PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind sucks?

Veno
05-10-2002, 10:43 AM
On the morrowind forums i've read people say it's unbalanced, and it's boring after 30 minutes. What's up with that?

Dar
05-10-2002, 10:57 AM
You can't size a game up by playing it for 30 minutes. A lot of people missed out on the greatness of Azurik for the same reason. What is meant by unblanced?:confused:

Spaztic
05-10-2002, 11:04 AM
I have heard the same thing! Thats why I didn't preorder it and why I am waiting for some reviews from this site before buying it!

shererboat
05-10-2002, 11:08 AM
personally im looking very much forward to this game, but wont have my true opinion till after ive played it for myself.......

someone saying its boring after 30 minutes baffles me though, how can u judge any game, let alone an RPG in 30minutes......maybe they just have the same attention span as the bombs i drop after a long night of miller lite:eek:

l Maximus l
05-10-2002, 11:08 AM
props to bryanhls....I think we may be the only two people on this site, seemingly, holding back and making sure this game is all what it's cracked up to be before buying.

But, I would like to add that it takes a real idiot to judge a game in less than 6 hours of gaming...especially action/adventure games and RPGs :D

Veno
05-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Max, I still got that question about the wireless network.

Kraft
05-10-2002, 11:13 AM
Here is a list of every game I have ever preordered to date:

Sorry about the lengthy list, hope it hasn't taken up too much of your time. I did almost preorder Diablo2 but then I realized that even blizzard might drop a bomb now and then and it wasn't worth risking my 50 bucks.

MaxgamerX24
05-10-2002, 11:17 AM
The only game I would preorder is Brute force, and Unreal championship. And the sequal to Halo if there is one.

shererboat
05-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by MaxgamerX24
The only game I would preorder is Brute force, and Unreal championship. And the sequal to Halo if there is one.

hells yeah, im def gonna get my UNREAL on the minute its out!!!!

MaxgamerX24
05-10-2002, 11:20 AM
When is it planned to be out anyway?

Spaztic
05-10-2002, 11:20 AM
The only game I have ever preordered is hunter....just because I get a free dvd and plus no matter what this game is like it is shooting right up my alley. I need a good gauntlet type game to round off my collection.

Spike Minoda
05-10-2002, 11:35 AM
You gotta give it like 6 hours... I always do that to a game. YoU gOtTa FeEl ThE gAme... Maybe I have gone crazy. That is not my original self!

Dukefan22
05-10-2002, 11:50 AM
Had a friend over at another forum that though the game was boring as hell after 6 hours of gameplay. BUT after 10 hours when he finally figured out how to do things, he LOVED this game. There's just so much you can do with it, who cares about unbalances, I know I don't, and this game is still high on my list and I'm sure will be one of the best 3 RPG's of the year.

Spaztic
05-10-2002, 11:57 AM
I'm sure will be one of the best 3 RPG's of the year.

isn't there only like 3 RPGS going to come out this year?

JJaX
05-10-2002, 12:04 PM
You can hear the mixed feelings over at

http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1

I read on review, and the guy was a tool. He said it was as pointless as a "quake" match.

I dont know about you guys, But quake is the bomb. It brought internet FPS gaming to a whole new level. This just goes to show that ignorant comments made by arrogant people can effect the opinions of lots of people. Dont listen to them. Morrowind WILL be a awesome game.

By the way, The guy who wrote the really begative review played it for 40 hours. He most have enjoyed something to play it that long. I dont even get 40 hours outta most of my games :eek:

Heres the post im reffering to:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=384269&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

OppiumNitrates
05-10-2002, 12:09 PM
ok ill clear this up since i have read alot on the Morrowind fourms. . . .

alot of gamers say the game is unbalanced meaning that if u start the game with a fighter type(coustom or not) then by the time u reach level 8-15 u could have some of the most powerful armor and wepons in the game makeing it very easy to kill guys and ravage through doungens and not very challeging. . .
but other say that they r playing with mage or thief types and having a difficult time with the game. . .

but the people on that board r mostly people who play alot of RPGs therefore they would know how to level up quicker and know more in general about an RPG game and how to approach it with a startagy to get good quick. . .

