PDA

View Full Version : Will Xbox "honestly" win this WAR!?

Ninja Scroll
05-14-2002, 09:00 AM
I dont think their is a bigger non- Sony supporter than I (being that I never owned a PSOne or PS2) am, but im worried, very worried about our beloved Xbox's possiblities of ever catching the PS2 in this current console war.
Maybe the next gen wars when it's PS3 vs. Xbox2.
But Sony is out classing MS in every aspect.
They just yesterday announced the PS2 will be $199.99 as of now! All their accessories have drops as well as consideration of their current new titles dropping from a MSRP of $49.99 to $39.99!

Yeah, MS will drop their Xbox's price at E3 to match Sony.
But dont you all feel MS is always 1 step behind Sony?
This war will continue for another 3-4 years, but this jsut goes to show you it's not about the best system on the streets, it's about the best marketing.
Yeah, I know, the online is right around da corner along with killer titles like Hunter: The Reckoning, Brute Force, Unreal Championship, ect.
But it's not enough without a game plan, and MS is not game right now.
I want Sony to fail at all cost, but sometimes you gotta just suck it up and admit our Xbox is getting pimped slapped.
I dont know what da hell Billion Dollar Bill is up too, but he better wake up and see the Xbox needs more resources.
And I didnt even meantion the stress & depression MS is facing in Japan.:(

sinizuh
05-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Xbox will always be one step behind PS2... there is no possible way Xbox could pass PS2 now... unless there's a defect in PS2's that cause them to explode, killing the player.

Kraft
05-14-2002, 09:10 AM
Of course Xbox will be behind sony, about a year behind. Im suprised that MS almost beat sony to the punch with the price drop on the box in the US. Of course when the PS3 comes out I think I am purposefully going to go to PS fan sites and spam crap like "XBOX has sold sooooo many more systems than the PS3 and has a huge game library while PS3 only has 10 games! PS3 sucks!"

Dre
05-14-2002, 09:23 AM
Why do you even care? Even if its second to PS2 in sales, you can't change the fact that its #1 hardware wise. Since MS has an incredible amount of money, I doubt we'll see the system fail. So, if its not going to fail, games are going to continue to get developed for the system.

So, to sum it all up: we have a superiour system but PS2 has a bigger game library and has been going for ~1 year more than xbox.

So.. whats the big deal? Do you want bragging rights for sales? I mean.. I couldn't give a rats ass who's first in this console war as long as I keep on getting my Project Ego's, Brute Force's and then some. But thats just me.

FuNkY mOnK
05-14-2002, 09:50 AM
M$ as a very good chance at staying in the game, M$ has to announce at e3 a large variety of interaction online games from rpgs,frag fests and sports. Introduce game hooks in every future title, a mouse and keyboard with a high-end 17inch flat panel monitor sporting the color of xbox with true vga signal. Then come out for the kill with all the high-powered games on a massive screen with dolby digital sound. This is what should have been done at last e3. This time around, at 199.00 Sony still as to convince players to buy the add-ons just to get online or to utilize the future advancments only found on xbox rigth out of the box.

heelfan71
05-14-2002, 10:05 AM
They might not win the war, but they won the battle at my house. :D

Huckleberry
05-14-2002, 10:09 AM
nobody "wins" this war. players come (ms) and players go (sega, atari), but someone will always be fighting it. to be honest, i believe that nintendo might be in the shakiest position of all. in spite of massive game support, they have built a system that can't keep up and, in my mind, will need to redesign their system on a shorter timetable than either sony or microsoft. added to that, both ms and sony will be redeveloping their systems at the same time. that leaves nintendo with a huge jump to make in performance.

if ms and sony can both grab any of the pre-teen market as they grow their systems, that will erode nintendo's base even further. as the pre-teens become teens, they'll be less inclined to want to play mario, luigi, and the rest of those character's games.

ms has got a lot of money to throw at this, but that is not the thing that will make xbox succeed. it was the thing that got xbox off the ground. the thing that will keep xbox on the market is bill gates' unswerving desire for nothing less that total domination (i.e. windows, internet explorer, etc.).

BORNGD
05-14-2002, 10:28 AM
"Effective immediately, the PS2 will cost $199 in the United States, down from $299, while the first-generation PSX will sell for $49, down from $99. Prices for accessories and extra controllers will also be reduced, Sony said in a statement."

i personally dont think this is good news...this might make the mighty xbox the next dreamcast? maybe? i dont know, just trying to look at this from all angles...i just wish some big gun games would come out RIGHT NOW!!! Halo 2, Toe Jam and Earl 3, morrormind, world series baseball, hunter, bruce lee...if all those games would drop the day the price slash for the ps2 went into effect we might be in ok shape. We need some mighty guns to battle this console war now...

i think we might be screwed :( bill gates will only take losing money for so long, hell every compnay would only do it for so long no matter how much money they have

Highlite23
05-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Dre
Why do you even care? Even if its second to PS2 in sales, you can't change the fact that its #1 hardware wise. Since MS has an incredible amount of money, I doubt we'll see the system fail. So, if its not going to fail, games are going to continue to get developed for the system.

