PDA

View Full Version : Mod chips soon to arrive - Will it hurt xbox?

obsidian
05-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Take a look at this, sounds like mod chips will soon be available for the xbox :

http://www.madgamers.net/news/view.php?id=614

Do you reckon this will hurt Microsoft as it heavily relies on software profits?

Will it increase Hardware sales?

I think the main people who will suffer will be the developers themselves.

Whisper
05-09-2002, 06:47 AM
well game rentals will go up :) :(

dougi3000
05-09-2002, 08:27 AM
it will "hurt" it as much as how PS2 & PSX "hurt"

:D

DOOM
05-09-2002, 09:07 AM
GAME PIRATES & BOOTLEGGERS SUCK AZZZ!!! :mad:

Radar
05-09-2002, 09:14 AM
I personally will believe it when I see they're available. I think its a load of BS personally...

Plus I wouldn't want to pirate games anyway since I'm a developer and know how hard it is to put together a quality game...

Kraft
05-09-2002, 09:17 AM
I can't wait to see how many people trash their xbox with the soldering iron while trying to add their mod chip. And it doesn't even look like its going to be a chip, per se. ProjectX is connected to like 29 different random points, what a mess. Anyways, while everyone else is burning their circuit boards with a hot piece of metal rendering their xbox usless, I will be taking me fully liscenced game out of its beautiful green box and playing some awesome games :)

LynxFX
05-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Do you reckon this will hurt Microsoft as it heavily relies on software profits?
No

Will it increase Hardware sales?

Not much.

DZNUTZ
05-09-2002, 03:33 PM
DZNUTZ OPINION = SEE WHAT DOOM AND KraftSLU said

i dont' know much about this chit...but couldn't MS find out how they hacked it to make the "chip" and then impliment some new code or thingymagig that all their newer titles have to have encoded on them to counteract the pirating?

LynxFX
05-09-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
DZNUTZ OPINION = SEE WHAT DOOM AND KraftSLU said

i dont' know much about this chit...but couldn't MS find out how they hacked it to make the "chip" and then impliment some new code or thingymagig that all their newer titles have to have encoded on them to counteract the pirating?

Probably, but it might even be cost prohibitive to MS and it would get cracked again.

Cloudkind
05-09-2002, 04:00 PM
I would imagine MS did have some idea this would happen and may have established plans to handle this.

DrUnKtAnK
05-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by dougi3000
it will "hurt" it as much as how PS2 & PSX "hurt"

:D

I have always been curious to see any projected numbers that shows what effect if any has the MODSchips had on Sony? Anyone seen such a thing?:confused:

Spaztic
05-09-2002, 04:43 PM
this mod can't be done by the normal joe, and how many people really know anything about computers and how to get the games. They aren't posted on a website, just for anyone to download? I really don't think that this is going to be a big issue. I wouldn't be suprised if ms enabled key codes for there online games, but other then that nothing can really be done, that would be cost effective!

l Maximus l
05-09-2002, 04:44 PM
Software piracy, while burning XBox games, will definately hurt the sales of software.

And, hardware sales will increase due to the ability to burn software.

And, DOOM said it best...Game piracy sucks ass. Just buy the games! Can anyone find any moral justification for owning something without paying for it after developers sweat blood and tears in making games for us? :mad:

Kraft
05-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Can anyone find any moral justification for owning something without paying for it after developers sweat blood and tears in making games for us? :mad:

Blood sweat and tears? Holy cow... remind me not to get into video game programming, as I am planning on dealing with is the occasional sore fingers and loss of sleep. Joking aside though, it is a crazy amount of work. These people have the skills, the motivation AND the creativity to make games like this work, they deserve the money they make.

Toonz
05-09-2002, 05:35 PM
1. I really do think that probably 90% of you on this Forum have atleast 1 piece of pirated software

2. If you really don't have any ( see #1 ) than I bet you have dl'd a mp3 or taped a movie from the television

On a plus note does anyone know if the online games will have CD keys of some sort that will help them be even further protected for piracy. That would good because peeps would have to buy those.

Piracy is a positive if you ask me. It will increase harware sales and with the exception of a few guys most peeps will probably have a balance of both Real games and Pirated ones.

