PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind add-ons, why not?

csoldier
05-11-2002, 07:06 PM
First off, I can't wait for my pre-ordered copy of Morrowind to get here & am a little miffed that the PC & Xbox versions didn't ship simultaneously as advertised.

I've been reading a LOT in forums where some PC players complain about MW being too easy, or talking about user mods, add-ons, and maps. It's almost been enough to make me cancel my pre-order and buy it on PC. I said "almost" because that big screen and 5.1 surround sound are too much for me to give up.

Anyway, to get to my point, why can't Bethesda make it where xbox owners could download the user levels, mods, and add-ons via xbox online or purchase a cd with said extras? I mean, it's not impossible, the xbox has a hard drive and TECMO proved that it could be done by releasing the add-on for DOA3.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want the best of both worlds, but why not? I do own the most powerful gaming machine ever created. Does anyone else feel the way I do or am i alone in this?

RadRider
05-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Assuming it's a code-for-code port of the PC version, creating such a cd would be as easy as burning several mods onto a disc. Provided the Xbox can recognize the disc, then there's two things that could happen.
a) copy the files to the hard drive like you do with songs (but how?)
b) if the game supported hot-swapping, simply boot up Morrowind, put in the disc with the addons, and select the addons, then put morrowind back in and play away.

But, I'm assuming they completely took that part of the code out. No worries though, you're not being gypped in any other way with this game. The core game itself should last at least 200 hours on its own, which if you ask me, is more than worth the 80 bucks it will cost. If you want the ability to play addons soo badly, just buy the PC version too. I did.

preetz16
05-13-2002, 05:47 PM
The question is this: Did the devs build in the mechinisms by which mods could be imported? One has to keep in mind that this is exactly what the devs of DOA3 did, and that's why they were able to put out an expansion. But it seems in all the devs insist that there are NO differences between the two, other than resolution and TES Construction kit. Since the TES kit is simply something to build with, not import with, one could assume that mods are a very likely possibility. But in the end it all boils down to that question, and I don't know the awnser...

Dre
05-14-2002, 08:08 AM
I remember reading a long time ago an interview with the devs where this question was specifically asked. He said that they were aware of the possibility, but that they doubted we would see something like that for ES3, but that it wasn't out of the question.

jspike
05-17-2002, 06:42 PM
It would be great if xbox morrowind supported mods. The mods aren't very big and maybe they could throw a few on the dvd that comes with the official xbox magazine. If they added the ability for the xbox version to support mods it would make alot of xbox users very happy.

RadRider
05-18-2002, 10:10 AM
It would be great, and probably not too hard to do, but I'd be really surprised if that option was actually in the game.
I'm still wondering how navigating menus is going to work. Will they make a cursor appear that you control with the mouse? Will [they] revamp the entire system so that it's actually easy to use with a controller? No videos show any hint of menu action, so I guess we just have to wait.

Dre
05-18-2002, 12:05 PM
The control scheme is much different with the xbox controller. On www.elderscrolls.com one of the devs compares the xbox and pc versions and says that things get accomplished quicker with the xbox controller scheme (as opposed to KB & mouse). So it should be pretty tight