So, to sum it all up: we have a superiour system but PS2 has a bigger game library and has been going for ~1 year more than xbox.

So.. whats the big deal? Do you want bragging rights for sales? I mean.. I couldn't give a rats ass who's first in this console war as long as I keep on getting my Project Ego's, Brute Force's and then some. But thats just me.

With you 100% Dre, nice post.:cool:

CoMATOSE
05-14-2002, 11:10 AM
with out a doubt the xbox WONT sell as much as PS2....and in that respect sony wins, but that doesn't mean much really, as long as xbox is selling enough then developers will develop for it, many as we have already seen because their visions can't be reached on other consoles, xbox and indeed GCN were on the market to late to make that sort of impact, if a WAR is really what u wanna see, then u're gonna have to wait for the next generation.

Ninja Scroll
05-14-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Dre

Ninja Scroll Says:
I care because without the impressive numbers PS2 puts up Xbox will have a hard time getting the stuborn 3rd parties to join them **cough*Square*cough**. And just because MS has da money doesnt mean they will win any battles.[/B]

[QUOTE] Dre

So.. whats the big deal? Do you want bragging rights for sales? I mean.. I couldn't give a rats ass who's first in this console war as long as I keep on getting my Project Ego's, Brute Force's and then some. But thats just me. [/B]

Ninja Scroll Says:
Actually I do want da bragging rights junior!~:rolleyes:

Kraft
05-14-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by CoMATOSE
with out a doubt the xbox WONT sell as much as PS2....and in that respect sony wins, but that doesn't mean much really, as long as xbox is selling enough then developers will develop for it, many as we have already seen because their visions can't be reached on other consoles, xbox and indeed GCN were on the market to late to make that sort of impact, if a WAR is really what u wanna see, then u're gonna have to wait for the next generation.

How can you say for sure that it won't catch up? I don't know if you remember back in the day when genesis was released with SNES following close to a year after. I remember the same things being said. "yeah, it has a little better graphics, but not near the gaming library!!!". Well in the end it seems that nintendo creamed sega head to head with that system. And thats because nintendo got quality games on their system. If the Xbox starts pumping out must-have games in the same fashion as nintendo did with the SNES, the box will sell, and sell a lot.

DZNUTZ
05-14-2002, 11:27 AM
quick question ya'll

who do u think sells more cars?

honda or mercedes?

which car is better?

is either going out of buisness?

which one would u rather have?

consider yourselfs among the privliged.

Msterrrr
05-14-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
quick question ya'll

honda or mercedes?

which car is better?

well said!!

l Maximus l
05-14-2002, 11:39 AM
quick question ya'll

honda or mercedes?

which car is better?

Geez, dude...no offense, DZNUTZ, but, knowing you, you should have used a beer example...hehe..jk :D

DZNUTZ
05-14-2002, 11:48 AM
(yea i figured cars would come across easier..for the non-drinkers out there:rolleyes: ) but here u go max...as a famous commercial used to say "THIS ONES FOR U"

quick question ya'll

which beer do u think sells more, budwieser or guinness?

which beer is better?

is either going out of business? ( i highly doubt budwieser is..and from looking at my gut i can assure ya'll guinness isn't about to:p )

which one would u rather have? ( say buttwiper and i'll kill your no taste having arse!)

consider yourselfs among the privliged ( that is if u drink the allmighty Guinness of course)

l Maximus l
05-14-2002, 11:52 AM
(yea i figured cars would come across easier..for the non-drinkers out there:rolleyes: ) but here u go max...as a famous commercial used to say "THIS ONES FOR U"

quick question ya'll

which beer do u think sells more, budwieser or guinness?

which beer is better?

is either going out of business? ( i highly doubt budwieser is..and from looking at my gut i can assure ya'll guinness isn't about to:p )

which one would u rather have? ( say buttwiper and i'll kill your no taste having arse!)

consider yourselfs among the privliged ( that is if u drink the allmighty Guinness of course)

hehe! NICE!!! :D :p

Kraft
05-14-2002, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately its not that easy. That analogy might fly when comparing the box to the ps1... but the ps2 and GC is a different story. Going the car route:

Gamecube would probably be the lamborghini. Everyone knows about lamborghini, they could probably sell a turd for 100 dollars if they put their name on it.

