PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Siege?

sholmes983
05-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Why don't they make a Dungeon Siege for X-Box, it looks pretty cool on the PC and it's made by Microsoft (At least I thought it said that)

Sorry if that's a dumb question, just curious though.

Thanks

RadRider
05-11-2002, 10:46 AM
Actually Microsoft just publish it. The game is actually made by GAS Powerd Games.

I highly doubt this game will come out on console, nore do I think it should come out on console.
You see, Dungeon Siege is reminiscent of Diablo for it's control scheme - you point and click a lot. But in Diablo you only controlled one player, so moving that to a console is easy; however, in Dungeon Siege you have to control a party... I guess it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to bring it over, but there's another reason.

Dungeon Siege is very shallow. Talk to anybody who owns the game, even after playing it for 8 hours, you can't remember a thing about anyone in your party, just the skills they're good at. The game is very linear and not overly impressive. Where it is impressive, is in it's virtual world. You never see a loading screen throughout the game, and it's a smooth transition from overworld to caves and back again. Much of the game's value comes from the small visual touches, rather than the innovative game design itself.

Although that isn't a major reason to not bring it to Xbox either, I think it's the major reason keeping it from coming to Xbox. Especially when you consider how many raving little pukes go ga-ga over heavily story-driven games like Final Fantasy (yuck).

sholmes983
05-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Good answer, that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the help!

RadRider
05-11-2002, 12:46 PM
I don't feel completely right with that response though. I've been thinking about it, and I remember something else.

Microsoft publish games for both the Xbox and the PC market. When they introduced the Xbox, many gamers screamed "PC PORTS!", so that was one image Microsoft focused on destroying. Although other publishers don't care, and release products on both PC and Xbox fairly often, Microsoft are trying to keep the two a separate market place, meaning directly that games like Dungeon Siege, Age of Empires, etc. which are predominantly PC-like, will probably not appear on the Xbox. On the other hand, if a PC game has a console slant to it (like Rune for instance, although it's not coming to Xbox, and it's not published by Microsoft), then the chances of it coming to Xbox are slightly higher.

I hope that helps even more!

Brevity
05-11-2002, 04:30 PM
I love the game and hope to finish it soon. I would think that if they could find a way to get the controle mapped to a troler then this game and games like it would rock on the box. I love top down RPG's.