PDA

View Full Version : If You're Interested in Morrowind, Check Out the Official Forum

mahalan
05-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Most of the threads during the last two days have been dealing with the issue of game balance. As it turns out, combat oriented characters have a challenging time early in the game but once you hit your mid levels and beyond the game is a cakewalk. Given the fact that they made the game completeable by non-combat oriented characters, this makes sense.

Unless you plan on playing a vagabond or missionary, I'd recommend doing one of two things. 1) Rent Morrowind for your Xbox. You'll have to return the game before its simplicity gets dull. 2) Buy Morrowind for the PC. You can use the editor to multiply monster hitpoints by 10 to keep the game interesting (yes, by 10 or more).

JJaX
05-10-2002, 09:14 AM
In this Morrowind forum is where?????

Nato King
05-10-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
In this Morrowind forum is where?????

I agree JJaX where is the forum too. I want to check it out.:)

YEP
05-10-2002, 09:46 AM
The official morrowind forums are located at:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

there are a lot of spoilers in there, so watch out. also, about the unbalance issue, most of the characters that people have been using have been the 'tank' like character. where they have the best armor and are almost invincible because of it. other people have said that they are having a hard time with the game because there character dies all the time. so i guess the balance issue is relative.

JJaX
05-10-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by YEP
The official morrowind forums are located at:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

there are a lot of spoilers in there, so watch out. also, about the unbalance issue, most of the characters that people have been using have been the 'tank' like character. where they have the best armor and are almost invincible because of it. other people have said that they are having a hard time with it cause there character dies all the time. so i guess the balance issue is relative.

Im guessing the people choosing the 'tank' like dude are the ones that would use cheat codes to beat this game as soon as they got them. I hate people like that. WHats the point of playing a game if you gonna make it as easy as possible.

YEP
05-10-2002, 09:52 AM
but those people claimed that they didn't use the mod to cheat. they also said that either they found those items are stole enough money to buy them.

the interesting thing about this, is that not one of them have stated that they have beat the game. so whose to say that they have battled to toughest monsters so far anyway?

SkoalMint
05-10-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by YEP
but those people claimed that they didn't use the mod to cheat. they also said that either they found those items are stole enough money to buy them.

the interesting thing about this, is that not one of them have stated that they have beat the game. so whose to say that they have battled to toughest monsters so far anyway?

I was just going to ask if they had completed the game. Would be interesting to know if they see the same balance issues later in the game.

P.S. - Personally, I prefer "tank" mode when playing these types of games. It better fits my personality and play style (tho I am looking forward to the thief play in Morrowind). However, that does not mean I am the type of person that uses cheat codes to beat a game. I don't hate people that do use them unless it affects my game in some way (Diablo). However, for a single player game, it really doesn't matter to me.

mahalan
05-10-2002, 05:02 PM
It's not just the tank characters.

The game incorporates difficulty by making it hard to advance your skills early on. This is because:

a) You only get credit for practice when you're successful. Your success rate is low at low skill levels and
b) Trainers charge a lot of money and vendors have very little money to buy valuable items.

There are MANY ways around this. A couple skills are great early money makers for training. Anyone who thinks through their transactions with merchants reasonably well can figure out a way around merchant money problems. There's some simple ways to do massive low risk practice.

Once you've trained up to a moderate level, you've got access to unlimited wealth and equipment. Additionally, whether you're a tank or mage dungeons fall before you like corn in front of a combine - unless you're a mage who decides to partake in hand to hand with absolutely no defenses.

By making the game completeable by virtually any class, they made the game too easy for the standard classes. Yes, playing a peasant aspiring to be a warrior with no armor and a cheap sword will be a challenge. Yes, playing a mentally handicapped sorcerer will be tough. But think about it, if these two classes can successfully complete the game; how tough will it be for a standard class?