PDA

View Full Version : Xbox at $199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kidrock
05-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Thursday May 9, 2002 | hardcore_pawn

Xbox - Price Slash
By Todd Mowatt

With the Electronic Entertainment Expo two weeks out, Microsoft let the proverbial cat out of the bag earlier this week, indicating to retailers and analysts that the company will soon slash the U.S. price of the Xbox console to $199.

The price drop is expected to take effect on May 23, right in the middle of E3.

“The price drop for the Xbox isn’t going to be a shock to anyone in the industry,” said Edward Williams an analyst with Gerard Klauer Mattison. “Sales of the Xbox have slowed in March and April and retailers are becoming more vocal for the need for a price cut.”

Two other analysts, who asked to remain anonymous, confirmed the time frame based on the Microsoft conference call.

Williams said the expected Xbox price cut will cause a ripple effect at Sony, who will also lower the price of its PlayStation 2 console system.

“It’s not a slam dunk for Sony to follow right away with a price cut. But they are also under growing pressure from retailers to follow Microsoft’s lead to $199.99,” Williams said. An announcement from Sony could come as early as May 21, to coincide with a planned media event that morning.

Historically, a $100 price drop from $299 to $199 is not unheard of. Sony did exactly that for the original PlayStation console system, when it faced competition from the Nintendo 64 system.

“Dropping the price to $249 doesn’t do much for you; it wouldn’t give either Microsoft or Sony the incremental sales boost that $199 does,” Williams said.

The reason for the price drop now, Williams said, is that there are no big titles being released this time of year to boost hardware sales. The timing, then, is ripe for a price drop to create some activity at retail.

Williams said the price cuts shouldn’t be construed as ill-health in the interactive entertainment industry.

There were five times more systems sold at $299 during the PlayStation 2 and Xbox hardware cycles than there were during the last (PlayStation/Nintendo 64) hardware cycle. The adoptive rate for software is also 3.5 times greater.

The price cuts also make sense considering that Microsoft announced price cuts in Europe and Australia on April 26. Just yesterday, Microsoft was announcing a sales surge in Europe because of the price cut, with a corresponding increase in software sales.

Microsoft and Sony representatives had no comment about the expected cuts, but it’s clear that both companies are looking to make a splash at E3.

Retailers and the media have already seen most of the games, so Microsoft and Sony will be vying for mind share and battle each other with announcements and press releases. Beyond the price cuts, both companies are expected to reveal more about their plans for `online console gaming.

www.gamespydaily.com/news...sp?id=3403

JJaX
05-09-2002, 03:08 PM
I think everyone who bought the damn system in November should get a 100 rebate..

Whos with me?

faceoff508
05-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
I think everyone who bought the damn system in November should get a 100 rebate..

Whos with me?

I agree, or at least two free games!!

CyberBOMB
05-09-2002, 03:18 PM
yeah man its only fair. i paid $500 for my xbox, dvd kit, memory card, controller and 2 games. I want some free games, i dont care if its crappy games i want something. This rebate thing should show that microsoft doesnt want anyone to feel like they got screwed over.

Dukefan22
05-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Yeah, WHERE'S MY LOYALTY PACKAGE?? :cool: If Europeans got a loyalty package after the price cut, us people who've been there from the beginning should get two free games as well. If not, oh well, won't bother me too much....

DZNUTZ
05-09-2002, 03:25 PM
something would be nice, but don't hold your breath...their was a pretty big thread about this. guess we'll have to wait and see.

Crazy Joe
05-09-2002, 03:32 PM
why would we get $100 rebate, or even 2 free games, we have had the system for 6 MONTHS, the Europeans had it for A MONTH when their price dropped. I can see maybe one free game, but not being reimbursed the full value of the price cut.

terrapin
05-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew
why would we get $100 rebate, or even 2 free games, we have had the system for 6 MONTHS, the Europeans had it for A MONTH when their price dropped. I can see maybe one free game, but not being reimbursed the full value of the price cut.

I agree. Six Months is a long time to offer a loyatly rebate. It would be nice to have but i seriously doubt that ms will offer anything.

silvertrace
05-09-2002, 03:39 PM
someone mentioned it b4, but i'll say it again..........

they out to give us 3 free months of xboxlive if we can prove we purchased out xbox before this year started, maybe show them a receipt to prove the purchase date................i'm not lookin for anything great......i just want my piece of the pie..........:eek:

DZNUTZ
05-09-2002, 03:45 PM
i actually think i came up with a good idea....if they don't do any free games or the the xbox live idea...how about they issue like a lil book ...that consists of maybe 5-10 of $10.00 off xbox (or even MS titles) games. that way..both us the consumers and them get something they please their audience....while still being able to make money!