PS2 is a bit tougher. Possibly a ferarri. Still crazy popular, sells more than lamborghini but isn't quite as powerful under the hood.

XBox would be the nice MacLauren. Not a lot of people would recognize it, but it has amazing power and performance if you take the time to play with it.

Either way, I personally like all 3 consoles, though I think PS2 is on its last leg already....

Dutch
05-14-2002, 12:13 PM
I dunno what this will do to the Xbox. With the price difference it would show how much more stuff there is in an xbox. Like if PS2 came with a broadband adapter and a hard drive it would still hafta be over $200. I think we'll have to wait until E3 when dozens of awesome Xbox exclusive games are shown that people are gonna want to buy.

Dre
05-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Actually I do want da bragging rights junior!~:rolleyes:

hehehe, Ninja :) Bragging rights are always good I guess!! And ya, I wouldn't mind Square being on Xbox either.. actually.. I would LOVE for Square to be on Xbox.

But what my point is, and after re-reading my post I find that it isn't all that clear, the Xbox is MS's baby. It will not go down like DC and MS will do everything in their power to make such an investment become profitable to them. They know they need exclusive games that sell consoles. I believe that they have those coming in the near future (year or so). So many titles are coming out that are Xbox exclusive that I drool about... Project Ego, Hunter: The Reckoning, Morrowind (out on pc), Star-Wars: KOTOR, Brute Force, UT, Soul Caliber 2 (not sure if this is exclusive).. I mean.. wow. And I'm sure that once E3 comes along.. there will be quite a few titles to add to my list. As of now, I think I would only have Halo as a console-seller in my game list.

So whats this all mean? Well I think KraftSLU said it best with his SNES and Genesis comparaison. Once the titles start coming out for Xbox we will see a surge in console sales. Rest assured that the life of the xbox is FAR from being in jeopardy.

FuNkY mOnK
05-14-2002, 12:25 PM
as of e3 Sony will anounce thier price cut down to 199.00 for ps2. M$ should then anounce xbox to be cut down to 150.00 with a 1 year contract to xbox live.with some rebate on broadband installation and equipment. remember we need xbox in massive numbers, man, i cant stand waiting to see the game plan.

Ninja Scroll
05-14-2002, 12:28 PM
quick question ya'll

honda or mercedes?

which car is better?

yaaaaaaaaaaawn:rolleyes: I hate Sony's guts, but dont try to turn da other cheek yo! It's all about the sales numbers. Whether ones system is better than the others means nothing.

Yeah Mercedes,...er.. I mean Xbox is better than a average car called Honda. And neither will go out of business.
But I know d@mn sure mercedes wishes they had da numbers Honda puts up.
And you can deny it all you want, you know it's da truth junior.

Dre
05-14-2002, 12:32 PM

yaaaaaaaaaaawn:rolleyes: I hate Sony's guts, but dont try to turn da other cheek yo! It's all about the sales numbers. Whether ones system is better than the others means nothing.

Yeah Mercedes,...er.. I mean Xbox is better than a average car called Honda. And neither will go out of business.
But I know d@mn sure mercedes wishes they had da numbers Honda puts up.
And you can deny it all you want, you know it's da truth junior.

Not really.. this analogy doesn't really work well seeing as how there can be a price difference of 60k on the car. Compare similar priced Honda and Mercedes and I wonder what the sales would be..

Master Gracey
05-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Jeez! I can't believe how big this story is... it was the main headline when I signed onto AOL!

I believe that MS needs to drop the price at E3, and then they need to have a serious talk with developers. The biggest problem right now is the game lineup... and with the exception of Morrowind, the lineup looks pretty dry until September or October.

Since the Xbox was released, I've bought a whopping two games. My brother has five games, and three of those came with the package deal we got when we preordered our Xbox back in October. The games that ARE coming out are nothing more than ports (most of which have been substandard in every way) and rehashed storylines. Oh... how could I forget the plethora of sports and stupid racing games?

Personally, I can't stand sports games or racing games. I haven't enjoyed fighters (like DOA3) since I was 13 (that was 11 years ago). FPSs are okay if they're done right, but the majority of the ones out or coming out are sci-fi related and there's no genre in this world that I hate more than sci-fi (Max Payne wasn't sci-fi, but it was just awful). If it's not sci-fi, it seems to have to be anime or taking place in Japan or China, something I'm also getting very bored with. Where's the variety? For the record, my only two games are Silent Hill 2 and Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat.

All they really need to do is incorporate some variety into their lineup (along with a price cut) and things should settle down nicely for them... but I don't see this happening for many months.

What worries me most is that Sony is cutting the prices of the games, and that's something I don't think MS is going to be able to afford, since that's where they make all their money from Xbox...

