PDA

View Full Version : XBOX2 in 2006?

Hugh_Jass
05-09-2002, 11:07 PM
PS3 in 2005 = XBOX2 in 2006?

Sony Begins Development Of New Console

Japan's Kyodo News agency revealed that Sony has started working on the next PlayStation console, which is scheduled for release in 2005. The PS2's successor will be designed with a high-speed Internet connection, and its processor is expected to be around "200 times faster than those currently installed in personal computers and game units". Developing that chip will cost Sony about $400 million. The new PlayStation will also be designed to run games without disc-based media, the Kyodo report said.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/industry_news_display.php?story=1172

MidniteArrow
05-09-2002, 11:18 PM
I would think that Microsoft would want to beat them to the floor with the next gen system. I'd expect Xbox2 to be released near to when (more likely at the same time or just before) the PS3 is released.

MidniteArrow
05-09-2002, 11:21 PM
Is this quote correct?

I remember getting into a debate earlier on this subject and the person I was debating with quoted this a little differently. My interpretation of his quote put this at around a 200 - 400 GHz system. Based on the quote that is presented for this thread, the PS3's processor could be as slow as the current Xbox proc. I guarantee if you look around you can find a 4 MHz processor in a PC and in a game console. It sounds like wordsmithing to me.

kiz10
05-09-2002, 11:21 PM
i believe xbox 2 will not be released until 2006 because if a console is rushed to be brought into the market, history says it fails!!!

HaVoK
05-09-2002, 11:25 PM
my question is who cares? I mean...the XBOX just came out!

obsidian
05-10-2002, 03:18 AM
Run games without disc based media, wot the hells that?? download your games from the net? No thanks when I pay my hard earned money over I wanna hold it in my hand

LynxFX
05-10-2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by obsidian
Run games without disc based media, wot the hells that?? download your games from the net? No thanks when I pay my hard earned money over I wanna hold it in my hand

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think that this philosophy by Sony is going to work with the general public. People don't like paying for media that they can't hold. Now if they go another way and say make it a subscription service like $50 a month and you can play any and all the games you want then it would be worth it...maybe. I don't think broadband will be up for that by 2005 though, especially since games will probably be huge in filesize. No way I'm waiting for that to download.

SkoalMint
05-10-2002, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

Now if they go another way and say make it a subscription service like $50 a month and you can play any and all the games you want then it would be worth it...maybe.

I agree. Anyone have the Sega Channel for Genesis? You didn't get all of the games all of the time, but you got about 50 games a month. Each month they pulled about 10 or 15 games and added 10 or 15 more. Great service, I would love to see something like that.

DrUnKtAnK
05-10-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by SkoalMint

I agree. Anyone have the Sega Channel for Genesis? You didn't get all of the games all of the time, but you got about 50 games a month. Each month they pulled about 10 or 15 games and added 10 or 15 more. Great service, I would love to see something like that.

I had something similar to that channel. It had all the oldy but goddie games, sh*t I think it was almost 8 years ago, but it kept my roomates and I entertained.....

Spike Minoda
05-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by MidniteArrow
Is this quote correct?

I remember getting into a debate earlier on this subject and the person I was debating with quoted this a little differently. My interpretation of his quote put this at around a 200 - 400 GHz system. Based on the quote that is presented for this thread, the PS3's processor could be as slow as the current Xbox proc. I guarantee if you look around you can find a 4 MHz processor in a PC and in a game console. It sounds like wordsmithing to me. maybe they meant ".200 times faster" lol

frog11983
05-10-2002, 11:49 AM
The new PlayStation will also be designed to run games without disc-based media

Just because it says that it won't use "disc media" doesn't mean that the games won't be in solid form. Who knows, maybe there will be a new way to store a lot of information by that time...

UltraMuffin
05-10-2002, 12:41 PM
"its processor is expected to be around "200 times faster than those currently installed in personal computers and game units""

That don't sound right... even for 2005.

LynxFX
05-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Yeah Sony can just keep saying all they want about what the PS3 'will' be but in 2005 I doubt it will have much more power than a high end PC today. Graphics should be better though.