These are my thoughts not yours.........Toonz

Azazel
05-09-2002, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dougi3000
[B]it will "hurt" it as much as how PS2 & PSX "hurt"

[QUOTE][

So there is a mod chip for the PS2? If so, it hasnt hurt PS2 sales, so hopefully the same goes for the xbox.

Spaztic
05-09-2002, 06:04 PM
I agree w/ toonz. I am more then positive that just about everyone here has a movie taped, a cd burnt, some mp3's on there computer, and so on and so forth. The people that are like "that is wrong I would never do it" say that because
1. they don't want to get flamed
2. they don't know how to get the games or make the mod.
3. And finally......I do believe some people won't burn games even if they could but the others are just lying ass people that are to insecure to say what they think!

look people, stealing a game is not right, stealing the mp3 is not right! This was an issue when the blank tape came out, everyone thought it was the end of the entertainment business. The problem is that some people have there shlong so far up in their xbox that the thought of jacking a game is unbelieveable, you people need to get a life, here's and idea go out and do something! Xbox is a hobbie, not a lifestyle.

Do you people buy cds even though it is possible to get every one off the net....well I do, I have purchased over 300, do I still burn mp3's well from time 2 time! There is a difference in owning something with honest money, then burning it, you seem to value it more! Now if someone buys an xbox just to pirate all of its games, that is wrong, but if they buy some games and then now and then burn one just to see what it is about....whats wrong with that, the person wouldn't have bought it if burning it wasn't possible, so whats the harm, no one looses anything! It seems that some people in this forum have very closed minds, and honestly feel this is the end of the world......my advise....GROW UP!

wulff
05-09-2002, 07:48 PM
I bet all those people in the other thread about what games suck,Either wish they could have burned them or are know looking closely at what they put their money down on......But hey they say a fool is born every minute.
Games i own.
Halo
Amped
Rallisport challenge
Abes oddysey(?spelling cranial cramp)
Blood Omen 2

Money is 2 precious now adays to be flinging out on cow turd games.
Rent first decide later.

P.s Why cant we just get some normal smiles on this site?

Afro Aura
05-09-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Toonz
1. I really do think that probably 90% of you on this Forum have atleast 1 piece of pirated software

2. If you really don't have any ( see #1 ) than I bet you have dl'd a mp3 or taped a movie from the television

Piracy is a positive if you ask me. It will increase harware sales and with the exception of a few guys most peeps will probably have a balance of both Real games and Pirated ones.

These are my thoughts not yours.........Toonz
I'm not to sure about the increase in hardware sales as the XBOX needs software to help counteract the production costs

and sure I have to say I did have some pirate software for my Dreamcast, Phanatasy Star Online was one of them in Japanese, I wanted to see what the game was like as it would had taken months before it came to the UK but as soon as it showed it's face in the UK I went straight out to buy it.

But now with the XBOX I'm not interested with the pirate software as I buy the game I want to buy and not get a cheap burn second-hand version of a game, I want this machine to succeed and continue to bring out the great games that NO other console could ever dare touch

OEM Alien
05-09-2002, 08:52 PM
here's how i'll go about the xbox mod-chip deal.
if xbox doesn't give us a loyalty rebate when they cut the price. i'm getting a mod chip and getting my money back through piracy of thirty $5.00 dollar xbox copied games.
plus all the games are to short and not worth $50.00 anyways sooo... :)

the end.
;)

Afro Aura
05-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Azazel
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dougi3000
[B]it will "hurt" it as much as how PS2 & PSX "hurt"

[QUOTE][

So there is a mod chip for the PS2? If so, it hasnt hurt PS2 sales, so hopefully the same goes for the xbox.
and can you tell me has the XBOX got a 30+million units out there?
if not then it will hurt

HaVoK
05-09-2002, 09:05 PM
Just buy the games you cheap asses!!!

...people are worried about XBOX failing and they decide that stealing games is going to help?

:eek: :confused: :( :mad:

OEM Alien
05-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by HaVoK
Just buy the games you cheap asses!!!

...people are worried about XBOX failing and they decide that stealing games is going to help?

