PDA

View Full Version : X box not doing so good?

stevnso117
05-09-2002, 02:11 PM
I have an x box and ps2 and im not biased to either. I like them both and don`t complain about little thing like controllers. Anyway i`ve been reading in psm mag and others that xbox sells aren`t doing very good at all compered to ps2.They said that japan is still buyng more gamecubes,ps2`s,ps1`s and even dreamcast per week than x box`s. If so that doesn`t sound good. Also they said ps2 is still way out selling xbox in the states. Just wondering what you all know about it?

Ukyo
05-09-2002, 02:17 PM
More PS2s are sold annually than paper napkins (slightly exaggerated), but the Xbox has sold a respectable amount in the United States, and sales are now picking up in Europe due to the price cut.

Dre
05-09-2002, 02:21 PM
Just read one of the 100s of identical posts to this one that you can find by using that doodad on the right hand side of your internet browser. They are called "scrollbars".. with this amazing technology even you can look for info by simply clicking and dragging this thing up and down... crazy eh? Feeling even more adventurous? Try using the *GASP* search button. I did a search for "xbox sales" and got just under 200 hits.

Apart from that, on the front page of XBA is a news announcement about Xbox sales surge in Europe.

Anyways, I don't want to sound like an ass (although I'm sure I do), but it gets annoying to see the same topics come up again and again..... and again.... and again..

VenoM
05-09-2002, 02:28 PM
just wait and see how the sales go up once the xbox modchip hits,them japs love piracy :rolleyes: and also wait till stupid dating sims come out for xbox...another thing japs love...no idea why :confused:

Crazy Joe
05-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by stevnso117
I have an x box and ps2 and im not biased to either. I like them both and don`t complain about little thing like controllers. Anyway i`ve been reading in psm mag and others that xbox sells aren`t doing very good at all compered to ps2.They said that japan is still buyng more gamecubes,ps2`s,ps1`s and even dreamcast per week than x box`s. If so that doesn`t sound good. Also they said ps2 is still way out selling xbox in the states. Just wondering what you all know about it?

hmmmm... A playstation magazine said that eh? what i've heard recently is that in Europe they are neck and neck now, Japan is pretty much a wash so far, although sales increased when Halo was released. As for the US, Xbox is doing fine.

stevnso117
05-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Just read one of the 100s of identical posts to this one that you can find by using that doodad on the right hand side of your internet browser. They are called "scrollbars".. with this amazing technology even you can look for info by simply clicking and dragging this thing up and down... crazy eh? Feeling even more adventurous? Try using the *GASP* search button. I did a search for "xbox sales" and got just under 200 hits.

Apart from that, on the front page of XBA is a news announcement about Xbox sales surge in Europe.

Anyways, I don't want to sound like an ass (although I'm sure I do), but it gets annoying to see the same topics come up again and again..... and again.... and again..

I know what the sells numbers are for all the sytems and yes you do sound like an *******. My hole point of this post was just seeing if the xbox is doing as bad as the sales numbers i`ve read say it is.

Stiffy
05-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Here's the deal:

1. Yes, the Xbox will most likely finish third this year. And yes, Microsoft knew this. They knew that one year, or even one console for that matter, wasn't going to catapult them into first place. If you've read former interviews by Seamus Blackley, you'd know that MS understands that this is a game won with patience and trust in a long term perspective.

2. Of course Sony is selling more PS2's at this time. They've had a year jump on MS, and therefore have an extra year of killer apps. But, when the PS1 came out, the Sega Saturn had it beat in sales for over 8 months. Winning an audience takes time.

