of the Xbox online deal. CAN'T SMEGGIN WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fixxer
05-23-2002, 03:46 AM
I don't want any cheating online or anything, but I would prolly get a gameshark if one came out. My friend has a gameshark and it comes in handy for annoying timers n stuff like that.

MOrgE
05-23-2002, 07:37 AM
i dunno about you guys...
but theres just that big sense of accomplishment when you beat a difficult level all on your own... with no help...

the one level in SPiderman where you have to swing through the subway and avoid the Shocker's "shocks" took me 2 1/2 hours to beat... believe it or not... no matter how hard i tried, i just couldn't make it to the end... but when i did... WOW... talk about feeling on top of the world :)

MensurB
05-23-2002, 07:52 AM
Do you think that we will have "channels"? What I mean with that is for example: I push a button (black?) to talk to my team mates, and the other (white?) to talk to all people in that game session. Do you also think that we'll be able to talk to our "buddies" that are playing a different game?
Tell me what you think

Veno
05-23-2002, 09:50 AM
The games I'll be playing online most of the time will be UC, Halo, and Conflict:Desert Storm, for C:DS, anyone know how the multiplayer's gonna be? I hope it's gonna be rogue spear style aka counter strike style. Wait, what am i talkng about, is there even gonna be multiplayer for it on xbox live?

Highlite23
05-23-2002, 10:05 AM
I think Sega remoidied that problem with Phantasy Star, although too late, heavy high...DC:(

I'm sure MS and developers can/are comming up with a solution.

BUT IT'S SURE GONNA BE FUN!! :cool:

Highlite23
05-23-2002, 10:07 AM
"heavy SIGH" e-gads, i gotta slow down.

viperII
05-23-2002, 04:52 PM
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14064

SkoalMint
05-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
But, like I said before, it's great that XBox Live is going to feature a sweet forum so we can play against our non-cheating XBA comrades and stuff!

Exactly. I think this is what made battle.net such a success with Diablo. Those that wanted to cheat could. However, those like myself that played legit could join up with a guild and have trustworthy players to play with. If there is cheating on XBox Live, I think it will only serve to make any type of XBA clan stronger as more people will want a "safe" place to lay their smack down on someone.

CALzinger
05-23-2002, 06:23 PM
well hopefully, Xbox Live will have some sort of patch updater to prevent hackers from playing, similar to how they have HLgaurd and CSguard for counter-strike. it could lead to a CHEAT FREE GAME!