:eek: :confused: :( :mad: why buy a $50.00 game that is overpriced for what you get in return, when you can get a mod and then burn them for 5 bucks each (or buy them for 5 or 10 each) and have almost the whole library of games for nearly the same price as two very short overpriced rippoff games ?????????
piracy in videogames is the best way to strike back at white collar crooks that charge $50.00 for a .85 cent peice of plastic with some coding on it.
have fun wasting your money. i'll be buying other IMPORTANT things (like food) with my hard earned money that i save by playing burned games. ;)

MaxgamerX24
05-09-2002, 09:34 PM
It boils down to if you like the fact that it cheats microsoft out of there money. (not that they don't have enough of it)

OEM Alien
05-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by MaxgamerX24
It boils down to if you like the fact that it cheats microsoft out of there money. (not that they don't have enough of it) but i don't care. :)

Xboxfan123
05-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by OEM Alien
why buy a $50.00 game that is overpriced for what you get in return, when you can get a mod and then burn them for 5 bucks each (or buy them for 5 or 10 each) and have almost the whole library of games for nearly the same price as two very short overpriced rippoff games ?????????
piracy in videogames is the best way to strike back at white collar crooks that charge $50.00 for a .85 cent peice of plastic with some coding on it.
have fun wasting your money. i'll be buying other IMPORTANT things (like food) with my hard earned money that i save by playing burned games. ;)

In Canada it costs $85 for most games. To use your analogy should people rob banks when they need money? Steals cars because they can't afford them? etc, etc.

These dumb@sses that pirate games are the same scum that make computer viruses. Instead of making a virus make a good computer program. Instead of pirating games why not make one.

What if we all just end up with a really expensive DVD player and no new games? Anyone thought of that?

OEM Alien
05-09-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Xboxfan123

In Canada it costs $85 for most games. To use your analogy should people rob banks when they need money? Steals cars because they can't afford them? etc, etc.

These dumb@sses that pirate games are the same scum that make computer viruses. Instead of making a virus make a good computer program. Instead of pirating games why not make one.

What if we all just end up with a really expensive DVD player and no new games? Anyone thought of that? maybe the government should go after crack dealers, prostitutes, and coke smugglers and lock them up for life or give them the death penalty for destroying society instead of not enforcing the law and therefore making it hard for people to survive and let the ecconomy get drained because of their assbackwards laws that don't get the job done on crime period.
why do they always help the BIG criminals, and screw the little people all over the place??
it's because of corruption.
so if theft is the proverbial pie in the face to the corrupt, and unfair laws, that are manipulated and goverened (or lack there off) by the crooked lawyers, politicians, mobsters inside the government. then it's absolutely fair and just to simply take back what has been stolen from you by way of biased laws to protectt he big time wealthy rich crooks.
i have no problem with this.
in fact i think it is more moraly correct to cheat the bigtime wealthy crooked cheaters (listed above) that pick on the downtrodden for the sake, and at the expense of "THEIR" almighty dollar.
so in theory if you are a crook you're actually just being a normal citizen that is excersizing your rights BY LAW that have been chipped away from under our noses for the last 80 years.
there is no place for hypocrisy in law, or that which it is supposed to govern over. therefore it is the law that is unjust. the small criminals that still do what they did before the crooks (in law and politics) made it illegal are simply being free.

FREEMAN! RIGHT HERE!
I AM A FREEMAN!
if you don't like it tell your local crooked politician, and tell them to knock it off before we knock them off.
AMERICA = # 1
"whenever there's a need for revolution... kill all the lawyers first."

smack119
05-10-2002, 12:54 AM
maybe the government should go after crack dealers, prostitutes, and coke smugglers and lock them up for life or give them the death penalty for destroying society instead of not enforcing the law and therefore making it hard for people to survive and let the ecconomy get drained because of their assbackwards laws that don't get the job done on crime period.
why do they always help the BIG criminals, and screw the little people all over the place??
so if theft is the proverbial pie in the face to the corrupt, and unfair laws, that are manipulated and goverened (or lack there off) by the crooked lawyers, politicians, mobsters inside the government. then it's absolutely fair and just to simply take back what has been stolen from you by way of biased laws to protectt he big time wealthy rich crooks.
in fact i think it is more moraly correct to cheat the bigtime wealthy crooked cheaters (listed above) that pick on the downtrodden for the sake, and at the expense of "THEIR" almighty dollar.
so in theory if you are a crook you're actually just being a normal citizen that is excersizing your rights BY LAW that have been chipped away from under our noses for the last 80 years.
there is no place for hypocrisy in law, or that which it is supposed to govern over. therefore it is the law that is unjust. the small criminals that still do what they did before the crooks (in law and politics) made it illegal are simply being free.