3. If you care, then why? When I bought my Dreamcast (my first Sega product) I didn't check sales charts or quaterly revenue listings. I didn't care about what one magazine said, or what one guy wrote on a website about this "doomed" system. I bought the system because there was about 30 games I was looking forward to playing. I bout the system because I knew I'd have a blast playing PSO with my friends. I bought it, played the heck out of it for over a year, then I sold it to a friend, who is still enjoying it to this day. Then I used the money towards my Xbox purchase. Do I miss my Dreamcast...yep. Do I regret ever buying a so-called "doomed" console? Nope. I'm a gamer. That's what gamers do.

l Maximus l
05-09-2002, 04:20 PM

I know what the sells numbers are for all the sytems and yes you do sound like an *******. My hole point of this post was just seeing if the xbox is doing as bad as the sales numbers i`ve read say it is.

Well, as you know, the PS2 have far more games than the XBox. Also, the XBox only has 1st generation games right now...most of them were being developed even before the final specs were finished on the XBox. Also, keep in mind that Halo, which earned game of the year which includes all console and PC games, only uses 45% of the XBox's capabilities.

Expect a huge surge in sales when XBox Live (the on-line service) launches and when games like Unreal Championship, Brute Force, Strident, Duality, Project Ego, and several other games come out. The PS2 will just be a past-time.

By the way, the XBox is outselling the GameCube in the states.

DZNUTZ
05-09-2002, 04:25 PM
great response stiffy..i agree with everything u said a hundred percent.

faceoff508
05-09-2002, 04:30 PM
XBOX WILL NOT FAIL!!!

OEM Alien
05-09-2002, 08:44 PM
xbox is failing becasue of 3 things
1. games WAY are to short for $50.00
2. not enough games ported over from pc (pc =same thing as xbox... win 2000/direct x).
3. not enough fps games.

it's their own fault, and me and everyone else that owns an xbox are having to pay for it. $%@#%@$#^#
oh well, back to pc gaming till some quality games start showing up. :eek:

HaVoK
05-09-2002, 08:49 PM
E3 will change everything!!

UltraMuffin
05-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Personally, by the end of this year, I think people are gonna go Xbox-crazy... I predict that by the end of the year, or soon after, PS2 and GC owners are going to start buying Xboxes... and it will keep gaining momentum for the next couple years.

Why do I think this? Because Microsoft has been the underdog in the console war even before it was released... The underdog tries harder. Just looking at and reading the previews of games that are scheduled for release late this year, I can tell the Xbox is somethin special.

kiz10
05-09-2002, 11:14 PM
Xbox was getting beaten hands down by PS2 here in Australia. Our price drop hit on April 28 and the Xbox is making up for lost ground. The debate will always rage as to which console is better but it always comes down to the gamers opinion.

stevnso117
05-10-2002, 09:10 AM
The sales numbers in japan for the week of april 1-7 were

PS2 80,732

GAMECUBE 15,068

XBOX 2,179

DREAMCAST 3,427

PS ONE 3959

Those numbers look pretty ugly to me. I just know as a general rule for a console to be a sucess it has to do very good in japan. Im not saying x box is doomed by anymeans i think when they go online it will help alot and i think there online will be alot better than sony`s i think. But there again just look at the dreamcast it was a great system i still have mine it was even online before anyone else was even close. And look at its size so much power in such a little box i still can`t beleive it wasn`t a hit. Why exactly did the dreamcast do so bad?

Kraft
05-10-2002, 09:23 AM
Wow, thats some old news. If I remember right, that was pre-price cut too. I haven't seen any number since MS dropped the price there, I would be kinda interested to see that if anyone has come across it though...

hellook
05-10-2002, 09:37 AM
the xbox is with out a doubt the best console
thats not up 4 grabs
but the sales figurs dont look good now i think there will be a sales explosin coming soon (near fall) and that will be becaz the xbox live(thats what there calling it) will be unbeleaveable microsoft has 10x the man power, tech, $$ i think it will chang the gaming industry 4 the better.
and ferther more i dont care what the jap's think:eek:

stevnso117
05-10-2002, 09:45 AM
I agree with that hellook.

