PDA

View Full Version : I'm not really into RPG's but Morrowind sounds awsome.......

HaVoK
05-07-2002, 02:48 PM
the only rpg I really got into was Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast. Are there any non rpgers that just love this game, or is it more or less for the hardcore?

JJaX
05-07-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by HaVoK
the only rpg I really got into was Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast. Are there any non rpgers that just love this game, or is it more or less for the hardcore?

Well as far as i know of console gamers never really had a true RPG.

Sure there were you SQUARE games and there considered RPGS. But morrowind is a TRUE Rpg.

NAW I MEAN?

khaos2005
05-07-2002, 02:50 PM
I'm not really into RPGs, but Morrowind is going to be on my shelf for sure!

Radar
05-07-2002, 02:52 PM
I'm not into Japanese RPG's, so Morrowind, Project Ego, StarWars KOTOR, and Baldur's Gate will be on my Xbox shelf for sure!:D

HaVoK
05-07-2002, 02:53 PM
I mean I'm pretty sure I'll buy it and I know consolse have never had a true rpg as deep or as sophistcated as Morrowind, but is the fun factor there?

Radar
05-07-2002, 02:56 PM
From what I've heard and seen (there's a bunch of videos on gamespot) it looks like a blast to play. The stories from the folks playing the pc version have been great and they seem to be enjoying themselves.

YEP
05-07-2002, 02:57 PM
it depends....if you like the ability to do anything you want and go anywhere you want you will have fun. however, if need to follow one path all the way through a game and having to get certain items to pass another area then you may get frustrated.

I look at it this way, this game is just breaking the chains that the 'regular' console rpg's have and then saying go do whatever you feel like. ahhhh freedom.

HaVoK
05-07-2002, 02:59 PM
ehhh... this is kind of a pointless thread... I mean I've herd nothing but good reviews. I guess I was just hoping to here SOMTHING negative. It's weird I never really wanted it, but now i cant wait for it. It's all your guys fault ya know!:cool:

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 03:01 PM
You know, Havok, I'm kind of in the same boat, man. I mean, I'm a HUGE fan of the action genre...I love FPSs like Halo, action games like Amped, racing games like Rallisport Challenge, and just about every sports game.

But, I can't honestly say that I have ever truly played a full-fledged RPG. I mean, exploration can be cool and all, but, I'm one that needs action.

Some of the positive things that gets me intrigued with Morrowind is that you can play in First person mode and third-person mode. You have the option at your fingertips...that's nice. Also, I understand that the control scheme is going to be the same of Halo...now, that gets me more excited as well as I absolutely love the control scheme of Halo.

I also am a fan of graphics...they have to be there, especially for XBox exclusives, in my opinion. Morrowind clearly appears to have that, too.

But, this is what I'm going to do...I'm going to wait and see the reactions of many of the trustworthy "Addicts" and base what I am hearing before I buy this game. If there is not a ton of action, the game has to be interesting in some other way to me before I will drop the ca$h on it. Is this for hardcore RPG fans? Well, from what I have been reading, I hear that it's a great game to initiate people like us, who are not hardcore RPG fans, to get us into the genre. I heard this from the folks who made Morrowind...so, my guess is that a person doesn't necessarily need to be a hardcore RPG gamer to like Morrowind. I'm very much looking forward to seeing our XBA comrades' reactions :)

YEP
05-07-2002, 03:04 PM
i understand, you're just getting your post count up. :D

HaVoK
05-07-2002, 03:05 PM
I'm just gonna wait till after e3 before I buy any new games.

HaVoK
05-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by YEP
i understand, you're just getting your post count up. :D
naw I'm just bored.... when I get bored I ramble

YEP
05-07-2002, 03:07 PM
what other ones are you thinking about getting?

I'm thinking WSB will be a must-have, at least for sports fans.

HaVoK
05-07-2002, 03:21 PM
I'm just thinking there will be some surpise showings....

YEP
05-07-2002, 03:26 PM
only thing about E3 is this, yea, they'll show some games that no one knows about and they'll look out of this world, but then again, those games may not come out for who knows how long.

and if anyone has been to a gaming forum, they how much people hate waiting for games to come out.

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by YEP
only thing about E3 is this, yea, they'll show some games that no one knows about and they'll look out of this world, but then again, those games may not come out for who knows how long.

and if anyone has been to a gaming forum, they how much people hate waiting for games to come out.

