PDA

View Full Version : M$,torn between to lovers.

FuNkY mOnK
05-14-2002, 06:40 AM
Well it seems that every time xbox gets something good they seem to go multi-platform. And also I see this being a problem in the future for M$, a perfect example,morrowind and kotor. These games could have propelled xbox to must have stasis, but it is being released on the pc almost simultaneously. My point here is that M$ might be at a torn between to lovers so to speak, one hand you need xbox exclusives, and on the other you have pc gamers who use your operating system. What do you guys think?

SkoalMint
05-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Personally, I don't see this as that big of a problem. There will always be the great PC vs. Console debate. IMO, the problems that have been reported with the PC version of Morrowwind are the exact type of problems that support the console arguement (i.e., resource limitations, graphics card problems, etc.) I think MS can market the same game to both types of customers (PC and XBox) without harming either platform. You are always going to have people that have the latest and greatest PC's. I don't think MS or anyone else for that matter will be able to convice the die-hard PC gamers to purchase an XBox just because a particular game is exclusive to it. Likewise, you probably won't be able to convince a die-hard XBoxer to shell out a couple of grand to get a new PC to run one particular game. For the lucky ones that have both the XBox and a high-end PC, they have the luxury of choosing which platform better meets their needs for a particular game. I think you will still have games that are exclusive to either platform as certain games lend themselves better to particular platforms. However, I don't think MS is hurting itself or the XBox by releasing games on both platforms.

I think I have rambled enough. :)

Kraft
05-14-2002, 08:55 AM
Actually, For those games its not even microsoft's choice what systems they are released for. KOTOR and morrowind are both 3rd party games, which means they pay MS money for the rights to publish their games on the box. Of course it is way way way more complicated than that, especially if MS wants someone to make a title exclusive, or 6 month exclusive, or whatever else. Actually, if you look at MS games in development you will see that NONE of them are going to be jointly released on XBox and the PC. Its either one or the other.

Ninja Scroll
05-14-2002, 09:10 AM
It all comes down to one word EXCLUSIVES when your talking about killer apps on consoles.

I dont think a game being released on the PC is as muc has threat as another console system would be.

When gamers think of Marrowind, they think of "Xbox,...and oh yeah.. it's on PC too".
You know what I mean?
MS could afford to pay these publishers for exclusive rights to their games as they did with Tecmo by getting DOA3 exclusive.
But it cost mad loot, more than we can all imagine.
MS has the cheese to cough up, but I dont know why not.
That is whats hurting them the most, along wit hterrible marketing.
We all know it's all about the games, adnd unless you have exclusives you wont survive.
Look at Nintendo, they have Mario, Zelda, yada, yada, yada.
And Sony has the record selling killer RPG's from Square.
Need I say more?
If you ask me I dont feel MS is a hungry as original thought to dominate this industry.

Kraft
05-14-2002, 09:20 AM
Current upcoming xbox exclusives:

Chase
Steel Battalion
UFC
Fuel
Battle Engine Aquila
Dungeons and Dragons Heroes
Furious Karting
LOONS
Risk
RX
Splashdown
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Hunter: The Reckoning
Gun Metal
Totaled!
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Kung Fu Chaos
MechAssault
NFL Fever 2003
Quantum Redshift
Sneakers
Whacked!
Shenmue II
House of the Dead III
Panzer Dragoon Orta
SEGA GT 2002
SEGA Sports World Series Baseball
ToeJam & Earl III: All Funked Up
Outlaw Golf
Outlaw Volleyball
Seablade
MotoGP
Lotus Challenge
Deathrow
Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon
Enclave

Plus whatever secret games debut at e3, which im sure there will be some more xbox exclusives. While some may not be the greatest of games, there are some great titles that are eXclusive!

DZNUTZ
05-14-2002, 01:06 PM
not trying to poop on ya list KB...but a few of those aren't exclusives

splashdown (already on ps2)
baulders gate ( already on ps2)

not to mention a couple that are on pc

GokuX
05-14-2002, 01:14 PM
I'm sure MS will have some crud exclusive only to the XBox that they publish themselves. Rallisport Challenge for one is AAA title in my book and I've not seen or heard of it going anywhere. I've not been displeased too much with MS. Give me a year and we'll see.

mahalan
05-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Like many have said before, the PC is not a threat like other consoles are.