MaxgamerX24
05-10-2002, 09:55 AM
so do I

Stiffy
05-10-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by OEM Alien
xbox is failing becasue of 3 things
1. games WAY are to short for $50.00
2. not enough games ported over from pc (pc =same thing as xbox... win 2000/direct x).
3. not enough fps games.

it's their own fault, and me and everyone else that owns an xbox are having to pay for it. $%@#%@$#^#
oh well, back to pc gaming till some quality games start showing up. :eek:

Wow. I'm going to assume that you were actually serious when typing this response, so I'll try my best not to berate your opinion while steering you with some truth.

1. I've played every game the Xbox has had to offer. I've kept up on every bit of news since Mr. Blackley and his team suggested the big MS was throwing their hat into the console ring. I've read the quarterly earnings. I've read the forum posts. And not once, NOT ONCE, did any of these mediums even slightly suggest (with factual information) that the Xbox is or is not doing well because of the length of their games. Let's look at some of the games that have been exclusive to the Xbox so far: JSRF, DOA3, Bloodwake, Halo...these are just a few. Too short? None of these genres were any shorter, or significantly longer, than the Gamecube's or the PS2's offerings. As far as the other games that have had their play on other systems...yes some were shorter than others, but overall they were fine in length. If you're a PC gamer, addicted to the style of Everquest and the like, then yes, your expectations for the length of games on the Xbox or any other console for that matter won't be met....that is until games like Morrowind, Fable, and whatever online games come out. I'm getting real tired of what people should expect for their $50, as in it seems like we as gamers don't know why we should expect to pay as much for Max Payne when the last Final Fantasy was twice as long. What exactly is your complaint here? You pay the same rate for movies, even though Saving Private Ryan was a "bit" longer than Serendipity. You pay the same rate for a standard music CD, even though one album had two or three more songs than the other. Let's break down that $50. The typical game usually clocks around 15 hours of gameplay. So, that's about $3.33 cents of entertainment per hour. Factor in any multiplayer aspects, extra characters to solve the game for extra endings, weapons, etc. and you've got a game that gives you countless hours of entertainment for pennies an hour. Example: I've solved Halo on every difficulty. I've played 16 person LAN every Monday night since the launch of the system. That little game has given me well over 100 hours of entertainment...and at 100 hours that means it's cost me 0.5 cents an hour to play. Here's the deal: you want a longer game? Read reviews and see how long the game lasts. Not long enough? Don't buy the game. But don't claim that the Xbox is failing because YOU don't think the games are long enough.

2. Here we go again...the whole PC connection thing. So, what exactly makes it a PC? The fact that you have to plug it into a wall? The fact that a company FINALLY did it right and put a hard drive in the system so that we, as consumers, don't have to buy countless memory cards, are able to add on to games, and are enabled play the music we want to hear while playing? THAT makes it a PC? If you think so, then you've offended every PC developer out there. If you think so, then where's my Microsoft Word file? Why can't I print a document from my Xbox? Where's my mouse? Where's my keyboard? Why can't I do instant messanger? Why can't I use Excel in it? Why can't I have a wireless Internet connection? Why can't I burn music from it? Listen up...consoles have been "borrowing" innovations from the computer ever since Pong arrived. Listen up....Sony wanted to have an upgradeable system with the PS1, but couldn't because of costs back then. Listen up...the Dreamcast, the N64, the PS1 & 2, and the Gamecube have "PC"-esque components in them. But they're not PC's. So, don't expect the ports...you have a computer anyways, so why would you want Xbox to have the same games your computer has?

3. So you think the third MAJOR reason for Xboxs' sales are because of the lack of FPS? That's it? I mean, forget about the fact that the Xbox has been touted as having the best overall representation of genres for such a young system. Forget that such a young system already has one of the most successful FPS' in gaming history. And, forget the fact that the Gamecube, which is doing better than the Xbox in Japan, only has one FPS available. The Xbox isn't failing. Given the fact that this is MS's first time in the console business, it's doing quite well. But, it's new. People don't like new. They like comfort. They trust the company that has "been around the block" for awhile.