Ninja Scroll
05-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Dre

hehehe, Ninja :) Bragging rights are always good I guess!! And ya, I wouldn't mind Square being on Xbox either.. actually.. I would LOVE for Square to be on Xbox.

But what my point is, and after re-reading my post I find that it isn't all that clear, the Xbox is MS's baby. It will not go down like DC and MS will do everything in their power to make such an investment become profitable to them. They know they need exclusive games that sell consoles. I believe that they have those coming in the near future (year or so). So many titles are coming out that are Xbox exclusive that I drool about... Project Ego, Hunter: The Reckoning, Morrowind (out on pc), Star-Wars: KOTOR, Brute Force, UT, Soul Caliber 2 (not sure if this is exclusive)..

Yeah I want Square on our team as much as da best RPG crackhead Dre, but it is not likely, atleast not now. But their is hope.
As for Soul Calibur 2 , it's mulit-platform. So it will grace Xbox as well as GC & PS2.
but we know which version will own all asses!;)

Ninja Scroll
05-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
Jeez! I can't believe how big this story is... it was the main headline when I signed onto AOL!

I believe that MS needs to drop the price at E3, and then they need to have a serious talk with developers. The biggest problem right now is the game lineup... and with the exception of Morrowind, the lineup looks pretty dry until September or October.

Since the Xbox was released, I've bought a whopping two games. My brother has five games, and three of those came with the package deal we got when we preordered our Xbox back in October. The games that ARE coming out are nothing more than ports (most of which have been substandard in every way) and rehashed storylines. Oh... how could I forget the plethora of sports and stupid racing games?

Personally, I can't stand sports games or racing games. I haven't enjoyed fighters (like DOA3) since I was 13 (that was 11 years ago). FPSs are okay if they're done right, but the majority of the ones out or coming out are sci-fi related and there's no genre in this world that I hate more than sci-fi (Max Payne wasn't sci-fi, but it was just awful). If it's not sci-fi, it seems to have to be anime or taking place in Japan or China, something I'm also getting very bored with. Where's the variety? For the record, my only two games are Silent Hill 2 and Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat.

All they really need to do is incorporate some variety into their lineup (along with a price cut) and things should settle down nicely for them... but I don't see this happening for many months.

What worries me most is that Sony is cutting the prices of the games, and that's something I don't think MS is going to be able to afford, since that's where they make all their money from Xbox...

very well said Master Gracey. Well I own a mere 7 (or 8?) Xbox titles and half of them are really weak games.
My previous console was the DC and I ended up with 40 games (1 third of them were lame) and I dont see my Xbox library glowing very fast.
Yes they the Xbo needs more original exclusive games, but they need to know how to market them as well.
That's like Square releasing FF games with no T.V. or print ads. It would only sell on word of mouth.
So they spend multi-millions of dollars to push their respective software.
If MS does not it will fail. No matter how much more superior their console it to it's compo.:)

GokuX
05-14-2002, 01:20 PM

but we know which version will own all asses!;)

Yeah I know man, the Gameboy Advance version is gonna rule all others.

melon
05-14-2002, 01:20 PM
I'm not worrying about anything like that yet..What will determine how xbox will do is this upcoming holiday season. Because you know there is awesome games coming out. So they really have to push the xbox this year. I think it will be too late by 2003, ya know what i mean?

UltraMuffin
05-14-2002, 02:03 PM
Think of it this way though... while we're following the Xbox for the next few years, we should definitly get our share of good games... but the PS2 will also get its share of good games... So once the PS3 comes out and no one cares about their PS2 anymore, I'll buy a (possibly used) PS2 real cheap, and buy all its good games for $15 or less... That's the beauty of all these consoles bein so competitive and releasing lots of great games, sooner or later you'll be able to buy them dirt cheap and really have a party hehe.

jvpunk21
05-14-2002, 02:39 PM
Microsoft is looking ahead to the long term. The fact that sony is even competing with microsoft and nintendo is cutting into profits and not letting them run away with all the money. Sony is not exactly in the best financial situation. The console industry is basically their only big profit maker. The rest of their businesses have lost much market share every quarter. Microsoft has approx. 30 BILLION dollars in liquid cash assets!!( Money magazine, april i think). This is twice as much as the next 4 biggest companies combined. Remember, Microsoft gave away many free utilities like internet explorer at a loss in order to under cut netscape. They lost lot in development cost short term but their long term strategy paid off in that they bascially have no substantial browser competitors. The xbox this year is meant to put financial strain on sony and nintendo and then eventually take over th market when sony and nintendo stop making money (theoretically). This is a long term plan for to reap in profits farther done the road and take over yet another indistry. Thus, xbox is not meant to win it all out just yet.

Kooster
05-14-2002, 03:14 PM
Sony hasnt won anything. Xbox has only been out 6 months. Just wait for the games and online play..... People will soon see that Xbox is better and buy it at its cheap price. I cant explain everything because I have so many times. I think the best thing for yall to do is not worry, and just wait. MS has some tricks up its sleeve...

egg
05-14-2002, 03:16 PM

I believe that MS needs to drop the price at E3, and then they need to have a serious talk with developers. The biggest problem right now is the game lineup... and with the exce
ption of Morrowind, the lineup looks pretty dry until September or October.

Since the Xbox was released, I've bought a whopping two games. My brother has five games, and three of those came with the package deal we got when we preordered our Xbox back in October. The games that ARE coming out are nothi
ng more than ports (most of which have been substandard in every way) and rehashed storylines. Oh... how could I forget the plethora of sprts and stupid racing games?

What worries me most is that Sony is cutting the prices of the games, and that's something I don't think MS is going to be able to afford, since thats where they make all their money from Xbox...

Hmmmmm Lets break down your little post...The main subject in your post is there are no games that interest you now or later.... You state that you HATE Sports and driving games....you also say no fighting games have interested you for a while.... FPS suck unless they are done right...which means the way you like it... and you think anything Sci-fi sucks....
If the game is in cartoon form or based in Japan or China it stinks Well dog!!!! You are either stuck in.. "IF ITS NOT A RPG IT SUCKS faze or(MAYBE YOU SHOULD SIT DOWN).. You have outgrown video games**GASP** I may be wrong but thats what I get from your post......

Game on!!!!!

FuNkY mOnK
05-14-2002, 03:25 PM
What hotshot and jvpunk21 says is right, lets all wait until e3 when analysts give us the full-blown report. Right now where going on assumptions.

Master Gracey
05-14-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by egg
Hmmmmm Lets break down your little post...The main subject in your post is there are no games that interest you now or later.... You state that you HATE Sports and driving games....you also say no fighting games have interested you for a while.... FPS suck unless they are done right...witch means the way you like it... and you think anything Sci-fi sucks....
If the game is in cartoon form or based in Japan or China it stinks Well dog!!!! You are either stuck in.. "IF ITS NOT A RPG IT SUCKS faze or(MAYBE YOU SHOULD SIT DOWN).. You have outgrown video games**GASP** I may be wrong but thats what I get from your post......

I can break down your post as well...

The reason I don't like sports games is because I prefer the real thing to a videogame. It's not tough to go out and get a game going, no matter where you are. Just call some friends... I'd rather be physically active than sitting in front of a TV with a console. As for racing, I have a very low frustration tolerance when it comes to videogames, and racers usually stress me out for some reason. I think of games as stress-relievers so I don't play games that cause it.

Fighters, to me, are button mashers... I prefer games with a little more finesse. To me, stealth and strategy are fun. In order to be enjoyable, games have to take me away from real life. Fighters are so one-dimensional that they can't do this. Storyline is what I look for most in a game... the graphics could be complete crap, but as long as the story is good, I'll buy it.

As for the sci-fi comment, I only have two words: personal taste. Alot of people love sci-fi and I respect that. So please respect the fact that I'd rather watch water spiral down the toilet than watch (or play) anything sci-fi.

The same goes for anime. I can't stand it, but alot of people love it (sorry, Ninja, please don't slash me! :D) You can't say I don't like cartoon games, because some of my fav games are the Looney Toons titles that were out on PSX, which are now going to be coming out on Xbox starting with Taz Wanted. And unlike other people who like reaslistic graphics, I kinda like cel shading! JSRF's gameplay sucked, but I loved it's style.

And don't say that I'm stuck in an RPG craze, because I've never really enjoyed them. I've never owned or played a Final Fantasy title. I've SEEN them, and I have played some other RPGs enough to know that the whole idea of turn-based fighting was ridiculous. I've always thought Dungeons & Dragons was dumb... even as a child when I had friends who played it constantly (before the first videogame RPG had ever come out). I'm looking forward to Morrowind and Project Ego because they seem to take the best out of several genres and put them together in games that will take you to another place and give you free reign.

As for your "outgrowing" videogames comment... I'm 24 and have been playing since I got my first Atari at the age of 5. That's NOT bound to happen anytime soon. My tastes in games are just odd. I like story-driven titles that either take place in history (and are historically accurate), employ strategy tactics and make you forget the real world for awhile. I grew up with the adventure titles from Lucasarts (Indy, Monkey Island, Sam & Max) and Sierra (King's Quest, Conquests of Longbow, Police Quest). It's a shame that it's so hard to find a game that engages not just the fingers, but the mind.

Soulflystoffel
05-14-2002, 03:52 PM
I really don't know. Short but true.

CALzinger
05-14-2002, 03:57 PM
the war? what war? the one against the taliban?

kornavs19
05-14-2002, 04:03 PM
GTA III would help alot to.... I've felt this way 4 a while but everytime some1 says something u guys gang up on him so i didnt want to sound like a traitor but M$ really has to step it up and unleash an amazing game library. X-Box is better hardware wise but without games it is nothing..... We'll have to wait and c what gos on at E3 cuz if they dont "unleash the dragon" on sonys ass then im sorry to say but i dont think M$ will b able to catch up.

Master Gracey
05-14-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by lmpbzktnkorn23
GTA III would help alot to.... I've felt this way 4 a while but everytime some1 says something u guys gang up on him so i didnt want to sound like a traitor but M$ really has to step it up and unleash an amazing game library.

Ugh... MORE GTA3??? Shut up about it already!

j/k :D :D :D

That's a good point though... if Rockstar had just come out and said something (or strategically let it "slip out") I think we, as Xbox fans, would all have a bit more respect for them. Giving us Max Payne and announcing State of Emergency isn't helping their case... they both suck. And if they locked in some kind of deal with Sony, then they're just stupid. Halo sold a million copies, and GTA3 could've done the same thing because it's such a sweet game. It was guaranteed profit that R* possibly walked away from, and that's dumb from a business standpoint.

We'll just have to do what lmpbzktnkorn said and wait for E3. If nothing's announced, then I don't think I'll care about GTA now or anytime in the future. R* would have to do something really spectacular to win back my respect.

egg
05-14-2002, 05:05 PM

I can break down your post as well...

The reason I don't like sports games is because I prefer the real thing to a videogame. It's not tough to go out and get a game going, no matter where you are. Just call some friends... I'd rather be physically active than sitting in front of a TV with a console. As for racing, I have a very low frustration tolerance when it comes to videogames, and racers usually stress me out for some reason. I think of games as stress-relievers so I don't play games that cause it.

Fighters, to me, are button mashers... I prefer games with a little more finesse. To me, stealth and strategy are fun. In order to be enjoyable, games have to take me away from real life. Fighters are so one-dimensional that they can't do this. Storyline is what I look for most in a game... the graphics could be complete crap, but as long as the story is good, I'll buy it.

As for the sci-fi comment, I only have two words: personal taste. Alot of people love sci-fi and I respect that. So please respect the fact that I'd rather watch water spiral down the toilet than watch (or play) anything sci-fi.

The same goes for anime. I can't stand it, but alot of people love it (sorry, Ninja, please don't slash me! :D) You can't say I don't like cartoon games, because some of my fav games are the Looney Toons titles that were out on PSX, which are now going to be coming out on Xbox starting with Taz Wanted. And unlike other people who like reaslistic graphics, I kinda like cel shading! JSRF's gameplay sucked, but I loved it's style.

And don't say that I'm stuck in an RPG craze, because I've never really enjoyed them. I've never owned or played a Final Fantasy title. I've SEEN them, and I have played some other RPGs enough to know that the whole idea of turn-based fighting was ridiculous. I've always thought Dungeons & Dragons was dumb... even as a child when I had friends who played it constantly (before the first videogame RPG had ever come out). I'm looking forward to Morrowind and Project Ego because they seem to take the best out of several genres and put them together in games that will take you to another place and give you free reign.

As for your "outgrowing" videogames comment... I'm 24 and have been playing since I got my first Atari at the age of 5. That's NOT bound to happen anytime soon. My tastes in games are just odd. I like story-driven titles that either take place in history (and are historically accurate), employ strategy tactics and make you forget the real world for awhile. I grew up with the adventure titles from Lucasarts (Indy, Monkey Island, Sam & Max) and Sierra (King's Quest, Conquests of Longbow, Police Quest). It's a shame that it's so hard to find a game that engages not just the fingers, but the mind.

Now let me break this post down also...... J/K
:) Thats why there is such a variety of games.. What one person thinks is game of the year is another persons not worth renting....

Game on!!

Master Gracey
05-14-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by egg
Now let me break this post down also...... J/K
:) Thats why there is such a variety of games.. What one person thinks is game of the year is another persons not worth renting....

LOL! :D

That's a good point... I just have very odd tastes in videogames. So far, there's been next to nothing released for Xbox that's suited my tastes, but I can easily name 20 games coming out in the next year that I'm psyched about. Only problem is that 19 out of the 20 aren't being released until October/November.

El Gaucho Goof
05-14-2002, 05:21 PM
I'm not gonna bother going through these thread post by post, but it seems like no one really considesrs the GC to be part of these "war."

I mean before the Xbox can catch up with the PS2 it has to beat the GC. And by my last account, it's ahead of the GC in da USA by a like 2-300 k. Other than that I believe the GC is beating the Box in Japan and Europe.

So I think it would be fair for you people to remember it's a 3 legged race not 2.

Kraft
05-14-2002, 05:27 PM
you should have went through the thread post by post, because GC is in there. I think there is less mention because Nintendo has a less argueable position. Pretty much the gamecube can be summed up as "We have an awesome console too" which you can't argue with. I think the box and GC are going to be neck and neck as far as quality and sales go for a while. What is really getting people is PS2 fans trying to say what a superior system they have. Superior in sales? yes. They ougt to be, otherwise they would be in the same catagory as Turbo Graffix 16, Jaguar, Saturn and some others... ie. crappy consoles that can't sell to save their existances, which they obviously didn't. But superior in hardward? LOL. Right. We all know the answer to this. unfortunately PS2 fans are milking that system for all its worth based soley on hype and rhetoric.

FuNkY mOnK
05-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Game cube has what ps2 and xbox will never see and that’s Nintendo’s franchise of excellence, so they have no problem. The industry refers the cube as the sleeping giant. That aside, xbox will never see games like Mgs2 dmc gta3 of this stature unless M$ can prove that it will have an overwhelming fan base. On a hypothetical note if xbox would have sold 30 million units in the six months, Sony would have been gonzo in the developer’s eyes. It’s all about fan base, and if the numbers dont change no developer will commit them self’s, and it’s good bye xbox.

Master Gracey
05-14-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
That aside, xbox will never see games like Mgs2 dmc gta3 of this stature unless M$ can prove that it will have an overwhelming fan base.

I hate to be politically correct, but it was inadvertently announced last week that Xbox is getting a MGS title. It showed up in the company's annual report. :D

That said, I have to admit I've never played a Metal Gear game, and don't know what they're like so I'm kinda moot as to it's Xbox release. I hear it's good so I'll have to try it when it comes out.

Anonymous
05-14-2002, 06:25 PM
The problem IS as master gracey has stated, there isn't enough "must get this title for x-box" out right now to bolster sales.

MS is making a good move by cutting prices, but it needs better games as well.

So more people own X-boxes, big deal. Sales will plateau yet again unless they come out with great games. How many football games does the x-box need anyways? I like sports games, but please! We need some really good exclusive games.

Sony's price cut of $199.99 will definately affect MS in a big way. For myself, I'll get the Sony to compliment my x-box. It has some great games out NOW. This will affect my cash pool to buy x-box games. Why? Because there aren't enough GOOD games for the x-box.

MS does have deep pockets and the ability to look ahead. Hopefully everything works out.

kornavs19
05-14-2002, 06:59 PM
now that were taln about gc....its goanna still stay in this race because there going on-line also. i saw in another thread that they'll b goin on-line before the end of 2002.

FuNkY mOnK
05-14-2002, 07:06 PM
I hate to be politically correct, but it was inadvertently announced last week that Xbox is getting a MGS title. It showed up in the company's annual report. :D

I know mgs/substance is coming to xbox as well as to ps2 and pc, what I mean is that without a large fan base or a proven track record xbox will never get this type of franchise from big hitters like konami.

Master Gracey
05-14-2002, 07:30 PM
I know mgs/substance is coming to xbox as well as to ps2 and pc, what I mean is that without a large fan base or a proven track record xbox will never get this type of franchise from big hitters like konami.

True, true...

And the only way they're going to get that kind of franchise is by releasing some first-party games that will blow everyone away (since third-partys aren't going to be wooed until they can see what the Xbox is capable of).

Good first-party games can maximize the power of the Xbox, and hopefully draw in the sales that will convince the third-partys that Xbox is here to stay. There may be one of these on the way: The Unseen. It's slated for a big unveiling at E3.

Calve
05-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Who gives a $hit!!!!

why do you care about a war??? We';re all gamers and have our own opinions on what console to buy!!!

personally i want all systems to be close in sales so no company will go out of business.....we will get better games this way.....it doesnt matter on any system!!!

Peace

Belt Fed
05-14-2002, 09:45 PM
I happen to be a big pc gamer and was going to purchase an xbox tomorrow, but i think i will wait a couple of days now. but what i am getting at is i dont care if the ps2 went down to 99 bucks i still would not buy one because the xbox is the closest thing to a pc and when it comes to online gaming the ps2 is going to fail big time. The good games are coming to xbox and the the whole thing will change when people see those games on the xbox compared to the ps2. just a matter of time. sony is nervous thats why the jump on the price slash.