so basicaly the game is alot easier when u use a tank style fighter over a mage/thief/rouge who dosnt rely on brute strengh as much. . .
it all comes down to how u like to play your role. . .u like figher and the game might be a little eaiser. . .u like majik or to sneak around the game might present more of a challenge. . .

besides i read an interview with one of the DEVs and u could get though almost the entire main quest with out killing anyone. . .i bet none of thes dudes complaining about the game has even considered that option. . . .

on a personal note:
i preordered and all thet talk about unballanced dont scare me away. . .i dont really play PC games so an RPG like this comign to Xbox is great .....

i plan on using a coustom elf thief and i will be a nice guy and help people all day but when night falls u better lock your door. . .he heh heh

Kraft
05-10-2002, 01:31 PM
Hmm... that makes me wonder if they aren't holding back on the XBox game to see what the balance issues are on the PC first. Patching a PC game is relatively easy, especially if they are made to be played online. Patching an XBox dvd... well... that seems it would be a bit tougher as the game probably wont actually be saved to the HD. This is probably a good idea, as they are getting a firsthand look at all the complaints popping up and will be able to polish the box version!

JJaX
05-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Hmm... that makes me wonder if they aren't holding back on the XBox game to see what the balance issues are on the PC first. Patching a PC game is relatively easy, especially if they are made to be played online. Patching an XBox dvd... well... that seems it would be a bit tougher as the game probably wont actually be saved to the HD. This is probably a good idea, as they are getting a firsthand look at all the complaints popping up and will be able to polish the box version!

Im pretty sure thats what the problem is. The people with the PC version can just edit the monsters Hitpoints. And that seems something that can be done withen a week. So lets hope there resolving this issue. Even if they dont im still gonna pimp this game ;)

Azazel
05-10-2002, 01:49 PM
My brother has this game and he says its awesome. He is a huge gamer, so i personally will keep my preorder because I trust his judgement.

Also, where the hell are you guys reading all these bad reviews? Check out the link below for reviews. Most of these people say it is great. The only reason it doesnt have almost a perfect score is because of the crashing of some PC's.

68 reviews = overall score 4.53 (out of 5)
http://www.pcgamereview.com/reviews/roleplaying/product_1538.asp

Azazel
05-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Actually you guys kinda had me worried a little, so I went ahead and read every review posted (check link above to view). Pretty much no one said this game was anything less than amazing. HAve faith guys this one should be a winner.:cool:

Dre
05-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Ok..

IMO, getting the best armor and swords if you are the fighter type early on is not necessarily a bad thing. Sure, things can be too easy at the start but wait until the end. I don't know about you guys, but most games I've played the fighter class IS ALOT easier to play in the first part of the game whereas magic type characters have a harder time. I don't see anything wrong with that myself. Frodo had the best armor ever made in LOTR but still had difficult journeys.

I'm thinking that the people with gripes about this title being unbalanced are probably from the Diablo II crowd (I've personally spent countless hours on this game myself). Why? Well, obviously Diablo II is a much different game than Morrowind. In Diablo II when you play, you play for better items. Thats the whole thing with Diablo, the quest to better your equipment. If you saw those yellow, green or wierd yellow items on the ground, you made sure to pick them up ASAP!! (for those who don't know, regular D2 items where white, magic=blue, rare=yellow, set item=green and unique items where a wierd yellow/gold color..I'm referring to the color of their names)

Anyhoo, Morrowind is a classic RPG. What this means is that you will get most enjoyment from your experience by staying true to your character and doing what you think he/she would do in the situations they are put in. Its kind of like you are reading a book, but you are also writing it at the same time. I can't wait to play my wizard. I don't care if I find the "best staff" or not because I will be getting my fun from playing as a wizard and NOT just wandering around trying to find the best item for my guy so I can kick anyone's ass. If I wanted that kind of play, I'd pop in Halo.

Know what I mean?

