PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind and Project Ego: Will they change console RPG's?

Trusty Mutsi
05-09-2002, 01:39 PM
If Morrowind and Project Ego do incredibly well, do you think it will begin a shift towards open-ended Rpg's rather than linear?

APEX
05-09-2002, 01:45 PM
I think so....Traditionally open-ended rpgs have been considered "PC-ware" but if games like Morrowind and Project Ego do good then more developers may look into making these types of games for consoles....

I hope open ended rpgs will be embraced by console gamers. I honostly don't think I could bring myself to playing another game with turned-based battles and one dimensional plots.

Bring on the open-enders!!!!

YEP
05-09-2002, 01:56 PM
i totally agree!! look at it this way, with a linear game, you play it once through and have a great time playing it. but then what, play it again and do the same thing over and over again?!?!? wow, talk about fun....

with an open-ended game, you play it once and have a great time playing it. but now, you play it again, it's almost like a new game. talk about replay value. plus, i think open-ended games offer more possibilities for in game action because they don't have that rigid path to follow in which you have to go in order.

DZNUTZ
05-09-2002, 01:58 PM
with replayability being one of the first and amin things i look for in a game....i am all for the non-linear titles!

Ninja Scroll
05-09-2002, 02:04 PM
It's hard to say when non of these games are not only not in stores, but are not playable either,...atleast not until E3 (for Project EGO).
Morrowind sounds promising, but I dont know if it will change the way RPG's are played.

Im one whome never gets caught up in da hype so im not overwhelmed my the hype either of these two upcoming RPG's are raveing about.:)

Virtuoso
05-09-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by APEX
I think so....Traditionally open-ended rpgs have been considered "PC-ware" and if games like Morrowind and Project Ego do good then more developers may look into making these types of games....

I hope open ended rpgs will be embraced by console gamers. I honostly don't think I could bring myself to playing another game with turned-based battles and one dimensional plots.

Bring on the open-enders!!!!

Yes what that guy said............;) :)

Bring on open-ended and free to roam games. And yes these games are the beginning of open-ended games. And they will sell alot and years from now they will be regarded as trend setters for all what we will be playing then.

Trusty Mutsi..........good topic..........:D :)

Trusty Mutsi
05-09-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Virtuoso
Trusty Mutsi..........good topic..........:D :)

Just doing my job, ma'am.

I mean...

Shoot.

l Maximus l
05-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Good topic...though, if you think about it, linear shooters like Halo have great replayability especially considering the multi-player aspect to it.

I know this is a shooter and not an RPG, but, Halo does have some roaming elements to it...but, not like an RPG, of course. :)

Ukyo
05-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Hopefully we will begin to see more open-ended gameply from RPGs in the future. Morrowind is a blast, and it will keep me busy for a very long time. There will still be a strong demand for traditional, linear RPGs, but I think it's a safe assumption that we will see more of the likes of Morrowind and Project Ego.

Trusty Mutsi
05-09-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
linear shooters like Halo have great replayability especially considering the multi-player aspect to it...

Heh... that's funny. I never noticed it, but Halo sure is pretty linear. Surprised I've enjoyed it this long without noticing. All the strong points of the game outweigh it I guess:)

Dilr0y
05-10-2002, 12:02 AM
Well definitely, with out a doubt, Project Ego will make a huge impact on the RPG "industry" and whatnot. I haven't been following Morrowind that much, but I have heard that it is going to be the first of its kind to be able to go into FPS mode. To me, that's really cool. I will check out the game, just for that reason. I mean think about it, a RPG, capable of going into FPS view. Insane, if you ask me. But ahh, what can ya do, ya know? =p

Trusty Mutsi
05-10-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Dilr0y
Well definitely, with out a doubt, Project Ego will make a huge impact on the RPG "industry" and whatnot. I haven't been following Morrowind that much, but I have heard that it is going to be the first of its kind to be able to go into FPS mode. To me, that's really cool. I will check out the game, just for that reason. I mean think about it, a RPG, capable of going into FPS view. Insane, if you ask me. But ahh, what can ya do, ya know? =p

Well, personally I'm not a big 3rd person view fan, so the 1st person view has me very stoked:) Hopefully it will be like Halo in a fantasy setting. I believe Virtuoso said it controls very much like Halo.

Rowdie
05-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Watch the upcoming RTS games all get reworked because of B&W. AoE is effectively THE rts game and you watch the next one have a 3d engine akin to B&W. Where you can zoom in and out freely and rotate the world and all that great stuff. Once I played B&W it just got real fustrating going back to the RTS games. I just kept thinking, why the f can't I rotate the screen? Why Can't I zoom in and out, why can't I stop this silly human from cutting down this tree? Why do my boats get stuck on land? Why don't the forests grow? Why do the buildings advace instantly instead of evolve? If my lil human has been farming since his 'birth' why isn't he better at farming then the guy that's been busting rocks his whole 'life'. Why does everyone's castles looke exactly the same? Why doesn't building a wonder do anything for me? How come if I destroy a building, one of my own... or others for that matter, doesn't it become a resourse? If I want to take apart a wall and use it to build a castle I ought to be able to do that. Anyway, these are the things the RTS folks should be working hard on if they even spent an hour on B&W. That engine and concept, and exicution blows away anything in the RTS world.

I expect a lot of the same things to happen on the RPG side too. :cool:

Dre
05-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Rowdie
Watch the upcoming RTS games all get reworked because of B&W. AoE is effectively THE rts game and you watch the next one have a 3d engine akin to B&W. Where you can zoom in and out freely and rotate the world and all that great stuff. Once I played B&W it just got real fustrating going back to the RTS games. I just kept thinking, why the f can't I rotate the screen? Why Can't I zoom in and out, why can't I stop this silly human from cutting down this tree? Why do my boats get stuck on land? Why don't the forests grow? Why do the buildings advace instantly instead of evolve? If my lil human has been farming since his 'birth' why isn't he better at farming then the guy that's been busting rocks his whole 'life'. Why does everyone's castles looke exactly the same? Why doesn't building a wonder do anything for me? How come if I destroy a building, one of my own... or others for that matter, doesn't it become a resourse? If I want to take apart a wall and use it to build a castle I ought to be able to do that. Anyway, these are the things the RTS folks should be working hard on if they even spent an hour on B&W. That engine and concept, and exicution blows away anything in the RTS world.

I expect a lot of the same things to happen on the RPG side too. :cool:

For those not in the know. The same guy, Peter Molyneux, that made B&W is the head on the Project Ego development team.

X-Ray
05-18-2002, 07:04 PM
I've never played 'em but I admire the concept of openended gameplay not found in other RPG's except to a very limited extent.