DrUnKtAnK
05-09-2002, 03:47 PM

Whos with me?

I'am right behind you :(

silvertrace
05-09-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
i actually think i came up with a good idea....if they don't do any free games or the the xbox live idea...how about they issue like a lil book ...that consists of maybe 5-10 of $10.00 off xbox (or even MS titles) games. that way..both us the consumers and them get something they please their audience....while still being able to make money!

*silver lifts DZNUTZ on his shoulders and carries him into the sunset...............

superb idea.........

:( wish i'd thought of it:(

LynxFX
05-09-2002, 03:50 PM
Yeah and I want $500 back for the computer I bought 6 months ago, and $5,000 for the car I bought last year. :rolleyes:

We all knew that it would go down in price. Everything does. When you adopt early you always pay the premium but I think the 6 months of gaming should be payment enough.

It would be nice if they threw in a subscription to OXM or maybe a free month on Xbox Live though. :)

JimmieDoogan
05-09-2002, 04:57 PM
I've only had my Xbox for two months and I don't think I deserve a rebate. Hell I think anyone who pays 200 for an Xbox is a crook. N E one not willing to pay a MEASLY 300 bucks for an Xbox is sad. Hell I spend more than that on my computer every two weeks. Any one who owns a PS2 and paid 300 for it and is going to wait until the price drop to get an Xbox is nothing short of a bastard ass theif. I paid 300 dollars for my Xbox and about 500 bucks on all the games I bought, and I know for a fact that it was worth every penny. From the people who make the hardware and games to the people who distribute them, they are all deserving of my money (except the ****s who made New Legends, damn that game sucks ass). If the price must drop to save the system then so be it. What ever it takes to make the greatest system made thus far a house hold name is fine by me, but I'm not one who believe's he's been cheated by the new price drop. If they give away stuff fine, if not, I have so many games (only 2 of which I've thus far finalized in their entirity) that I don't even have time to play em all. And I've only had my Xbox for two bloody months. Took me like 3 months or so to find anything worth my money on PoS2 it's pathetic. N E way, I don't think any of you guys should feel cheated. I think the PoS2 only owners should feel cheated, hell they cheated themselves out of a good game experiance for the last 6 months. Too bad for them.

chili325
05-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by faceoff508

I agree, or at least two free games!!

Im right with u on that one. Or maybe a free year (or $100 value)of the new xbox online.

l Maximus l
05-09-2002, 05:06 PM
I'm not holding my breath for any freebies because of the price drop. Like I said in the other post, I'm just happy to have owned this console 6 months before many other people has :D The return that I have, personally, received exceeds $100 EASILY!! And, quite honestly, I have saved far more than $100 in the past 6 months because I probabl would have gone out to bars or taverns and other places instead :D

But, I really think that DZNUTZ's idea would be a classy move by Microsoft. An XBox coupon book! Sweet! I also wouldn't mind getting the first several months of XBox Live at no expense. If you ask me, that would also be an intelligent move because it would kick off XBox Live in a huge way and recruit hundreds and thousands of gamers! Because, we all know that an on-line network is only successful if there are gamers on it. This would be a strategic move for Microsoft's endeavor, I think :)

stang46
05-09-2002, 05:30 PM
stang patiently looks for his receit hoping to get some free xbox stuff in the upcoming weeks:)

HaVoK
05-09-2002, 05:33 PM
wow... I didn't expect the price to drop so soon!

Plewis
05-09-2002, 05:39 PM
i dont think I have my reciept anymore...:( Oh well, I will check again if we get anything but if not Im not cryin... i got at least 100 dollars worth of gaming over the past 6 months:;)

MageOfTheMatrix
05-09-2002, 07:47 PM
How about a free Halo Online game once it's released with XOL? All those with the original (non game of the year) Halo would get it, which would be pretty much everybody who got an xbox in the last 6 months.

Seriously, I don't think we're getting anything. In Europe it was sort of like what many stores do. If someting goes on sale within a month just bring the receipt and get the difference back.

What would be nice is getting some of the games promised last year. By now I was supposed to be playing Brute Force online.

Oh well.

Anybody want to buy a PS2 for $250(suckers (am I typing out loud))? I should try to sell it on ebay this weekend. After that there won't be a point. :p

CyberBOMB
05-09-2002, 08:19 PM
you know what wouldnt be a bad idea? A free Xbox communicator/with Xbox Live software (no free monthly crap). Thats like $40 instead of $100 but if they do that they will help kick off the Xbox live knowing that they have all their Xbox owners using Xbox Live with Xbox Communicators already.

alexsktbrdng
05-09-2002, 08:23 PM
woooot go xbox

OEM Alien
05-09-2002, 08:35 PM
yep, time for a "LOYALTY REBATE". ok, someone startup an ONLINE PETITION for a loyalty rebate!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

wweomaniac
05-09-2002, 08:37 PM
I agree with the XBOXlive rebate... but I find the $100 rebate for just buying it in NOvember unlikely.

