PDA

View Full Version : If there is a price cut...What will Microsoft do?

Kamshaft
05-12-2002, 11:25 AM
What do you guys think Microsoft will do for the people that bought their Xboxes on launch? If their is a price cut.

Nothing? Free Stuff? Who knows...let's talk about it.

Or better yet...what should they do?

DIGITAL
05-12-2002, 12:44 PM
they should give us owners 3 months free of xbox live or our choice of a game

Xbox Owner
05-12-2002, 12:46 PM
I would be happy with one free game. I mean, you can't ask for to much stuff, you knew it was going to happen sometime, and also, you don't want microsoft to lose money by giving away too much stuff. So, I woud be happy with one free game.:)

orristur
05-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Regardless of what they should do, nothing will happen. I really can't think of anything, except for an old Apple offer that retroactively paid/offered anything to it's customers who may have bought something before a price cut. Face it, we payed for the priviledge of playing for a few extra months than everyone else. However, I did just buy my XBox two weeks ago . . . :-(

-Will

Duke
05-12-2002, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't turn anything down, but I don't really expect them to try and reimburse us.

Dr_J
05-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Microsoft doesn't have to give anyone anything.

You, me, and everyone else that paid $300 for the XBox aren't entitled to anything. We agreed to pay $300 for it...if you thought it was too much at the time, you shouldn't have spent that much money on it.

So, don't go having a kiddie-fit if you don't get anything.

faceoff508
05-12-2002, 02:26 PM
I wish they just give us one samll thing, like a memory unit or another controller!!

Scarlet Spider
05-12-2002, 03:18 PM
how would we have proof we bought it at launch?

Twisted J
05-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Scarlet Spider
how would we have proof we bought it at launch?
your recipt, or, the ones that are 199 could have a diffrent cearal number or code thing, its not imposible duffus!

silvertrace
05-12-2002, 03:31 PM
any compensation would be great......here are some of my favorites from fellow xba members:

1. coupon book with discounts on games, helps support the xbox and gives us a price cut on upcoming games:D

2. a free game or two.........wishful thinking:rolleyes:

3. couple months of xboxlive for free.............this sounds like the best offer, maybe a deal if u pay for 3 months you get 3 months free, this will get more people to commit for longer periods

like i stated earlier, ANY compensation would be great, but i wouldnt be surprised if we get nothing.....:(

MixMasta
05-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by silvertrace
any compensation would be great......here are some of my favorites from fellow xba members:

1. coupon book with discounts on games, helps support the xbox and gives us a price cut on upcoming games:D

2. a free game or two.........wishful thinking:rolleyes:

3. couple months of xboxlive for free.............this sounds like the best offer, maybe a deal if u pay for 3 months you get 3 months free, this will get more people to commit for longer periods

like i stated earlier, ANY compensation would be great, but i wouldnt be surprised if we get nothing.....:(

i like the xbox live idea but i do agree with silvertrace, dont be surprised if we get nothing

Highlite23
05-12-2002, 06:27 PM
I don't anticipate MS doing anything, there really is no reason.

Although a gesture of anykind would be appreciated, Memory Card, Controller, a game.

Anything would be great, but again, even if nothing comes of it i'm ok with that.;)

sinizuh
05-12-2002, 06:32 PM
A free xbox keychain... or one month free month to Xbox Live (best offer)

but most likely... Nothing

Fixxer
05-12-2002, 06:58 PM
I think the people with recent purchases (namely me!) should at the least recive a rebate. If they cut the price on the 23rd thats only 10 days outta my 30 day window :( 10 days earlier and I could get Future Shop to refund the difference!

DZNUTZ
05-12-2002, 07:10 PM
i'm with silver trace....

many of us xba's have discussed this...and while i think its doubtful that MS will have some sort of loyalty package to offer ( and i woulnd't be crushed if they didn't, to me the 6 months i've been playing is well worth 100.00)..

1. the coupon idea..i've been saying this for awhile."it gives MS an oppurtonity to give us loyal supporters a break in future games we purchase for or xbox ( maybe a group of 5, then dollar off any xbox title purchase type , possibly even only MS devolped titles?), whil also ensuring that the people that use those coupons..would also guarentee xbox more sale in terms of software.

2. the free month-months of free xbox on live suscription idea...once again..it gives somethign back to the xbox supporters while also pushing their new venture onto the public ( maybe even a contract could be mandotory...ei...get 2 months free if u sign up for a year, 4 -5 months for others who can provide proof of ownership via reciept of serial #/registration)

3. anything..a game, a perifiral ((Voicecommunicator,controller,memorey card)...anything would be nice.

but as i said i really don't expect much if not anything...IMO..MS has done its fanbase well...i personally have not remembered a more explosive and generous ( takng price cuts and so forth just to please its consumers and insure they are taken seriously) launch of a new system of my 18 years + of video gaming.