FREEMAN! RIGHT HERE!
I AM A FREEMAN!
if you don't like it tell your local crooked politician, and tell them to knock it off before we knock them off.
AMERICA = # 1

HAHAHA someone has some sour grapes. do you realize that the $50 you are paying is not to pay for the plastic it is made of??? all the developers that worked on the game need to be payed you know. if you think the game is short then just rent it, beat it and return it. just because someone makes money of something it makes them a crook? is $50 really that big a deal for you? maybe you should check out a better job or something.
ive got an idea......you should become a lawyer. i take pre-law now, it isnt that hard, you should try it. atleast when im done wont have to worry about spending $50 on something. you act like it empties your bank account to buy an xbox game.

OEM Alien
05-10-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by smack119

HAHAHA someone has some sour grapes. do you realize that the $50 you are paying is not to pay for the plastic it is made of??? all the developers that worked on the game need to be payed you know. if you think the game is short then just rent it, beat it and return it. just because someone makes money of something it makes them a crook? is $50 really that big a deal for you? maybe you should check out a better job or something.
ive got an idea......you should become a lawyer. i take pre-law now, it isnt that hard, you should try it. atleast when im done wont have to worry about spending $50 on something. you act like it empties your bank account to buy an xbox game.
1. i have money to do what i want.
2. i don't need people telling me how to spend my fifty dollars or where it goes (as if i didn't already know how people make money in this industry) :eek:
3. you proved me correct and are trying to flame me.
4. renting is a waste of money.
5. yes $50.00 really is that big a deal to me. just because you throw your money away like a fool doesn't mean i have to also.
6. psone games still cost 50.00 for their new premier titles, just like xbox games... that tells me the game makers are raping the customer, and i just don't happen to like it. to bad you don't agree with me, but your entitled to your pro-crook opinion.
7. feel free to empty your bank account on $50.00 crap games while i play them with a mod chip for 5 dollars and help make the price go up on the games you purchase... you know since money isn't important to you, go ahead, throw out another extra $30.00 for a $50.00 crappy game like kabuki warriors. i'll get it for free.
;)

Dilr0y
05-10-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
well game rentals will go up :) :(

Fortunately, and unfortunately, he's correct. =P

Afro Aura
05-10-2002, 11:38 AM

7. feel free to empty your bank account on $50.00 crap games while i play them with a mod chip for 5 dollars and help make the price go up on the games you purchase... you know since money isn't important to you, go ahead, throw out another extra $30.00 for a $50.00 crappy game like kabuki warriors. i'll get it for free.
;)
and again I see you talking rubbish as if you what to spend you money on crap games then go ahead oh by the way does that mean that Halo is crap as well? if your so stupid in buying crap games then thats your fault.
Most people I'm sure would rent a game to see if they like it and if so they buy it
like HaVoK said buy the game you cheap ass git

AcidJazz
05-10-2002, 01:27 PM
...piracy in videogames is the best way to strike back at white collar crooks that charge $50.00 for a .85 cent peice of plastic with some coding on it...

WHAT..? SOME CODING..?
You probably have ABSOLUTELY no idea how much it takes to develop that "some coding"...
I'm programming myself and believe me, after a day of coding i'm too tired even to play my Xbox.
You should appreciate all that work being done for you.

Kraft
05-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Amen, acidjazz. I just do some visual C++ for commercial software, which I don't even think compares to the type of programming game developers do. Its crazy all the work that goes into the game, and how much work they scrap when they change things. I bet they do enough work for 3 or 4 games before they come out with a finished product. OEM, if I put all that work into a game and found out you stole it? I wouldn't hesitate to find you and kick you in the crotch as "payment"

AcidJazz
05-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Amen, acidjazz. I just do some visual C++ for commercial software, which I don't even think compares to the type of programming game developers do. Its crazy all the work that goes into the game, and how much work they scrap when they change things. I bet they do enough work for 3 or 4 games before they come out with a finished product. OEM, if I put all that work into a game and found out you stole it? I wouldn't hesitate to find you and kick you in the crotch as "payment"

completely agree.
I write Perl scripts that process data taken from MySQL and DB/2 databases and i think it can't be even compared to programming games. I think you are pretty close with Visual C++ though. That is the language used to program games. i've done C/C++, read some stuff on Visual C++, but i can't take it any further than just reading as I don't have time... :(

Spaztic
05-10-2002, 01:49 PM
I program java, and I could care less if someone jacked my code as long as I still get paid!

