PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Modification

EXBoxer
05-11-2002, 02:59 PM
There is a chip for fitting to the Xbox here, I think it's so you can play imported games and all region DVD's

http://www.worldxbox.co.uk

:cool:

faceoff508
05-11-2002, 03:00 PM
cool

MixMasta
05-11-2002, 03:01 PM
thats cool, maybe we will get one in AMerica

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-11-2002, 03:45 PM
i am not buying any pirated bull****!

cornflake
05-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by PROUDXBOXOWNER

legal whore
i am gonna buy one

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by cornflake

legal whore
i am gonna buy one
bwa hahahahahahahaha

sinizuh
05-11-2002, 03:58 PM
have fun installing such a primitive mod chip... 31 WIRES!!! that's unheard of.

cornflake
05-11-2002, 04:00 PM
31 eh? **** THAT ill wait til they get something hmm a lil less complicated hm?!

Dilr0y
05-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Yeah, pirated crap is pretty much just plain BS.

Alien
05-11-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Dilr0y
I agree.

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-11-2002, 04:35 PM
100% agreed!

EXBoxer
05-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by PROUDXBOXOWNER

I understand that but there are also a lot of legitimate reasons to want a chip, I have a USA Xbox and live in the UK and I would like to play and buy pal games but the Xbox is region locked so they won't run, also I would like to watch UK Dvd's on it and USA ones but can't, now I really think that stinks that they region lock it :(

MixMasta
05-11-2002, 07:49 PM

i agree, why would we want to support something that could end the life of xbox....SCREW PIRACY!!!!!:mad:

EXBoxer
05-12-2002, 02:34 AM
i agree, why would we want to support something that could end the life of xbox....SCREW PIRACY!!!!!

Yeah I see what your saying but what do you think about playing all region DVD's and all region games, do you think this is wrong or do you think microsoft are wrong in restricting the xbox from playing these?

Hugh_Jass
05-12-2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by EXBoxer

Yeah I see what your saying but what do you think about playing all region DVD's and all region games, do you think this is wrong or do you think microsoft are wrong in restricting the xbox from playing these?

I don't think MS was trying to punish us or withhold great games from certain parts of the world. I think it's more likely that they are just trying to cover their a$$es so Joe Six Pack doesn't b1tch when PAL games "don't work" on his NTSC XBOX/TV.

It's more expensive for them to create multiple versions/masters for each game. I'm sure they would avoid the issue altogether if it were feasible. Multiple regions was probably the path of least resistance.

As for region-free movies; that's a macrovision/legal issue. MS doesn't want to get sued by the MPAA.

OEM Alien
05-12-2002, 08:55 AM
i speak for myself...
"The Soldering Iron is warming up right now!"
WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!
free games FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!
:D

EXBoxer
05-12-2002, 10:45 AM
As for region-free movies; that's a macrovision/legal issue. MS doesn't want to get sued by the MPAA.

I have searched and searched but can't find any regulation, or court judgment that stops any producer of hardware makeing it all region for DVD's I think it's more of a agreement.

Hugh_Jass
05-12-2002, 12:04 PM

I have searched and searched but can't find any regulation, or court judgment that stops any producer of hardware makeing it all region for DVD's I think it's more of a agreement.

Any manufacturer is able to make region-free players IF they pay the appropriate CSS licensing fee. This would drive the cost of the XBOX up even further.

The licensing organization that controls DVD technology, the DVD Copy Control Association has taken steps to exterminate this supply of 'region free' players. Its FAQ says, "In cases where DVD-CCA learns of such products, immediate action is taken through the manufacturer to have the product corrected to conform with the CSS license."

http://www.virtualrecordings.com/EFFtestimony.htm

cornflake
05-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by OEM Alien
i speak for myself...
"The Soldering Iron is warming up right now!"
WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!
free games FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!
:D

muyajajjajajja! Same here!!

orristur
05-12-2002, 12:43 PM
I would love to do this but i'd be scared that i'd ruin my investment! How safe is this stuff?

-Will

EXBoxer
05-12-2002, 12:44 PM
"In cases where DVD-CCA learns of such products, immediate action is taken through the manufacturer to have the product corrected to conform with the CSS license."

Ahh right cheers for that I understand now it's more of a licence cost thing, I did understand, maybe wrongly that there was some sort of reason that you needed to buy the addon to play DVD's and this was a loop hole to avoid some costs on DVD licence payments, I don't have the information on it thought sorry :(
I guess that if a machine is released with a set region and there is a simple fix to make it all region then they coulden't be held responsible for that.

EXBoxer
05-12-2002, 09:39 PM
I did understand, maybe wrongly that there was some sort of reason that you needed to buy the addon to play DVD's and this was a loop hole to avoid some costs on DVD licence payments, I don't have the information on it thought sorry
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Hugh_Jass
05-12-2002, 10:06 PM

Ahh right cheers for that I understand now it's more of a licence cost thing, I did understand, maybe wrongly that there was some sort of reason that you needed to buy the addon to play DVD's and this was a loop hole to avoid some costs on DVD licence payments

That's correct. The remote control contains the CSS license key for one DVD region.

LynxFX
05-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Right, and depending on what DVD playback kit you buy (regionwise) it will lock your Xbox into that region once you plug it in. So technically us in the States (region 1) can buy the region 2 dvd kit and turn our Xbox into a region 2 player. But then you wouldn't be able to play region 1 discs.

I don't think I will ever mod my Xbox with a chip, especially since it is 30 pins right now. If it is like 4 then maybe but I would rather do a software hack that doesn't mess with the physical hardware. And this isn't to play pirated games, I don't really care about that. I just like the other prospects for hacking the Xbox.

EXBoxer
05-18-2002, 10:18 PM
since it is 30 pins right now

The free one there giving away is 5 wires for unlocking the dvd

Shorezy
05-19-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by cornflake

legal whore
i am gonna buy one

thats hilarious and i'll have to agree with cornflake (except for the whore part). We'll just have to see though.