PDA

View Full Version : Further proof of Xbox price drop?

faceoff508
05-10-2002, 02:20 PM
An alleged advertisement could further support reports that an Xbox price drop is imminent in the US.

An alleged scan of a Wal*Mart advertisement that has been circulating online may lend additional credence to Reuter's recent report that an Xbox price drop is imminent in the US. The advertisement was purportedly set to run in Sunday papers on May 26th, but is said to have leaked early. The ad marks the system's price as $199.94--down from its current price point of $299.96.
Representatives at Wal*Mart were not available at press time to confirm or deny the advertisement's validity. Microsoft officials offered no comment. We'll have more on this story as it develops.

From Gamespot

l Maximus l
05-10-2002, 02:34 PM
The price is very likely to drop. I think it's a good move :)

DrUnKtAnK
05-10-2002, 02:47 PM
Here is the ad:
http://www.teamxbox.com/images/dailyposts/xboxsale.jpg
I also think it's a good move...for $199.99, it's a damn steal. Hell for 299 it thought I was lucky :D

Scarlet Spider
05-10-2002, 02:57 PM
good move, but ide bee kinda mad cuz i paid 299 for mine

OppiumNitrates
05-10-2002, 03:00 PM
seems kinda early to me. . . especially since the damn thing cost 400 to make!!

SkoalMint
05-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
seems kinda early to me. . . especially since the damn thing cost 400 to make!!

I agree. I know MS has boatloads of money. However, they are already losing a ton on the console. Obviously, a pricecut would mean they would be losing even more. Hopefully, they will see a surge in volume to make up for it.

l Maximus l
05-10-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by SkoalMint

I agree. I know MS has boatloads of money. However, they are already losing a ton on the console. Obviously, a pricecut would mean they would be losing even more. Hopefully, they will see a surge in volume to make up for it.

Well, one thing is for sure, Microsoft makes a lot of return on the games. It only takes about $3 to stamp out a game disc, however, they sell for about $50 :D

Kraft
05-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Microsoft is concerned with making money, thats for sure... but you have to remember, they are thinking ahead. WAY ahead. I don't think it will bother them if they lose a bunch of money on the box, as the more money they lose the more people will think 'hey MS is awesome, cheaps system and great games!'. Then up goes their fan base, they sell more consoles, then they start integrating consoles with their .net initiative. Microsoft is a marketing machine and they are probably concerned with things that most people haven't even considered. Im betting how much they make with the box is the last thing on their list of concernes.

MageOfTheMatrix
05-10-2002, 07:56 PM
NOT YET!!! I hope this doesn't go out into the media.

--Drops everything and rushes to sell PS2 on ebay--

DeathKnightMaF
05-10-2002, 08:58 PM
The Xbox doesn't cost $400 to make.

With the current price of hardware and analysts thoughts the Xbox costs rougly $230-$270 to make.

MageOfTheMatrix
05-10-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by MageOfTheMatrix
NOT YET!!! I hope this doesn't go out into the media.

--Drops everything and rushes to sell PS2 on ebay--

Done.

Rowdie
05-13-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by DeathKnightMaF
The Xbox doesn't cost $400 to make.

With the current price of hardware and analysts thoughts the Xbox costs rougly $230-$270 to make.

Some of these financial papers have it as low a 200. I don't think it ever cost four bills. Not with an real production, ie half a million. :cool:

GRAVEDIGGER
05-13-2002, 08:42 AM
I also think that its a good move, because the more XBOXs in households the greater the effect that XBOX Live will have. So basically Microsft is look into their lil' crystal ball and they see their idiea of XBOX expansion imminent.

Untill next time...:mad: