That's great news! Nice find! :)

Knight
05-08-2002, 11:42 AM
Wednesday May 8, 12:00 pm Eastern Time
Press Release
SOURCE: Microsoft Corp.
Xbox Sales Surge in Europe
Gamers Respond to Extraordinary Xbox Value Proposition
LONDON, May 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT - news) today reported a sizeable increase in sales of its Xbox(TM) video game system throughout Europe as customers have enthusiastically embraced the recent price reduction. Now available in Europe for an estimated street price of euro 299 ($272 U.S.), the award winning Xbox is the most powerful video game system on earth. With 40 games currently available in Europe (65 in the U.S.) and more than 150 to be available by Christmas, Xbox is the only video game console designed for the future of gaming with a built-in hard drive and broadband adapter.

Since the European price reduction took effect April 26, weekly sales are running neck-and-neck with PlayStation 2. Based on week-to-week sales since launch, Xbox represents 49% of the next generation console market in the United Kingdom(1), 46% in France and 55% in Germany(2).

Already-strong attachment rates for Xbox games have increased as well with an average of 3.7 games purchased for each Xbox video game system in the United Kingdom(3). Award-winning Microsoft Game Studios title "Halo" (recently awarded Game of the Year, Technical Achievement of the Year and Audio Achievement of the Year by influential industry magazine Edge) built on its success, with an average attach rate of 88%(4). Increased European sales have taken "Halo" well past the one million sales milestone worldwide.

"Our customers have reacted positively to the price drop and we have seen an uplift in sales since April 26," said Alex Croft, head of buying for GAME Stores Group Ltd(5). "This activity reaffirms Microsoft's commitment to the market and highlights the excellent value Xbox now represents to our customers."

"I'm glad that more gamers in Europe are able to experience Xbox for themselves," said Sandy Duncan, vice president, Xbox Europe. "Our strategy is to give outstanding value to as many consumers as possible, and the increased Xbox sales since the price reduction indicate that strategy is on track. The new price allows us to be more competitive and make serious inroads into the hearts of European gamers leading up to Christmas, 2002.

"As we've said before, this is a marathon, not a sprint -- and these initial figures are extremely encouraging," said Duncan. "But it is delivering great games and great experiences to hundreds of thousands of happy consumers in Europe over the long term that is our most important goal, and we will continue to drive initiatives to continue this cycle of success." In addition to the new price point, word-of-mouth recommendations and stellar reviews are driving gamers to the great games available on Xbox.

About Xbox

Xbox is Microsoft's future-generation video game system that delivers the most powerful games experiences ever. Xbox empowers game artists by giving them the technology to fulfill their creative visions as never before, creating games that blur the lines between fantasy and reality. Xbox is now available in North America, Japan, Europe and Australia. More information on Xbox can be found at http://www.xbox.com/.

About Microsoft

Founded in 1975, Microsoft is the worldwide leader in software, services and Internet technologies for personal and business computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services designed to empower people through great software -- any time, any place and on any device.

(1) Data from ChartTrack, 29 April 2002
(2) Data from GfK, 7 May 2002
(3) Data from ChartTrack, 29 April 2002
(4) Data from ChartTrack, 29 April 2002
(5) The GAME Group plc, Europe's largest retailer of video games and
computer software (formerly The Electronics Boutique plc)

This document is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to this document or the information contained in it.

Microsoft and Xbox are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

Prices quoted are estimated retail prices and may vary due to local VAT rates.
SOURCE: Microsoft Corp.

Xtopia
05-08-2002, 12:27 PM
Good to hear!

DrUnKtAnK
05-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Nice find. Let's keep it rollin'

Plewis
05-08-2002, 01:02 PM
i dont know if i can believe it since it's MS talking I think I will wait till an independant research company verifies:)

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-08-2002, 01:29 PM
brilliant find and aweome news but i think the mods should make a thread about the sales so that everyone can post info in it!

xboxinstinct
05-08-2002, 02:00 PM
i KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN

Xbox Owner
05-08-2002, 02:13 PM
yay!....that is pretty good to hear.

MaxgamerX24
05-08-2002, 02:20 PM
Makes me proud to be an Xbox owner.

HaVoK
05-08-2002, 02:32 PM
WOO HOO!!

melon
05-08-2002, 03:07 PM
Everyone should blast the new KoRn (here to stay)
XBox is HERE TO STAY!

l Maximus l
05-08-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by melon
Everyone should blast the new KoRn (here to stay)
XBox is HERE TO STAY!

**Max proceeds to head bang at the thought while sticking his tongue out and closing his eyes** :D

Unreal
05-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Its always nice to see positive news once in awhile, so thanks for the thread :cool:

faceoff508
05-08-2002, 03:41 PM
YEASS

Xaminor
05-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Good find bud :cool:

Afro Aura
05-08-2002, 08:00 PM
and I'm the bringer of bad news guys over here in the UK the GC seem to be doing pretty well, I'm not worred about the PS2 as it's old hat but the GC at its price is making people take a VERY hard look at it, 2 of my friends have just bought the GC because of the price and the others are thinking about it, but I have to say it's kind of funny they brought down the GC with Rouge Squadron (one player), Waverace and FIFA (which is crap) and started playing for about 2 hours, then they when back to my XBOX after cussing the machine to blue heaven hmmm I'm just wandering if they should take a trip to a psychologist to sort there heads out, a cheap machine with cheap rehashed games, I'll but Rouge Squadron in another league as it is a good game and it was the one that turned my friends into thinking of buying the GC

one of my friend said he will buy the XBOX when VF4.1 and the other when Phantasy Star Online is available for it (he bought the GC because he wanted that game so much, by the way is it still coming to the XBOX?)

thunderkiss2k1
05-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Plewis
i dont know if i can believe it since it's MS talking I think I will wait till an independant research company verifies:)

I don't understand why when Microsoft reports it's sales figures everyone assumes that they are lying or exaggerating, but when Nintendo or Sony report theirs, its accepted as gospel. Almost as if they think Nintendo or Sony are incapable of lying or exaggerating. Peace.

Nerrad529
05-09-2002, 12:02 AM
Good Good now we gotta keep it going ya know!

DVDGNZ
05-09-2002, 03:04 AM
Now Japan needs to give in as well.