Additionally, I doubt that Morrowind would have ended up being a killer app for the Xbox. PC players are already complaining about balance issues for the game (the game's great until your character reaches its mid-levels or unless you stumble across one of the uber-items early). Since the Xbox won't see mods like the PC, Morrowind's probably not going to impact the Xbox much.

Ninja Scroll
05-14-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by mahalan
Like many have said before, the PC is not a threat like other consoles are.

Additionally, I doubt that Morrowind would have ended up being a killer app for the Xbox. PC players are already complaining about balance issues for the game (the game's great until your character reaches its mid-levels or unless you stumble across one of the uber-items early). Since the Xbox won't see mods like the PC, Morrowind's probably not going to impact the Xbox much.

**COUGH, COUGH** you mean, like Ninja said! :D

Ninja Scroll
05-14-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Current upcoming xbox exclusives:

Chase
Steel Battalion
UFC
Fuel
Battle Engine Aquila
Dungeons and Dragons Heroes
Furious Karting
LOONS
Risk
RX
Splashdown
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Hunter: The Reckoning
Gun Metal
Totaled!
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Kung Fu Chaos
MechAssault
NFL Fever 2003
Quantum Redshift
Sneakers
Whacked!
Shenmue II
House of the Dead III
Panzer Dragoon Orta
SEGA GT 2002
SEGA Sports World Series Baseball
ToeJam & Earl III: All Funked Up
Outlaw Golf
Outlaw Volleyball
Seablade
MotoGP
Lotus Challenge
Deathrow
Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon
Enclave

Plus whatever secret games debut at e3, which im sure there will be some more xbox exclusives. While some may not be the greatest of games, there are some great titles that are eXclusive!

Okay, and let me nit pick whci j ones im getting off your list junior:

Shenmue II ( Best.Game.Ever)
Bruce Lee
Panzer Dragoon
House Of Da Head III
& Hunter: Da F'N Reckoning!

As for da rest of dem joints, dey can all collect da dizzust off da store siizzelvez! Naw mean playa pimp!:cool:

Kraft
05-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

Okay, and let me nit pick whci j ones im getting off your list junior:

Shenmue II ( Best.Game.Ever)
Bruce Lee
Panzer Dragoon
House Of Da Head III
& Hunter: Da F'N Reckoning!

As for da rest of dem joints, dey can all collect da dizzust off da store siizzelvez! Naw mean playa pimp!:cool:

and thats your opinion. thats the hardest thing about making a video game console. You have to have something for everyone. While I agree with the one's you picked, I know people that would go for all the mech games, because thats their thing. Im looking forward to risk and crimson skies myself. the Box has a big list of exclusives, and hopefully there will be something for everyone to make this system worth it to them.

Snoopy7548
05-14-2002, 02:31 PM
yo dude, this made me sooooo mad when i read it. did u know that outlaw golf isnt an xbox exclusive? its also comin to the gc! god this made me mad when i read it. http://cube.ign.com/articles/359/359380p1.html :mad:

l Maximus l
05-14-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
yo dude, this made me sooooo mad when i read it. did u know that outlaw golf isnt an xbox exclusive? its also comin to the gc! god this made me mad when i read it. http://cube.ign.com/articles/359/359380p1.html :mad:

I can't believe it :rolleyes: ...d a m n i t!! That sucks. #$^#% 4##@^$ $## ^%$#5435#$5 43532 #$%3%#$%#$%34%45$#%3454#%43%#4#!!!

Okay, I'm better now.... :(

faceoff508
05-14-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

I can't believe it :rolleyes: ...d a m n i t!! That sucks. #$^#% 4##@^$ $## ^%$#5435#$5 43532 #$%3%#$%#$%34%45$#%3454#%43%#4#!!!

Okay, I'm better now.... :(

NOOOOOOO........fuucK fuKK!!

Snoopy7548
05-14-2002, 04:57 PM
fu*k is right dude! lol. i thought this game was gonna be an xbox exclusive!! what the hell. damn it. when i read that, i felt like going crazy. well, at least the gc isnt getting hunter and unreal championship:D