Kraft
05-10-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls
I program java, and I could care less if someone jacked my code as long as I still get paid!

Bryan, if someone jacked your code, that means you wouldn't get paid. Say you wrote some sort of java thingy and you asked people for a mere 5 bucks to register. If that is your job, then that 5$ is your bread and butter. Thats what you live on. Now think about OEM hacking your program and figuring out how to use it without paying for it. He's stealing food and beer out of your mouth and xbox games out of your hands! And you are OK with this?

Spaztic
05-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU

Bryan, if someone jacked your code, that means you wouldn't get paid. Say you wrote some sort of java thingy and you asked people for a mere 5 bucks to register. If that is your job, then that 5$ is your bread and butter. Thats what you live on. Now think about OEM hacking your program and figuring out how to use it without paying for it. He's stealing food and beer out of your mouth and xbox games out of your hands! And you are OK with this?

.....no beer :confused:
*runs out the door looking for some ass to kick*

LynxFX
05-10-2002, 03:48 PM

.....no beer :confused:
*runs out the door looking for some ass to kick*

LOL, It always comes down to the beer money. :)

Xboxfan123
05-11-2002, 12:53 AM
maybe the government should go after crack dealers, prostitutes, and coke smugglers and lock them up for life or give them the death penalty for destroying society instead of not enforcing the law and therefore making it hard for people to survive and let the ecconomy get drained because of their assbackwards laws that don't get the job done on crime period.

FREEMAN! RIGHT HERE!
I AM A FREEMAN!
AMERICA = # 1

I agree that there should be stiffer penalties for criminals. The world is changing for the worse. I also think the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Someone found selling or buying a cracked game would face a harsher penalty than they would for many other offences. But that doesn't make it right or moral.

Buying or selling cracked games may seem like we are "sticking it to the big guys" but realistically we are not. For people that don't like the "system" work from within it to change it for the better. There are many ways to do this. Vote crooked polititians, judges and political parties out. Use your anger at the system in a positive way. Copying games does nothing to solve the scenarios you described.

Again using your analogy. Should banks be robbed because they have a lot of money? No. Should someone with a nice car be carjacked because they are rich. No. You didn't really answer my question and no I'm not flaming you.

OEM Alien
05-11-2002, 08:17 AM
i disagree with all of you. just pass the mod chip this way and let the pirating begin! :)

oh, and if we gave the death sentence to the people that sell crack, powder coccaine (in large or small amounts) and the users that get caught with it for the 3rd time (three strikes and your out, thanks bill clinton. :) ) plus all the gambling mafias and prostitutes (street walkers, hotel hookers, and escorts) we wouldn't have to spend trillions on this silly war on drugs that will NEVER be won. just put them to death and POOF! they all like magic seem to disappear.
it would also put less strain on our relations with other countries, because we would be in a more powerfull seat to tell them to do it our way or else.

so that's my beautiful thoughts for the day. thanks for listening and gaining wisdom.

BTW
get WSB2K3 instead of those other two trash games that are coming out this month... hunter, and morrowind. you'll thank me later. :)

Spaztic
05-11-2002, 06:50 PM
Wsb2k2 better then hunter or morrowind?! :confused: I really doubt a ported game can compete with a game that is specially made for the xbox! And besides I hate baseball, so IMO it will not be better then either morrowind and hunter! But I will probably check it out just because my girl likes to play baseball games.

OEM Alien
05-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Wsb2k2 better then hunter or morrowind?! :confused: I really doubt a ported game can compete with a game that is specially made for the xbox! And besides I hate baseball, so IMO it will not be better then either morrowind and hunter! But I will probably check it out just because my girl likes to play baseball games. wsb2k2 has been completely redone for the xbox, fool.
hunter = zombie revenge on xbox
morrowind = Baulders Gate II in 3-d.
nuff said.
wsb2k2 = 9.5
morrowind = 8.7 (see gamespot.com review is up)
hunter = 7.8 (zombie revenge pt. 2)