Snoopy7548
05-12-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Dr. J
Microsoft doesn't have to give anyone anything.

You, me, and everyone else that paid $300 for the XBox aren't entitled to anything. We agreed to pay $300 for it...if you thought it was too much at the time, you shouldn't have spent that much money on it.

So, don't go having a kiddie-fit if you don't get anything.

yea, i agree with him. just because they lower the price, doesnt mean they will give you something. its like saying: "i bought a car for 15,000 dollars, and now theyre selling it for 13,000. i should get 2,000 dollars back!" its just not gonna happen. the only reason why microsoft gave european customers some stuff was because they paid like 450 bucks american for the console. anyway, if they did give something to the US customers, they should give us a controller and 1 game:D

CyberBOMB
05-12-2002, 08:29 PM
I have said it once and ill say it again because my idea is in microsoft's best interests.

To all those who paid $299.99 for their xbox they should be given by microsoft a free xbox communicator and 1 Xbox Live disc (no free month). Doing this will make sure that microsoft's voice recognition is used by the majority of xbox users and those users will be walking advertisements for all other friends/neighbors who can see the xbox communicator used with xbox live. Im not sure of whether or not the Xbox Live software will cost money or not but i know that if almost every user has it they will at least try it one month (to test it out). If they like it then they will keep paying and also tell their friends/neighbors about it and help xbox grow. After all it is online that will make or break the Xbox and PS2.

CB

xbox addict staff, if you seek a new winner for one of your giveaways then look no futher!

Laxeph
05-12-2002, 08:35 PM
I don't think that we should get anything material really. I would like to be recognized by M$. I would like to be on somesort of priority list that maybe gets demos every so often or I would like to be on the top of the list to test out games. I dunno, just MO.

DVDGNZ
05-13-2002, 05:16 AM
Everyone should just be glad that MS is stepping it up by losing another $100 on the Xbox to keep it alive and kicking(@ss). I'll just be glad if Xbox sales double!

FuNkY mOnK
05-13-2002, 06:52 AM
I would love for Bill Gates and Seamus Blackley to dedicate some of their time to every xbox box owner and explain in full detail on a special web site live for one hour to How things are going behind the office doors, and how they really feel about the future of xbox.

GRAVEDIGGER
05-13-2002, 07:51 AM
This is quite an interesting topic. As a few people that posted, i too think that microsoft doesnt have to give anything to a soul. We have all took it upon ourself to purchase what we believe is the best gaming system out there no matter the price.

Even though it would be nice to get something...but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Untill next time...:mad:

Ninja Scroll
05-13-2002, 08:34 AM
I would want to be compinsated as most of the other Xbox early adopters, but I highly doubt MS will do anything to thank us loyal consumers.
We he got something I would be shocked, but I highly doubt it.
But you can always hope and dream,....but I wont.:)

FuNkY mOnK
05-13-2002, 08:53 AM
The people who complain should get a refund for a ps2.

Ninja Scroll
05-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
The people who complain should get a refund for a ps2.

WHAT?!:confused:

dave_m123
05-13-2002, 09:02 AM
The only reason people in Europe got the free stuff was because we were overcharged in the first place. How much was it in america when it was first released?

SkoalMint
05-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by CyberBOMB
I have said it once and ill say it again because my idea is in microsoft's best interests.

To all those who paid $299.99 for their xbox they should be given by microsoft a free xbox communicator and 1 Xbox Live disc (no free month). Doing this will make sure that microsoft's voice recognition is used by the majority of xbox users and those users will be walking advertisements for all other friends/neighbors who can see the xbox communicator used with xbox live. Im not sure of whether or not the Xbox Live software will cost money or not but i know that if almost every user has it they will at least try it one month (to test it out). If they like it then they will keep paying and also tell their friends/neighbors about it and help xbox grow. After all it is online that will make or break the Xbox and PS2.

CB

xbox addict staff, if you seek a new winner for one of your giveaways then look no futher!

Personally, I would like this option. I have a DSL connection and plan on subscribing to XBox live if the price is reasonable. However, I am sure that not every XBox owner has a broadband connection, and unless XBox Live is free, I am pretty sure that not every XBox owner that has a broadband connection will subcribe to XBox live. I still like the coupon idea that DZNUTZ suggested (I think he was the first at XBA to suggest it - I apologize if it was someone else). However, I'm not going to hold my breath in hopes of any type of loyalty package.

DrUnKtAnK
05-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by dave_m123
The only reason people in Europe got the free stuff was because we were overcharged in the first place. How much was it in america when it was first released?

$299.00 US, but alot of stores here made you buy a bundle...

