PDA

View Full Version : Videogame League

MaxgamerX24
05-07-2002, 06:13 PM
On Tech TV right now they are running a story on having a videogame league running, making it a professional sport. If this comes true would you want to be in it, or would you want gameing strictly to be weekend entertainment?

Laxeph
05-07-2002, 06:14 PM
I would if the money was good.

l Maximus l
05-07-2002, 06:17 PM
Entertainment for me. Many times in my life I have taken a hobby and tried to go into competition and later finding out that I don't enjoy it much anymore.

One example is swimming and diving. While I loved doing this recreationally, I decided to join the high school swimming and dive team back in high school. I hated it and now swimming is not nearly as fun as it used to be. It's still fun, but, I don't like swimming in pools much anymore...I like lakes, rivers, and the ocean now.

Anyway, maybe I'm wierd, but, I would never want to play games "professionally".

MaxgamerX24
05-07-2002, 06:21 PM
I definitly see where you are coming from, but still, it would be cool to be in a Halo league .

Huckleberry
05-07-2002, 06:27 PM
oooh....talk to me 10 years ago (of course, we'd be playing nintendo) and i'd be all over it. however, my 1-2 days a week of xboxian splendor would be no match for those high school/college peeps that are playing each and every day. i could probably hang in the driving games. Heck, is the game of choice around here, but amongst the CO12, one merely needs to mention the name Tiger, and we all know who we'll need to account for all game long.

i was just thinking about this a couple of days ago. there's so much money in the industry, and a much wider fan base to draw from than, say, pro volleyball or the We're Not Basketball Athletes. If all the console and software companies were behind it, there could be some pretty huge $$$!

MaxgamerX24
05-07-2002, 06:30 PM
would you pay to watch a tournament? (Halo-system link, Doa3-tag team, Rallisport challenge 4-player)

chili325
05-07-2002, 06:48 PM
Only if you could place bets, that would be awesome.

StillFly
05-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Yeah, thats a sweet idea chili.

I don't think you'd get many chiks saying you were a professional video game player versus hockey or somethin'

HaVoK
05-07-2002, 07:36 PM
mmmmmm..... money for playing videogame:) :eek: :p

Laxeph
05-07-2002, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't pay to watch, but I might go if it were free.

stang46
05-08-2002, 01:49 AM
Yeah its pretty cool. I was in the counter-strike clan Deep6(d6) and have made some actual money playing Counter-strike in houston tournies as well as CPL championships. Its pretty sweet when you can play games that you love and make $ at the same time. Organized gaming for money is really starting to grow and i definetly think its going to get bigger in the future. Check out:
www.thecpl.com
its one of the biggest gaming leages around right now for counter-strike. The last counter-strike tourny the top team took away $50,000...LATERZ

Hugh_Jass
05-08-2002, 07:24 AM
The whole idea of professional athletics is bizarre to me and always has been. Why someone would pay money and/or spend time watching someone else play a game is beyond me.

If you're that interested, then PLAY the game yourself.

As for becoming a professional game player myself...well, if someone wanted to pay me to play a game I wouldn't turn them down.

SkoalMint
05-08-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Huckleberry
oooh....talk to me 10 years ago (of course, we'd be playing nintendo) and i'd be all over it. however, my 1-2 days a week of xboxian splendor would be no match for those high school/college peeps that are playing each and every day. i could probably hang in the driving games. Heck, is the game of choice around here, but amongst the CO12, one merely needs to mention the name Tiger, and we all know who we'll need to account for all game long.

i was just thinking about this a couple of days ago. there's so much money in the industry, and a much wider fan base to draw from than, say, pro volleyball or the We're Not Basketball Athletes. If all the console and software companies were behind it, there could be some pretty huge $$$!

I agree with you. 10-15 years ago, I'd have been all over it. But since I've come into the real world (house, wife, kids, job, etc.) I don't think I'd have the time to compete, let alone hone my skills to the levels they would need to be to play competitively. I'd be interested in following it tho. I doubt I would pay to watch it. At least not anymore than it costs to watch other sports on cable TV. That being said, I really don't watch sports on TV. I follow them and watch SportCenter some, but as far as sitting down for 3 hours to watch a game??? I'd rather play Halo.

JJaX
05-08-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by MaxgamerX24
On Tech TV right now they are running a story on having a videogame league running, making it a professional sport. If this comes true would you want to be in it, or would you want gameing strictly to be weekend entertainment?

I read a think in FHM i think. They had some european FPS gaming tournament event. 1st place got like 70,000 Pounds.

Thats over $100,000.00 American dollers :eek:
I could be mistaken, ill try to find the mag.

I also read about somehting about Frags for cash online. You play games online, But the catch is you bet real money on the match. Winner takes all. Almost like online gambling.

Count me in

DrUnKtAnK
05-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Talk about enjoying your job....:cool:

DZNUTZ
05-08-2002, 02:35 PM
last wekend at the pub..one of my freindz was all " you should go on that show beat the geeks( never watched it but i know the basic idea of the show)...as the video game geek. i don't see anything wrong in getting paid to do something u enjoy

i know for myself personally...out of my friends that i personally know and hang out with..i know way more about video games then them...just curious to know how many others of u fall into this categorey?

JJaX
05-08-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
last wekend at the pub..one of my freindz was all " you should go on that show beat the geeks( never watched it but i know the basic idea of the show)...as the video game geek. i don't see anything wrong in getting paid to do something u enjoy

i know for myself personally...out of my friends that i personally know and hang out with..i know way more about video games then them...just curious to know how many others of u fall into this categorey?

That would be me. ;)
Majority of my friends dont really play video games often. But if they need to know something they know ill know it.

Ill just say things like "Yeah, that s4its tight, You get to Buck mad s4it up and blow crap up"

And they say "Aiight aiight!"

But if they're into games i can explain it from a true gemers perspective.

NAW I MEAN?