YEP, I understand your point, but, that has always been the case since the days of Pong :D

HaVoK
05-07-2002, 03:35 PM
it aint no thang but a chicken wang! if nothing cool is shown, or if it is and dosn't come out for a long time I'll go buy Morrowind. I'm just hoping for an early release of brute force

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 03:36 PM
it aint no thang but a chicken wang! if nothing cool is shown, or if it is and dosn't come out for a long time I'll go buy Morrowind. I'm just hoping for an early release of brute force

Hey, Havok...did you see that long post I wrote to you above? I'm asking since it doesn't appear that you replied to it. I spent awhile writing that mama jama!!! :D

HaVoK
05-07-2002, 03:43 PM
thanks for the long reply... yes I did see it and I think I have to agree. It's just 50 bucks I guess that isn't bad considering you can do whatever you want. I'll pick it up sooner or later, I'm just gonna do like you and wait for more of the reations of the "addicts"

DZNUTZ
05-07-2002, 03:46 PM
hey max..i'm not a die hard rpg fan...shoot i didn't even by the latest final fantasy for my pos2....but i've already pre-ordered morrowind..if you want to know a non diehard-rpg gamers perspective i'd be more then happy to give u a review....just send 6.00 $ to DZNUTZ reviews.com...and you'll get a reply within 10-20 business days. btw...your welcome in advance;)

and tell me u signed up for oxm the day i provided the link
i said tell me damn it!!

UltraMuffin
05-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Man, am I excited about all these upcoming Xbox RPGs... I have been a big fan of RPGs ever since I got my Playstation... but those Japanese style menu-driven turn-based battles were wearing a bit thin. Games like Final Fantasy give the illusion that they're open ended by giving you a big world map to wander around, but they're actually pretty linear since you usually can't continue along the game unless you go to certain places in a certain sequence. Then you realize the game was designed to be a certain difficulty to match your strength at certain parts in the game... and that it will pretty much be a walk in the park as long as you know where you're supposed to be at what time (that's the hardest part of Final Fantasy type RPGs). I like the idea behind these "Western style RPGs"... where they just plop you down in a huge world to explore and create your own legacy... go where you wanna go when you want to, and not be held down by a predestined path. The hardest things to do with this type of gameplay is to make some sort of story come together though.

Monga
05-07-2002, 06:13 PM
I would say this a pretty hardcore RPG mostly for the fact that this game is most likely pretty slow, not that impressive in terms of graphics (I Know its huge, and that its a very detailed environment) but also the action isn't always going to be very....action packed.. But, it is extremely accessible because you can do sooooo many things. Its definetly got my 50$, but if you're a casual gamer, id be careful not to jump the gun and check out how it REALLY plays.

chili325
05-07-2002, 06:53 PM
Ive never played anything even close to an rpg. Except maybe zelda, which isnt really. But hell, i barely no what rpgs are all about. Morrowind looks like one of those that everyone should own just because its there. Does anyone know if morrowind has gone gold for xbox?

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by chili325
Ive never played anything even close to an rpg. Except maybe zelda, which isnt really. But hell, i barely no what rpgs are all about. Morrowind looks like one of those that everyone should own just because its there. Does anyone know if morrowind has gone gold for xbox?

Dude, I feel the exact same way and am in the same boat, so to speak. I will, most-likely, pick this up, however, I want to wait a few days and see what our XBA comrades have to say about it.

Apparently, Morrowind was delayed and won't be out until the 21st. The original date was the 16th when it would be first available. (Original ship date was the 15th, now it's the 20th) :)

UltraMuffin
05-07-2002, 08:26 PM
RPGs are hella addicting once you get into them... cuz the more you play, the stronger your character gets... and the more places you'll be able to explore without dying.

chili325
05-07-2002, 08:38 PM
What would happen if u died? Is it a game over or can u just load from a checkpoint

Radar
05-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by chili325
What would happen if u died? Is it a game over or can u just load from a checkpoint
There are many autosave points in the game where you can start over from, in addition you can save anywhere anytime in the game...you simply load your last desired save point when you die.

jschelm
05-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Dude, I feel the exact same way and am in the same boat, so to speak. I will, most-likely, pick this up, however, I want to wait a few days and see what our XBA comrades have to say about it.

Apparently, Morrowind was delayed and won't be out until the 21st. The original date was the 16th when it would be first available. (Original ship date was the 15th, now it's the 20th) :)

Max for me it looks like it has been delayed til the 22nd, since got second day shipping.....

sorry, I couldn't resist

PS. If you haven't gotten any of the captain morgan's gold DON'T
it is horrible

WynnFire
05-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Games where you have to go through 3-4 menus just to hit something or someone doesn't appeal to me. I have to admit that this game sounds pretty cool. I have a friend who is not a console or an RPG fan but he's interested in it. I started talking about it and he got really interested in it. So, I think he might get the PC version and I will eventually get the Xbox version. I will get this game whenever it comes out.

Maybe not right away but I will buy it.:confused:

Liquid Gears
05-07-2002, 10:19 PM

I'm not into RPG's too and I think the game looks like *****.

Dukefan22
05-07-2002, 11:06 PM
I can't wait until Morrowind is released for the Xbox. I've had it preordered since the first time EBgames had it on sale for 39.99. It's gotten to the point that I try to find anything I can about this game to read. It even went as far as going to EB the other day just to look at the PC's box. I was tempted to buy the strategy guide, but I would have had that thing read by the time I got the game and would have had some surprises spoiled for me, so I held off. But yeah, I'm excited for this game.

darianX
05-08-2002, 12:45 AM
Hmmm...not being a fan of "fantasy/D&D" type stuff I'm not really sure about it. I've been looking around for reviews of the PC version but I haven't found much yet. Open ended gaming is definately cool, so that's why I'm not sure if I want to get this one or not.

I know that this is an RPG but it also seems like an adventure game and I love those. The Longest Journey was one of the best games I've ever played...had some RPG elements and lots of exploring. I'm almost kinda hoping Morrowind is like that because then I'll buy it....I do have 007 finished to trade in for it :)

Dilr0y
05-08-2002, 12:57 AM
Are you critically insane? Why on this god-foresaken planet would you want to trade 007: AUF? Now, I'm not saying this is the best game ever to hit earth, although, it's multiplayer is quite full of enjoyment and addictation. Therefore, KEEP IT! Don't trade it. Seriously. But, if you don't have 4 controllers and no one to play with then go for it. ;)

DVDGNZ
05-08-2002, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Dukefan22
I can't wait until Morrowind is released for the Xbox. I've had it preordered since the first time EBgames had it on sale for 39.99. It's gotten to the point that I try to find anything I can about this game to read. It even went as far as going to EB the other day just to look at the PC's box. I was tempted to buy the strategy guide, but I would have had that thing read by the time I got the game and would have had some surprises spoiled for me, so I held off. But yeah, I'm excited for this game.

I got mine for $39.99 too but it was from Gamestop. There was also a GoXbox sale which took another $5 off of the price so I got it for $40 and change with shipping! Can't wait!

darianX
05-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Nope, I'm not insane :eek:
I don't get a chance to play many multiplayer games...plus I don't really care for split screen stuff. I like multiplayer all on the same screen. 007 was pretty good, I don't know what everyone was complaining about really. Had a good time with it.

On the subject of trading in games...I whipped up a spreadsheet that keeps track of initial buying prices and trade-in values, then figures out how much you're spending per game. Right now, I'm just below the $30 mark :cool:

YEP
05-08-2002, 11:01 AM
do you have this spreadsheet availabe to other people? i'm curious as to how much i'm spending per game.

darianX
05-08-2002, 11:04 AM
I think my email is available in the profile...email me if you want it. It's an Excel spreadsheet just so you know.

Oh sh1t..I don't have it here with me at work...will have to wait till I get home to send.

YEP
05-08-2002, 11:14 AM
ahhh, don't worry about it, i get most my games free anyway (it's nice to know certain people).

as for your concern about this game, i wouldn't worry. My impression from most of the stories that i have read from people that actually have the game, is that you shouldn't run out of things to do. Not saying that there's going to be non-stop action just that you'll be busy do other things besides fighting.

Brevity
05-08-2002, 11:32 AM
I love RPG's I have played many dif. types and all. I am now playing Goldensun Morrowinds, and Dungeon Siege. I really like top down RPG's. ie Diablo, and DS. But after playing Morrowinds I can say it is very fun, very...I think you and just about anyone would enjoy this game.....I have a friend that hates games that he has to read alot in he would never buy this one I read last night like I was studding for a test,,,that is to say a lot. But give this one a go it will be worth it.

X-Ray
05-19-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

Well as far as i know of console gamers never really had a true RPG.

Sure there were you SQUARE games and there considered RPGS. But morrowind is a TRUE Rpg.

NAW I MEAN?

Well, what exactly are the distinguishing criteria of an RPG as opposed to an action/adventure game with some RPG attributes?