It seems your opinions are just that, opinions. It seems like your reasons aren't based on anything but your own desires. Don't get me wrong...that's good. Developers listen to gamers. But, if you're going to come in and offer discussion, bring something other than basic opinions that have been spouted countless times before. Without facts, they seem trite, old, and outdated.

Kraft
05-10-2002, 10:26 AM
Well stiffy, that is a fairly well thought out answer and I agree with your responces to number 1 and 3, but Im not sure I am with you on two. Personally, I think the Xbox IS a computer and to not think so would sort of be an 'insult' to people who building computers. If I decided to throw together a system with an Intel 733mhz P3, Geforce3 video card, 8 gig hard drive, ethernet card, 4 usb ports and what not... well, thats a computer, whether or not it can print documents or any of that. My computer right now cannot print, doesn't have speakers hooked up and has a lackluster video card... yet it is still a computer. The big point he was trying to make with the ports, I think, is that in theory it should be a lot easier to port from the PC to the xbox. Xbox, PS2 and GC all operate on different OS's with different programming packages and what not. When you port a game from one to the other its like rebuilding it all over again. Imagine building a car with all metric parts, then building the same car with all english measurments and parts. Yeah, it can be done, but it will be a little different and a big pain in the butt to get it done. Now both the box and a lot of computers have this is common: they both run on a windows kernel and they both use directX in their programming architecture. Now if you build a car with metric measurements and what not, you don't have to change it to rebuild it. maybe just give it a new paint job or something... ok, this analogy is going nowhere, im done with it. point remains the same either way.

Stiffy
05-10-2002, 10:35 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly KraftSLU. You are right, the Xbox is a computer, just like the calculator that's sitting to my right is a computer. But it's not a PC in the common sense of the term, as OEM Alien suggested. You know the difference, I know the difference. But the connotation of paralleling any console to a PC is a negative one these days. I don't know why, but it is...probably because one of the biggest reasons people who play consoles don't play on PC's is because they know they don't have to upgrade their console consistently. I mean, ultimately, I would LOVE to have a console serve as a PC. Until then, I have a laptop for work, and my consoles for play. One more thing, and this is for OEM Alien: let's pretend the Xbox WAS sold as a PC. Let's say MS put it right next to all the other PC's at your local computer store. Do you think people who bought it would claim it was a great PC? Or, do you think they'd be pretty ****ed that MS would try to pass off the Xbox as a PC?

MaxgamerX24
05-10-2002, 10:38 AM
You guys sure know how to clarify things!

Stiffy
05-10-2002, 10:46 AM
One other thing...when EGM announced the arrival of the Xbox with an interview with Seamus Blackley (I think it was the November of 2000 issue), Blackely stated that their team doesn't want the Xbox to be a port pumping machine. I admire the fact that it hasn't.

hellook
05-10-2002, 10:50 AM
stiffy beat u in that argument easy

hahahahahhaha
games 2 short
hahahahhahaha

Stiffy
05-10-2002, 12:46 PM
heh heh, thanks. But I don't want to argue. I'm tired of people spouting the same things over and over. :) Heck, even what I wrote has been spouted before.

Afro Aura
05-10-2002, 12:52 PM
Well done Stiffy at last some idiots realise that the XBOX is not a PC, I seem to get this from some of my friends saying things like get myself a harddisk, graphic card, sound card etc and hey presto I've got myself an XBOX then I ask how much would that cost you "total silence" and a change of conversation

Marc
05-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Damn, you know how to make a point! Well done.

Stiffy
05-10-2002, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I truly don't understand the high PC/Xbox connection. I guess what I really don't understand is how people don't understand how every console has used the PC as inspiration on some level. Saying the Xbox is a PC is like saying falling from a two story window is just like skydiving.

Bloodshot
05-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Bravo...

