PDA

View Full Version : The Xbox design

Samwise
10-13-2000, 12:14 PM
What do you think about the news that Xbox might look a bit like a VCR?

Personally I don't think it's a bad thing, but I could imagine some people would like it to look more like a console - alá Dreamcast for example.

But of course we don't know for sure yet how the design will be.

Tom
10-13-2000, 03:32 PM
I thought the whole x shape was kinda nifty..but in the end...it's hard to say what the puppy will end up looking like!

KevinM
10-13-2000, 10:16 PM
Well judging from the shape of the PS2, which is basically a large square box, my hopes would be for Microsoft to adopt some type of shape to it... either rounded corners or maybe the front face plate being an elongated X? Hopefully the top of the box will feature a glowing X or something. http://www.xboxaddict.com/ubb/smile.gif

Either way it's still up in the air as far as asthetics goes until early next year. Only time will tell.

Underdog
10-14-2000, 02:23 AM
I definitely want the Xbox to take some kind cool and sleek shape to it. I really like Kevin's idea with the glowing X. That would rock!

matt
10-14-2000, 07:30 PM
i have to agree that it needs more shape. everything is just a box. the old x shape would have been pretty fly.

Ben
10-14-2000, 09:41 PM
I'll have to agree with you on that one Matt... I think the X shaped would be pretty cool. Almost every gaming console I've ran across was just a VCR lookin' thing.. Why not be different?

Samwise
10-15-2000, 04:34 AM
I think the X-shape would be cool, but not very practical... http://www.xboxaddict.com/ubb/wink.gif

RedOnWhite
10-16-2000, 03:39 PM
I hope it looks like the Phillips Tivo
unit - an ominous, featureless black
box.

John
10-16-2000, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedOnWhite:
I hope it looks like the Phillips Tivo
unit - an ominous, featureless black
box. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. I would love a real generic design.

incabrain
10-17-2000, 11:30 AM
I suspect there would be some serious challenges to getting the hardware to fit into a non-standard space - such as an X.

Would you pay $100 more for an X-shaped console?

I figure when I play the cool games, my eyes will be glued to the screen, not the console.

Plus - it would be nice if the unit could fit nicely into my entertainment cabinet.

I hope it's front loading so I can just slide it into a shelf...

John
10-17-2000, 06:07 PM
I always thought the idea of a big X was pretty cheesy. It's just too kiddie.. If it's going to be a serious machine for serious gamers, they have to give us more credit.

Tom
10-17-2000, 06:28 PM
Good point on the forward loading thing...top loading can restrict where you can store the unit. I could really dig a big 'ol black square..with a tiny green glowing x on the front when it's on/and or/ accessing the cd's/hard disk. http://www.xboxaddict.com/ubb/wink.gif

John
10-17-2000, 10:38 PM
http://www.dailyradar.co.uk/published/news/game_news_1091.html ...

Microsoft is planning a spoiler campaign to co-incide with the launch of PlayStation 2 in the US on the 26th of October.

It is believed that the main thrust of this 'announcement' will be the unveiling of the final design for the machine. The machine, so insiders who have seen it say, resembles a DVD player, forgoing the fun 'n' frolics of conventional games console design in favour of a more austere presence that looks right at home sat between your video and your Sky digibox.

Our sources have suggested that the machine is black in colour with lashings of chrome effect plastic in the shape of an enormous X right across the top of the machine. At the corners of the casing the chrome effect continues down the edges and finishes at circular feet, of the kind seen on top end hi-fi equipment. We've even heard that the famous green light of the early mock-ups will appear in the finished design, perhaps on the top or front edge of the machine.

The front edge of the machine features four joypad ports and a CD slot of the type seen in car CD players, iMacs and Apple G4 cubes (ie, rather than having a tray the machine 'sucks' the disc inside). Cool.

With the US PS2 launch only eight days away you can expect the Xbox news deluge to kick off any moment and we'll be first with the first pics of the machine. Keep it locked.

[This message has been edited by John (edited October 17, 2000).]

Tom
10-18-2000, 04:51 PM
Just got thru checking that out...should have read your post first! But, I'd really dig the unit to look like they are saying. But..I guess we'll all find out soon enough!