I don't regret buying it in November... so why should I get more??

smashnp934
05-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by silvertrace

*silver lifts DZNUTZ on his shoulders and carries him into the sunset...............

superb idea.........

:( wish i'd thought of it:(

Doesn't that hurt to lift deez (your) nuts over your shoulders? =)

HaVoK
05-09-2002, 10:01 PM
it would be nice just to get the free two games the europeans got

Fixxer
05-09-2002, 10:06 PM
No one should get free stuff that bought over 2 months ago. It kinda sucks that I just bought mine less then a month ago. I don't care tho, free stuff or not, I'm glad I got mine.

SkoalMint
05-10-2002, 06:00 AM
Personally, I like DZNUTZ idea of a coupon book. With so many great games coming out, I'd rather get a little bit of a discount on the non-released games than to pic two existing games. I already have the existing games that I want. I also like the idea of the free communicator or a few free months of XBox live. However, I think that there have to be alot of XBox owners who don't have broadband access. Therefore, this would be a waste for them. Regardless, I really don't care if the offer a loyalty package or not. I got mine on launch day and agree with many of the posters here that I have definitely had over $100 enjoyment from this thing.

Satch
05-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Well i think its BULL*****!!!!! im sick of the systems i get dopping in price damn it!! damn dreamcast..and now xbox?!?!?!?! that can only mean bad things when that happens. and ps2 has been at 300 for 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!! whats their freakin problem???? why dont they ever drop their price huh? all you ppl who think this is good are WRONG! damn ps2...why is it always them?!?!?! i wish there was a way to really rebel against them....sumthing big...i just dont know what....damn price drop!

Landc
05-10-2002, 10:39 AM
stupid europeans get free stuff when this is our system..

MaxgamerX24
05-10-2002, 10:42 AM
If Ps2 drops there price Xbox cant stay at 300 dollars. Xbox is having a hard time as it is and having the competition 100 bucks cheaper, Microsoft had no choice. But this is not good, Microsoft already losses alot of money per Xbox sold and now with this $100 price drop? Whew!

Satch
05-10-2002, 10:49 AM
God Freakin dang it....sumbody think of sumthing we can do bad to sony....i dont care how lame it sounds there are over 7000 members here and im sick of sony always being on TOP!!!! damn it lets do sumthing bad i dont care how bad it sounds. and i also thought microsoft had enough money to buy out sony like six times?!?!?!?!? why not....damn it and a lot of ppl think monopolies are bad...well damn it i want one! im sick of loosing to g - damn sony!

Rowdie
05-10-2002, 11:12 AM
I'd be real happy to get some discounts:) MS published games, free XOL time, stuff like that. How 'bout a frig'n T-shirt! I can't believe there's not a lot more special edition stuff. I'd be all over that swag! If I'm one of the first 5K or so to sign up for XOL they should send my azz a free shirt.

Well, more power to you guys, but my money is on no free chit for US.

Spike Minoda
05-10-2002, 12:16 PM
Microsoft needs to check some reciepts and then give $100 dollars in games or free xbox live for 6 months! that would be nice. I think i will e-mail microsoft... now

Marc
05-10-2002, 01:27 PM
I've had my xbox since November 15th when it was released and I don't think I deserve to get anything back. As Maximus has already stated, I feel like I got way more than 100 dollars in enjoyment from my xbox AND it probably did save me money by keeping me home instead of out at the bars drinking it up. It's a fact, and I'm sure Maximus will back me up on this, beer bought at a grocery store is way cheaper than beer bought at a bar.
I would love it if Microsoft were to hook us up with something free like a month of xbox live, coupons, or a communicator, but they certainly have no obligation to do so. I'm just glad they are lowering the price so some of my cheap assed friends will buy an xbox.