Kraft
05-10-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Dre

I'm thinking that the people with gripes about this title being unbalanced are probably from the Diablo II crowd (I've personally spent countless hours on this game myself). Why? Well, obviously Diablo II is a much different game than Morrowind. In Diablo II when you play, you play for better items. Thats the whole thing with Diablo, the quest to better your equipment. If you saw those yellow, green or wierd yellow items on the ground, you made sure to pick them up ASAP!! (for those who don't know, regular D2 items where white, magic=blue, rare=yellow, set item=green and unique items where a wierd yellow/gold color..I'm referring to the color of their names)

And you know, for however different diablo 2 is, there is the same complaint. People have been constantly whining about unbalanced gameplay since it came out over a year ago. First the barbarians were too powerful, then it was fixed and necros were too powerful. I think amazon is the class that is too powerful right now. They are up to version 1.09 right now, 9 times they've changed the game to balance it out. Unbalanced gameplay is almost a certainty since people will figure out tricks and exploit them thereby making one class stronger. All you can do is say "ok, that class is for beginners then." If fighters are too easy to use, then don't use them. I don't know if there is a level system in morrowind, but I'd be much more impressed running across a high level magic user or whatever than a high level fighter.

JJaX
05-10-2002, 02:15 PM
Hexen Ring a Bell?

dougi3000
05-10-2002, 02:18 PM
Ok, this game may not be for a majority of RPG fans.

If you do not like reading TONS of text, you will hate this game.
If you are not "into" old english type literature or medevil story telling, you will also hate this game.
If you don't like to write down what everyone says, you will hate this game.

Each character you meet in this game says pages and pages of text, with weird names for everything, city, town, food, whatever. You should note down on a notepad which person said what, and what names correspond to what they want. Extremely tedious, unless you have photographic memory or a guide book or something. There are very few missions and info written in your "log book" when you encounter them, but if you dont understand the "world" you might not understand what your log book says.

The pace of the game is extremely slow. Getting from place to place is a daunting task. I would recommend you jump everywhere instead of running, as jumping will give you acrobatic skill points, and is just as fast as running.

The NPCs are really stupid and boring. They just walk around on a "track." They never do anything out of the ordinary. Depending on how you act towards them, if they hate you enough, they will attack you for no reason, and the guards dont help out. But when you attack someone, the guards will slay you instantly. (jsut kill them in a house)

load times suck in this game. Loads for about 2 sec every 5-10 seconds you run around. It is ok, when you stay in a certain area for a while, but when you go wandering around, it gets annoying.
Loading a quicksave is the same as loading a normal save, it reinitiallizes the entire engine and reloads ALL the data, which takes a while. I dont know why they dont have a quick load type loading.

The fighting system is done really poorly. You cant really tell how far away your weapon can hit them. If you try going right up towards them, they "slide" away. Pretty annoying, and you cant tell if you actually hit them, unless blood spiirts out.

If you can get past all these annoyances, you might enjoy the incredibly deep and large story line, and be consumed into their "world." I personally cant stand all the text, and the slowness of the game.

yall
05-10-2002, 03:27 PM
as some of you may know, i have been cruising different forums trying to get a feel for this game, as i have been anticipating its release, and then reporting my thoughts and findings back here. most people have had nothing but positive things to say about it, not counting pc related issues such as desktop crashes. quite a few hardcore rpg'ers are calling it game of the year. when i say hardcore, im not refering to diablo or dungeon siege types. im talking about people who spent their youths locked in their bedrooms playing the bards tale series, the ultima series, the wizardrys, and the ssi gold box series. these are the folks who know what a true rpg is, and that would snub games like final fantasy. if you can count yourself among this group, then there is no question that this game is for you. if you are looking for a hack and slash rpg light, this game may leave you bored and frustrated. i myself have a strong love for both rpg 'heavy' and rpg 'light' games, so i plan on picking this game up very soon. and if it keeps getting delayed, i may just bite the bullet and get it for my pc. i probably wont though, because i would like to support the xbox so that my investment in it will turn out to be a wise one!

mahalan
05-10-2002, 04:51 PM
It's not just fighter types who are blowing through the game and it's not just once you hit your mid-levels. Characters are mopping up entire dungeons at level 2!

Anyone who's a halfway decent tweaker will be a demi-god halfway through the game despite their class. Once your character's peaking, classes are irrelevant since all characters are the same at that point (there's no difference between major, minor, and misc. skills other than their effect on leveling).

The only people who are happy with the challenge level are those who are making slacker type characters ("I want to play a wandering pacifist monk"). Their characters will actually be able to finish the game successfully!

egg
05-10-2002, 06:32 PM
hmmmmmmm A RPG thats slow and boring...Go figure!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D