PDA

View Full Version : DVD playback

excess
05-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Whats the dvd playback quality of the xbox like? ive been told different stories from different people. Is it better then the ps2 playback? is it as good as a standalone dvd player?

Nato King
05-13-2002, 09:39 PM
I think that the DVD playback on the xbox is like anyother DVD player. IMO Are you looking into buying the DVD playback or are you looking into buy a DVD to play on it.:)

Kooster
05-13-2002, 09:41 PM
I must say that the DVD playback on Xbox is better than in PS2. Im not being biased, either. Ive used both. PS2's skips and the controller is annoying. Ive never had problems w/ Xbox's DVD player.

excess
05-13-2002, 11:32 PM
baiscally i was going to buy a stand alone player but an xbox is only about $100 more so im trying to find out what the quality is like

Nerrad529
05-13-2002, 11:34 PM
I would definately invest in an xbox the dvd quality is great you just gotta get the remote

tech
05-14-2002, 12:28 AM
My Xbox actually replaced my standalone Toshiba DVD player. My Toshiba is now in the living room. It works great and I have had no problems. I never had any experience with the PS2 so I can't help you there.

datalink7
05-14-2002, 07:05 AM
definently better than the PS2.

I'd say it is as good as your average stand alone DVD player, so pretty good for a game machine (note that average means better than low end). Probably not as good as high end stand alones, though.

SkoalMint
05-14-2002, 07:27 AM
Well - my XBox replaced my standalone in the living room. There wasn't any difference in the playback. Just keep in mind that the XBox does not support progressive scan for the DVD playback.

P.S. - If you wait for the upcoming pricecut, you probably won't have the $100 difference you mentioned.

Kraft
05-14-2002, 08:51 AM
When I first bought my box I had it an my pimped out JVC hooked up to my tv. My jvc had all the bells and whistles: component A/V compulink, optical out, 5.1, etc. etc. But after watching movies on my box, which also has component and 5.1, there really isn't enough difference to make it worth it, so I sold my DVD player to a friend for extra box money. Course he finally came over and played halo and ended up buying a box a week later...

l Maximus l
05-14-2002, 11:44 AM
The DVD player on the XBox is really nice, however, I have an HDTV and I want to get a new DVD player so I can have progressive scan. The XBox DVD playback lacks progressive scan (so does the PS2).

Besides, I would rather not add more wear and tear on my XBox. But, if you don't have a DVD player and don't exactly want to spend money on a stand alone DVD player, then, the XBox DVD playback is well worth it! I've watched several movies on my XBox and it works like a charm :)

DZNUTZ
05-14-2002, 12:50 PM
i can't comment on standalone dvd players...but i can tell u , from the perspective of someone who owns both a ps2 and an xbox, that the quality, consistency, and features of the xbox dvd player is better.

GokuX
05-14-2002, 01:26 PM
The quality is as good or slightly better than many stand alone non progressive DVD players. It also has a fair amount of selection features. If you don't have an HDTV then get the Xbox. The picture quality will be great, and you'll save space since you'll have the DVD player and game console in one.