PDA

View Full Version : Enclave Interview

Virtuoso
05-09-2002, 04:03 AM
Microsoft’s Xbox console has its share of action games already and Starbreeze Studios plans to add to the Xbox lineup later this year with Enclave, a fantasy themed game that has already received praise for its graphical looks. The game will be co-published by Conspiracy Entertainment and Vivendi Universal Games later this year. HomeLAN got a chance to chat with Dan Jevons, the executive producer of the game at Conspiracy, to find out more about Enclave.

HomeLAN - How did the idea for Enclave come about?

Dan Jevons - Enclave started out as a steam-punk themed multiplayer FPS. Obviously that particular genre is getting a little crowded these days so over time the game concept gradually evolved into what it is today: a fantasy themed, 3rd person single player action game. The developer, Starbreeze Studios came up with the original idea, back in 2000.

HomeLAN - What is the backstory for the game's premise?

Dan Jevons - Many Millennia ago the world of Enclave was torn apart by an enormous rift, separating light (an ordered civilization) from dark (anarchy). The game features two campaigns. One follows the dark side, the other, the light side. These are not mirror campaigns, so the events will be completely different. The storyline was inspired by classic, Tolkein-esque high fantasy but features a somewhat darker tone than most.

HomeLAN - What are some of the levels and environments like in the game?

Dan Jevons - We have traditional fantasy locations like castles, villages and mines but we also have some very unique locations such as a magical underwater prison and an abandoned city ripped in half by the rift. The environments are extremely diverse and there’s thematic continuity between the Enclave (light) and Outland (dark) architecture.

HomeLAN - What does Enclave have in terms of weapons?

Dan Jevons - Close to a hundred of them. There are a wide range of conventional melee weapons (swords, axes, hammers, knives), bows (crossbows, longbows) and magical spells.

HomeLAN - What are some of the enemies like in the game?

Dan Jevons - For the most part players will confront a mixture of class combinations from the opposing side, but there are a few feral monsters hostile to both sides and some titanic boss battles as well.

HomeLAN - What other gameplay features do you consider to be important and/or unique in Enclave?

Dan Jevons - The ability to upgrade your character’s equipment and class specific skills as the game progresses. A successful mixture of melee and projectile weapons. Interactive siege weapons which can destroy large parts of the environment in real time.

HomeLAN - What can you tell us about the game engine that Enclave will use?

Dan Jevons - The technology is proprietary to Starbreeze Studios, the developer. The engine itself has been in development since early '97, back when a 3Dfx voodoo board was the hottest thing you could have in your 200Mhz PC. As you can imagine, the Enclave engine has evloved considerably since its inception. Most parts have probably been rewritten 3-4 times by now, because the target hardware and APIs have developed and you realize things can be done in a better way. However, during the last 18 months or so, the overall architecture have remained pretty constant, although tons of features have been added and specific modules have been wholly or partially rewritten.

HomeLAN - Will the game support multiplayer and if so what will the game support?

Dan Jevons - There are currently no plans for multiplayer support. Enclave was designed as a single player experience, like Max Payne.

HomeLAN - Are there any plans for Enclave to support online gaming via the Xbox's Ethernet port?

Dan Jevons - Not at present.

HomeLAN - The game was originally going to be released on the PC as well as the Xbox. Why was the decision made to make the game an Xbox exclusive?

Dan Jevons - We think the Xbox has a lot going for it, eventually Enclave will make its way to the PC.

HomeLAN - Currently what is the status of the game's progress and when do you plan to release the game to stores?

Dan Jevons - The Xbox version is at the beta stage of development and should be in stores in late July.

HomeLAN - Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Enclave?

Dan Jevons - Enclave will surprise a lot of people, because while it does some things you’ve seen before, it really pushes the envelope as far as a third-person gaming experience goes. Xbox gamers will see firsthand why they bought a system.

.................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ..........

My take is that the game still may come with some form of MP and or Online. The latest word has been that just before E3 the Enclave team would be making some announcement.............It seems that at least my strong hunch is the game will come with "HOOKS"........... and when the online service is up and running the game will offer some online fun for all at that time. Let's hope this works out.

;) :D

http://pics.krawall.de/1/krawallbrand_ThePrisonsmall.jpg

http://pics.krawall.de/1/krawallbrand_FortressofCelenheimsmall.jpg

http://pics.krawall.de/1/krawallbrand_BombardierintheDividedCitysmall.jpg

http://pics.krawall.de/1/krawallbrand_Wizardinfullarmoursmall.jpg

mil
05-09-2002, 04:54 AM
"Interactive seige weapons which can destroy large parts of the environment in real time."

"titanic boss battles"

:eek:

This game is going to be awesome. Another must have title. Informative thread as always.

SkoalMint
05-09-2002, 05:43 AM
Great info Virtuoso - as always. I love the part about the XBox having alot going for it. It is good to see more and more developers coming on board and recognizing the power of the XBox.

Unreal
05-09-2002, 07:02 AM
What I find strange about this interview is the fact that they answered it as an Xbox exlusive. As Virtuoso knows by now, I need my Xbox exclusive games. The reason being is that devs do not have a ceiling for making them because of the power the Xbox offers them. By making a game mutli-platform, the bump-mapping, pixel and vertex shaders, lighting, hard drive, dolby digital 5.1 sound etc can not be taken advantage of. Anyway, thanks for the update. I am still on the fence about this game but it does look and sound good.

Brevity
05-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Looken better and better all the time. I will be there the day it releases. 4 sure

Spaztic
05-09-2002, 09:49 AM
This game is going to Rock!

Virtuoso
05-09-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Unreal
What I find strange about this interview is the fact that they answered it as an Xbox exlusive. As Virtuoso knows by now, I need my Xbox exclusive games. The reason being is that devs do not have a ceiling for making them because of the power the Xbox offers them. By making a game mutli-platform, the bump-mapping, pixel and vertex shaders, lighting, hard drive, dolby digital 5.1 sound etc can not be taken advantage of. Anyway, thanks for the update. I am still on the fence about this game but it does look and sound good.

I will do everything in my power to get this XBOX loving Canadian to the greener pasture of ENCLAVE..............;) :)

It looks good for XBOX and PC only UNREAL..........keep your fingers crossed, we just might get this game with it's potential in tact.

Late July would be a great warmup for the Fall onslaught of games............plus some HOOKs for online later in October will be all the better too..............I sure hope to hear this in there up-coming announcement..........;) :cool:

SWEET................

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2001/vgnews/102901/enclave/enclave_screen006.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2001/vgnews/102901/enclave/enclave_screen015.jpg