Ninja Scroll
05-10-2002, 01:48 PM
I dont care what anyone says, I will feel cheated if MS drops their price this d@mn soon!
If they are that pressed to boost sales, then so be it.
But us early Xbox adopters should be compinsated in some way shape or form.
But i'd advice no one to hold their breath.
:(

FaTBoi702
05-10-2002, 11:18 PM
or a complementary ps2 or gc, (shut up fanboys)

Xbox Masta 4
05-11-2002, 10:02 AM
Buying the system a day before the price drop! LOL...that would suck so much! I don't really know why they would do the price drop already but MS has the money to do just a thing. Like they said PSX dropped there money and had a competetion against N64, well its gonna be MS vs. GC and then PS2 will be out of it. I can't believe PS2 hasn't drop already, how long has it been like 1 to 3 years it's been out....man that along time!:)

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by kidrock
Thursday May 9, 2002 | hardcore_pawn

Xbox - Price Slash
By Todd Mowatt

With the Electronic Entertainment Expo two weeks out, Microsoft let the proverbial cat out of the bag earlier this week, indicating to retailers and analysts that the company will soon slash the U.S. price of the Xbox console to $199.

The price drop is expected to take effect on May 23, right in the middle of E3.

“The price drop for the Xbox isn’t going to be a shock to anyone in the industry,” said Edward Williams an analyst with Gerard Klauer Mattison. “Sales of the Xbox have slowed in March and April and retailers are becoming more vocal for the need for a price cut.”

Two other analysts, who asked to remain anonymous, confirmed the time frame based on the Microsoft conference call.

Williams said the expected Xbox price cut will cause a ripple effect at Sony, who will also lower the price of its PlayStation 2 console system.

“It’s not a slam dunk for Sony to follow right away with a price cut. But they are also under growing pressure from retailers to follow Microsoft’s lead to $199.99,” Williams said. An announcement from Sony could come as early as May 21, to coincide with a planned media event that morning.

Historically, a $100 price drop from $299 to $199 is not unheard of. Sony did exactly that for the original PlayStation console system, when it faced competition from the Nintendo 64 system.

“Dropping the price to $249 doesn’t do much for you; it wouldn’t give either Microsoft or Sony the incremental sales boost that $199 does,” Williams said.

The reason for the price drop now, Williams said, is that there are no big titles being released this time of year to boost hardware sales. The timing, then, is ripe for a price drop to create some activity at retail.

Williams said the price cuts shouldn’t be construed as ill-health in the interactive entertainment industry.

There were five times more systems sold at $299 during the PlayStation 2 and Xbox hardware cycles than there were during the last (PlayStation/Nintendo 64) hardware cycle. The adoptive rate for software is also 3.5 times greater.

The price cuts also make sense considering that Microsoft announced price cuts in Europe and Australia on April 26. Just yesterday, Microsoft was announcing a sales surge in Europe because of the price cut, with a corresponding increase in software sales.

Microsoft and Sony representatives had no comment about the expected cuts, but it’s clear that both companies are looking to make a splash at E3.

Retailers and the media have already seen most of the games, so Microsoft and Sony will be vying for mind share and battle each other with announcements and press releases. Beyond the price cuts, both companies are expected to reveal more about their plans for `online console gaming.

www.gamespydaily.com/news...sp?id=3403
i am not!who needs 100 $ when u can be a loyal ms customer!

No Fear 23
05-11-2002, 04:50 PM
im mad about that. but i dont care if ms does not give us something in return for buying xbox before the price droped.

xbrion
05-11-2002, 09:13 PM
ok, I´m from Mexico and I get my console from the Us at the price of 300 + 35 of tax that equal 335, so any sucker at my school can buy it now, where is microsoft head at? hey bill gates why you betray the loyal xbox fans by slicin the price, if I got the Comprobant from Best Buy that I buy it for 300 can I get some stuff free ? 2 controls wont be bad.

Razzle Dazzle
05-12-2002, 04:17 AM
Instead of being upset about Loyalty packages, let's look at the bright side: more people will be buying xboxes now! Yay!!! My manager, for example, will be getting one, now, and tha is a good thing. :) Plus, atleast you guys have had yours to play for the last 6 months. ;)

OEM Alien
05-12-2002, 09:04 AM

Whos with me? me! i'll take a free cable modem or one years free internet access via broadbnd instead of a $100.00 rebate. that is, if they were to offer it. :rolleyes:

FuNkY mOnK
05-12-2002, 09:31 AM
I say we need this machine to stay in the game so we don’t have to resort to Sony for our gaming hunger that only xbox can provide. So instead of crying about the hundred dollars that didn’t bother you nov 15th show your support.

On a technical issue, Sony would have to drop the ps2 down to 60.00 to justify the 139.00 dollar add-ons, so the question the casual gamer would have to ask themselves do I buy the xbox with more kaboom for the dollar? Or ps2 at 299.00 with out the add-ons, if Sony doesn’t compete with the price drop. Either way, the goal of ms is to get more systems out to the main stream to attract more developers. So if Sony thinks ps2 is such a hot commodity, xbox just got hotter.