DBXNY
05-14-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by jvpunk21
Microsoft is looking ahead to the long term. The fact that sony is even competing with microsoft and nintendo is cutting into profits and not letting them run away with all the money. Sony is not exactly in the best financial situation. The console industry is basically their only big profit maker. The rest of their businesses have lost much market share every quarter. Microsoft has approx. 30 BILLION dollars in liquid cash assets!!( Money magazine, april i think). This is twice as much as the next 4 biggest companies combined. Remember, Microsoft gave away many free utilities like internet explorer at a loss in order to under cut netscape. They lost lot in development cost short term but their long term strategy paid off in that they bascially have no substantial browser competitors. The xbox this year is meant to put financial strain on sony and nintendo and then eventually take over th market when sony and nintendo stop making money (theoretically). This is a long term plan for to reap in profits farther done the road and take over yet another indistry. Thus, xbox is not meant to win it all out just yet.

Jvpunk21 -

I'd agree and say you probably hit it on the nose. I'd say there is a console war, but I think most folks here are wrong in thinking part of the goal is to outsell PS2. I don't think MS wants to outsell PS2 at all. What I think they just want to do now is to get an install base as much as possible - and considering the amount of money they have, I'll bet they're probably willing to give the X-boxes away for as little as possible to get it. I think this could help them more in the long run because they would have already penetrated the market - making it much easier to sell what ever gaming idea they already have up their sleaves for the future.

Sony is scared, and I'd say the lowering of the PS2's price before the X-box in the US shows this. Frankly, I think they have plenty of reasons to be. Microsoft wants a good chunk of Sony's market share in the industry, and if getting it means not making much of a profit in the short term, I think they are more than willing to do so.

I do wonder, however, how Nintendo is going to hold up in all this - especially considering their major marketing pitch and seller was probably the $199 low price tag.

OZXboxAddict
05-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Everybody talks about how much $$$ M$ has, just think about how much of that they would have used just in market research and analysis of the gaming industry.

They knew exactly what they were getting into when they started development on the Xbox. Their first point of strategising would have been to deconstruct Sony as the market leader, its marketing strategies and competitive mechanisms. That is not all that difficult as Sony has had great marketing and their reaction to competition has been to price cut the competition out via hardware and software.

M$ knew this current pricing war would come about but as we get into the next generation of gaming they have the edge. Both companies have the pockets to virtually give away the machines but Sony will still need to sell additional hardware to give its "Ps2 or die' fans the next generation gaming experience of online play, something Xbox owners will not have to fork out for. This is not just for online play either.

The real momentum gathered by Sony for PS1 and 2 has been mass marketing followed up by word of mouth. Word of mouth is always going to be the most efficient form and a lot of people would go to a friends house get blown away by some games and then go buy one themselves. An example could be in 6 months time a friend coming over to your house playing Unreal Championship online, wetting their pants, going home to their PS2 and thinking '"****e, now I have to go buy an Xbox!!" or alternatively "****e, now I have to go spend a fortune getting adapters and a hard drive for my PS2" and still not having the same experience due to the processing power of the xbox and that fact that is was purpose built with online in mind (btw same applies to the Gamecube!)

Its a long term strategy and Microsoft went into the foray with a five year strategy and its now Sony and Nintendo that are having to change theirs. Having backwards compatability definitely helped the PS2 his time round but with games development looking forward so will consumers. I think I made a well informed decision when I bought my xbox over PS2 (because I don't have the dosh of M$ to buy both - even though I had a HUGE PS1 library) because I wanted a system that would keep evolving and developing well into the next five years. I think other consumers in the gaming market place will eventually come to the same conclusion?

Nerrad529
05-15-2002, 01:49 AM
xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox xbox if you don't agree go play your ps2

FuNkY mOnK
05-15-2002, 04:55 AM
The analysis you guys are giving is very comforting to hear as xbox owners, and quite frankly when we hear it from M$ themselves that things are not as good as planed, then I’d say we have something to worry about, but we hear nothing but the future from M$ so sleep tight because gaming is about to change.

Ninja Scroll
05-16-2002, 10:59 AM
The analysis you guys are giving is very comforting to hear as xbox owners, and quite frankly when we hear it from M$ themselves that things are not as good as planed, then I’d say we have something to worry about, but we hear nothing but the future from M$ so sleep tight because gaming is about to change.

That is true Funky Monk, atleast MS is being honest with us by admitting the sales figures are not up to par as they would have hoped for.
But to all those saying it doesnt matter who wins da wars is not a gamer.
As long as any of the three companies are making profits it's all good. But to be number #1 means everything.
You dont think Nintendo is pi$$ed that they have not been da big dawg ever since the SNES days?
Yeah,... and by being in 3rd place look at the 3rd party support they are getting now... not much...
OOOHHH dats right,.. the wars mean nothing.:rolleyes:

OppiumNitrates
05-16-2002, 11:13 AM
quick question ya'll

honda or mercedes?

which car is better?

i think honda sells more cars