<clap, clap>

Kraft
05-10-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Stiffy
Yeah, I truly don't understand the high PC/Xbox connection. I guess what I really don't understand is how people don't understand how every console has used the PC as inspiration on some level. Saying the Xbox is a PC is like saying falling from a two story window is just like skydiving.

LOL! Beutiful Stiffy :) I guess it would be sorta like skydiving, for about 2 seconds... Oh, and I hope that we don't see it turn into a port machine either... but there are some PC games that I would absolutely *love* to see transition, ports or not. And one of the greatest things about the "ports" is like I said before, they really aren't ports, as the actually programming would hardly have to be modified. Hopefully MS will regulate it and make sure we get quality over the quantity. (getting Medal of Honor: allied assault and Black & White... color me happy)

Stiffy
05-10-2002, 01:51 PM
Yes! Now THOSE are some ports worth...uh...porting!

Stiffy
05-10-2002, 02:08 PM
So, OEM Alien, any type of response you'd like to give? Surely you don't agree with me on this matter. So, let's hear it! :)

Stiffy
05-10-2002, 04:20 PM
The sales numbers in japan for the week of april 1-7 were

PS2 80,732

GAMECUBE 15,068

XBOX 2,179

DREAMCAST 3,427

PS ONE 3959

Those numbers look pretty ugly to me. I just know as a general rule for a console to be a sucess it has to do very good in japan. Im not saying x box is doomed by anymeans i think when they go online it will help alot and i think there online will be alot better than sony`s i think. But there again just look at the dreamcast it was a great system i still have mine it was even online before anyone else was even close. And look at its size so much power in such a little box i still can`t beleive it wasn`t a hit. Why exactly did the dreamcast do so bad?

Sorry, I don't think anyone answered your question about the Dreamcast. The biggest mistake Sega made wasn't with the Dreamcast, it was with the Saturn. They screwed up royally with this system. Poor support. Poor overall library. Poor launch. When Sega ditched the Saturn like a bad habit, people were wary to support the Dreamcast for fear of another Saturn result. Sega tried everything possible: free online gaming, great promotional deals, superb games. But, nothing worked. People were already saving their money for the PS2...a company who hadn't screwed the public over with the PS1. Gamers were also quite content with the N64. The Dreamcast, despite its incredible library, couldn't quite ditch the poor example the Saturn set for it.

stevnso117
05-13-2002, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info stiffy makes sence.

Stiffy
05-13-2002, 10:09 AM
No problem.:D

Anyways, don't worry about the Xbox. It may succeed, it may fail, but I guarantee you'll get some good games out of it. The only backlash of it being a failure is that there wouldn't likely be an Xbox 2.

hellook
05-13-2002, 11:30 AM
can u think of the possibillitys of Xbox 2 if Xbox does well
thats very "yummy"
this is the first time microsoft has embarked on the whole console thingy
and they poored out billons. they did not even know if they would come up even
i really can see the possibillitys:cool: :eek:

Stiffy
05-13-2002, 11:34 AM
No doubt Hellhook...the possiblities are mighty.

Either way though, we'll see what MS has to offer at E3. This is a make or break convention for them, given their lackluster performance last year. Only 9 more days...and to think I'll be there! Woohoo!

hellook
05-13-2002, 11:48 AM
i wish i could go 2 see E3 this year is going 2 be amazing
if u can tell us what u see about brute force(online possibillitys

stevnso117
05-13-2002, 11:49 AM
Where is the e3 show held at?

Stiffy
05-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Los Angeles Convention Center
May 22-24

I'll definitely give some impressions of everything when I get back. I'm bringing my digi-camera, so I'll post some images as well. And, hopefully, I can talk the developers into making Brute Force LAN capable. :D

Kraft
05-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Los Angeles, California at the LA Convention Center. For more info you can check out www.e3expo.com

stevnso117
05-13-2002, 01:07 PM
Hey stiffy let me know if they have any details on motocross madness 3 please my email is stevnso117@aol.com.