PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting (game renters must read)

DZNUTZ
05-13-2002, 11:55 AM
Blockbuster Ups Stock
By Press Release
05.13.2002 @ 09:55 AM

Blockbuster Inc., which already dominates the movie-rental business, is setting its sights on the highly competitive video game market.

Blockbuster is expected to announce Monday that it will increase its offering of games for sale or rent, gaming hardware and accessories such as controllers and cables.

By Memorial Day, it will reconfigure the game sections of 4,300 company-owned stores, taking out old wooden shelves and installing metal shelves that hold more games. Officials declined to say how much they will spend on additional inventory.

New games often sell for $50 or more. Blockbuster thinks it can rattle the competition this summer by offering a rent-before-you-buy discount and a $19.99 fee that would cover unlimited rentals — but only two at a time — for a month.

"We have a big business around video games, but we've identified that we're not serving it ... as well as we could," says Nick Shepherd, the chain's chief concept officer. He said games account for about 12 percent of Blockbuster's revenue, and the company hopes to double that by the end of next year.

Last month, chairman and chief executive John Antioco told analysts Blockbuster wants to become the top destination for DVDs and games, but he acknowledged that many movie-renting regulars don't think about renting games at the stores.

"We think we can fix that," he said.

Blockbuster's repair job could be helped by the buzz in gaming circles. With new console systems from Sony Corp., Nintendo Co. and Microsoft Corp., U.S. sales of video games rose 10 percent last year to $4.6 billion, according to research firm NPD FunWorld.

"Everyone who bought a PlayStation 1 five or six years ago is now buying a PS2 or an XBox or a GameCube," said SoundView Technology Group analyst Shawn Milne. "You're going to see very good software sales for the next few years. Blockbuster getting in is the right move."

Many small neighborhood shops sell games, but the trade is dominated by several huge chains including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Toys R Us, Best Buy Co. and Target Corp., and specialty retailers such as GameStop and Electronics Boutique.

P.J. McNealy, research director for Gartner G2, said Blockbuster has built-in advantages to increase its sales of games.

He noted that entertainment was Blockbuster's bread and butter and added, "They have the target demographics already in their store."

Americans in their teens and 20s are the most loyal gamers. Most of the top-selling games — "Metal Gear Solid 2," "Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3," and "Grand Theft Auto 3" — appeal to males. Game makers have been slower to develop content for girls, although "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" was a hit with both genders.

Many more games are duds, however, and retailers worry that after paying $50 a pop, unhappy consumers have long memories.

"Buyer's remorse is very common in video games and movies," Blockbuster's Shepherd said. "If they find they don't like the game, or they get bored, they stop buying games."

http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=3048

Ninja Scroll
05-13-2002, 12:13 PM
What's up with da TXB link yo? This is headline news on the homepage of this very site. Xboxaddict.com!

Anyways im not a renter, and never have been since the Sega Genesis days, but this is very good news for my fellow addicts whome rent oftenly.
I guess the pressure of Hollywood Video growing is making Blockbuster owned Viacom look over their shoulders.
But compo will always benifit the consumer.:)

Duke
05-13-2002, 12:21 PM
Personally won't go to blockbuster (and not only because I owe them $80) not really into businesses run by religious groups.

Remember the mormons were against caffeine till the bought pepsi.

Also, I though it was a rumor, but they do actually only buy the edited versions of some movies. I really don't need what I see to be regulated by my movie store. Fortunately for movies now, I have NetFlix.

For games, Hollywood Video has really started to improve their selection. (at least at my spot on the central coast.)

DZNUTZ
05-13-2002, 12:30 PM
doooh!!:( my bad..if i saw this on xba homepage u know i would have linked to that.

btw..i get everything free from blockbuster ...so this was just for others that didn't know ( i'm not a big game renter anywayz)

btw..ninja..i like your new lil samuri smile faces;)

Duke
05-13-2002, 12:33 PM
I'd go to blockbuster all the time if i got sh*t for free.

:D

Ninja Scroll
05-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
doooh!!:( my bad..if i saw this on xba homepage u know i would have linked to that.

btw..i get everything free from blockbuster ...so this was just for others that didn't know ( i'm not a big game renter anywayz)

btw..ninja..i like your new lil samuri smile faces;)

Hey dznutz, dont sweat it little trooper. You know XBA owns all.;)

And as for da samuari smilies, thanks yo!
But all credit goes out to my nephew "Brevity". He hooked me up with dem joints! :) Aint dey tight!

Nato King
05-13-2002, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info but in bermuda we don't have a blockbuster. This makes me really mad but the end of this month I go away from May 31 until June 29. Then I will be renting from blockbuster all the time and playing the games on my cousin's xbox he just got his xbox a week ago.:)

PROUDXBOXOWNER
05-13-2002, 01:24 PM
renting is not fun!i never rent!

OppiumNitrates
05-13-2002, 01:43 PM
i dont understande y people r against renting i mean y pay $50 for spider-man when u can rent it for $5 to see if its worth buying or just beat the game.

that $20 sounds sweet 2 games for a month. . .hope they start that around here