What I paid at lauch on 11-15-2001 @ 09:58:52 at Circuit City
$299.00 - XBOX
$49.99 - PGR
$49.99 - NFL Fever 2002
$35.99 - 2nd. Controller

Total = $435.97
Sales Tax = $26.16
Total Purchase = $462.13

Fun and amazment = Priceless

dave_m123
05-13-2002, 10:28 AM
299 us dollars is around 215 english pounts roughly i think. Not to bad. Yeah theres a lot of bundles in england to but i went to a decent supplier to get mine cheaper.

Afro Aura
05-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by dave_m123
299 us dollars is around 215 english pounts roughly i think. Not to bad. Yeah theres a lot of bundles in england to but i went to a decent supplier to get mine cheaper.
hang on mate by my calculations the XBOX would cost us around $439 if we bought the XBOX at the US dollar currency

Just checked the currency rate £1 = $1.47

dave_m123
05-13-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Afro Aura

hang on mate by my calculations the XBOX would cost us around $425 if we bought the XBOX at the US dollar currency

Yeah exactly expensive stuff. So xboxers in america should feel lucky for having it so cheap initially.

how much was the ps2 when it came out in america?

Fixxer
05-13-2002, 07:44 PM
hang on mate by my calculations the XBOX would cost us around $439 if we bought the XBOX at the US dollar currency

Time to go back to school I think... Heh.. The pound is worth more then a dollar.

Afro Aura
05-13-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Fixxer

Time to go back to school I think... Heh.. The pound is worth more then a dollar.
err I don't think you've read the post properly mate, I know the pound is worth more than the dollar what I was trying to but across is that the XBOX would had cost us $439 if we payed in US dollars

Frostberg
05-13-2002, 09:20 PM
In all likelyhood, we wont get anything.

However, to keep us really loyal they wont mind giving out 2 million Xbox games. 1 to every Xboxer. It will prolly cost MS 20 Million total, and I'd bet that it would be helf that because so many people wont waste the time, or wont find out about it or do it too late or something. Still 10 million...thats 2% of MSs Xbox marketing budget...I think they can find the money somewhere and most important it will keep us loyal, and will spark future purchases...

Buf if they cant to give me a handful of coupons I wont mind...how about they give everyone the xbox voice commander thing? that would be good for them because if you have that, you are pretty much forced to buy the xbox live to test everything out...

Nerrad529
05-14-2002, 12:41 AM
Do you remember when playstation one came out they were around 350 dollars. They didn't give anything out when they went down. A free game would be sweet though. Or anything would be nice. Doubt it's gonna happen though.

DVDGNZ
05-14-2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Nerrad529
Do you remember when playstation one came out they were around 350 dollars. They didn't give anything out when they went down. A free game would be sweet though. Or anything would be nice. Doubt it's gonna happen though.

I got the PlaystationOne on launch day(September 9th 1995) for $300.

Halo of Flies
05-14-2002, 06:26 AM
The reason we got compensation in the UK was not only because we were ripped off in the first place (after all, that always happens) but because the XBOX had only been out two minutes before they cut the price. If it had been 12 months or so before the price cut then I wouldn't have cared about any freebies.

FuNkY mOnK
05-14-2002, 07:06 AM
relax guys and dolls. The real issue here is that M$ must pull this off to get xbox main stream or it’s sayonara mister big American.

Mr Blonde
05-14-2002, 11:33 AM
I can't beleive people are expecting ms to give them something.:eek:

Do you not understand why uk buyers were compensated?

l Maximus l
05-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Microsoft needs to focus on a strategy here. I think to the loyal XBox consumers that purchased their XBox back in November should receive a 3-6 month free subscription to XBox Live, therefore, making it the most successful on-line launch ever! We all know that an on-line forum is worthless without subscribers (gamers, in this case). For the people who don't or cannot get Broadband, I think they should be entitled to a free game published by Microsoft. But, I wouldn't hold my breath on either. I think this, however, would be a very strategic move if they went ahead and did it.

Also, I would lower the price of the XBox to $199.99 and bundle a Microsoft published game or a second controller. Man, I love console wars :D

Snoopy7548
05-14-2002, 01:53 PM
max has a good idea about that free xbox live thing. but theres a problem, what about all the people who bought an xbox on launch day or whatever, and dont have broadband? i think a free game or controller would be the best way to go, so everyone would benefit

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-14-2002, 01:55 PM
they should extend our warranties without charging 50 bucks.i wont be disappointed if they dont do anything though!

ftyards
05-14-2002, 06:03 PM
I think we should sell are xboxs on ebay for 300 and buy it back at 200 from the store giving us an extra 100.

FlyBoy
05-15-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by ftyards
I think we should sell are xboxs on ebay for 300 and buy it back at 200 from the store giving us an extra 100.

Yeah right, haha... they're hardly selling on eBay now for decent prices. That would be nice though.

dmasini
05-15-2002, 08:04 AM
Something would be nice... at least for people that have registered their console. I wouldn't mind having a free game!:)

But I also know they aren't going to do anything... They ARE just a business after all.